Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Time to start afresh for a new season :)
How many times have you visited Bulgaria? What draws you to it?
Hi,

I'm Dave and I live in Varna Bulgaria.... I'm pleased to help you understand this crazy country if I can.........

:sun2
Well Fiona I got an early retirement offer....So I took it :rofl
But I'm not quite an OAP yet... :rofl
I've lived out here (In Varna) for a while so I know the pitfalls...

:tup
Hoowster, as a regular visitor to the Varna Area, where is the new shopping mall situated, it is supposed to be open for trading by end of this month. Thanks. Tonyt
Hi Tony,

where is the new shopping mall situated, it is supposed to be open for trading by end of this month.

Mall Varna is on the junction of Vladislav Varnenchik with Hristo Smirnenski.

The site of Grand Mall Varna is by the Central Bus Station, near the junction of Academician Andrey Saharov Street with Vladislav Varnenchik.

I believe that the former is the one which is to open soon, as the first tenants' meeting was held in Golden Sands in March.

Baldur

<Edit> Have now found links to both (below), Grand Mall still appears very much to be a 'work in progress', judging by the February 2008 'current status' photos. I recall another relatively small mall development being pointed out by a Bulgarian friend last September but can't recall its exact location; I think that it was somewhere around the Palace of Culture & Sports/Chaika area.

Mall Varna

Grand Mall Varna
Two malls are definitely open, well they were just over a week ago, but very very empty, Bulgarian friends have said they find them very expensive, can't remember exactly where the ones are that are open as it has been a very very long week back in school, starting off with BT cutting through the internet and phone line whilst they were suposed to be installing something else for the school...... The markets are much more exciting and cheaper.
Two malls are definitely open, well they were just over a week ago, but very very empty

Imagine what it will be like when all of the mall developments are open: Pfohe Mall, Central Plaza, Mall Varna, Grand Mall Varna, Gallery Mall, Cherno More Park, and Varna Towers, plus the smaller ones which have already been operational for some time, such as Piccadilly Park and large supermarkets like Praktiker - the amount of retail space available/being developed for such a relatively small population mirrors the lack of realistic planning & overdevelopment in the beach resorts, in my opinion.

Baldur
Bearing in mind also the very small amount of disposable income the resident Bulgarians have, I can see them being 'white elephants'.

At least some Bulgarians will find employment there.

Patka
I can see them being 'white elephants'.

Yes, I saw the same last year in Dobrich, where two large electrical goods stores, Technopolis & Technomarket opened with great fanfares & full car parks (for a week or two), only to become virtual 'ghost towns' afterwards.

As you say, the prospective boost for employment is a positive, but for how long can that employment be expected to last with so many outlets vying for such limited sales potential?

Baldur
Hi I've been to Sunny Beach twice, 2003 & 2005. I loved the place the first time round. There were not nearly as many people in the resort back then. I much preferred it when it was smaller and more laid back. Went further down the coast to Sozopol in 2006 and loved it there. Have had a change of scenery in Majorca last year & this year. Next year it's back to Bulgaria - Ozbor this time.
:sun2
anyone getting excited about their holidays? :)
I have been nine times to Sunny Beach since 2001. This year I will go twice to Sunny Beach. I know a lot of people, who work there. They are waiting that I will come back to SB. Between the holidays we write us emails and sms.

I often went on excursions so I know a little bit of the "real" Bulgaria. But next year I wish to see something of the southwest Bulgaria. Therefore I will stay in a little town in this area, may be in Devin, Blagoevgrad or something like this.

Manfred
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.