We returned from Bulgaria at the end of August. The weather was fantastic and the resort, although a bit Blackpoolish, had everything we needed and wanted. We saw no trouble when we were out there, ate at a different bar every night - some meals were better than others but none were bad. We went to the cinema in Nessabar twice, the films were in English with sub titles. Catching the late bus home from Nessabar to Sunny Beach was an experience, more of a laugh than a bad one though. We preferred Nessabar to Sunny Beach and if we returned to Bulgaria we would probably look to stay in Nessabar.

Our only complaint about the holiday was our hotel, Ivana Palace. The hotel has the makings of a good hotel, the rooms are spacious and the pool is brilliant. However customer service does not appear to have reached the reception staff at the hotel and security is non-exsistent. Each time we left the hotel we would hand in our keys. On numerous occassions when we went back for them we were informed that they did not have them and we had not handed them in. As far as they are concerned that is it. Your problem. They start talking to each other and ignore you. You stand there like an idiot. When they realise you are not going away they start searching again. On two occassions they key was actually thrown at me across the counter when it was found and landed on the floor! No apology. One night a girl spent ages looking for our key and informed us that she was not sure where it was as she did not work at the hotel she was the security guards girlfriend. We rented a secuirty box from the hotel. However when we requested them to open the door and use their key to open our box (it worked on two keys, one we kept, one they kept), they rarely could find their key to the security room. We waited in a queue one morning for fiftheen minutes whilst they looked for their key.

Breakfast was unedible but we expected this before we went. What we did not expect was to be surrounded by so many wasps. Thankfully Friends Hotel and Bar is opposite Ivana and everyone appeared to go there to eat.

On checking out we were informed that we had stained two sheets whilst we were there and that we were to be charged 40 lev. We were at the Ivana for two weeks and the sheets were not changed in that time, so they may have been right! We refused to pay for the sheets and asked to see them. They produced two sheets from the office behind them that had massive stains on them. This was not done by us and we refused to pay. We put our suitcases in the holding room and went to Friends. When we returned to our cases a little while later two of them had gone. We went to reception and asked for the Police to be called as our bags had been stolen and were informed that they had taken them and would not return them until we paid 40 lev and that they had been told to do this by the Balkain holiday rep. We went to the General Manager and demanded that our bags be returned. She refused. I asked for the rep to be called and she again refused. So we sat in her office and in the end she called the rep and spoke to him in Bulgarian. She then gave me the phone to talk to him and he told me to just pay the 40 lev as it wasn't much. I told him the amount was not the point and we would not pay and why had he told them to take our bags. He said he had not said that and they were lying. I asked him to come to the hotel but he informed me that he was back at the office and too busy and to pay the amount and if we did not then they would increase it! We had no choice but to pay and we insisted on taking the sheets. I asked for a complaints form and was informed by the General Manager that they did not accept complaints. She even refused to give her name! We put the sheets in a dumpster opposite the hotel and later saw reception staff going to the dumpster and pulling out the sheets.

We will not be booking a holiday with Balkain holidays again. This is obviously a scam they are aware off and allow to carry on.

From what we heard from other peoples experiences on the plane home, Bulgaria can build as many nice hotels as it likes but until the hotels get there customer service and food right I can't see many people returning.