Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi lou770-0,

Wecome to the board!

There are some recent prices quoted in posts, if you have a look around - e.g. this thread.

Can't help on the Ivana Palace, I'm afraid but it's only about 1.5 kilometres from the centre of the resort, so there should be plenty of everything within easy walking distance.

Baldur
Thanks Baldur :tup
Haven't found anyone with info on the ivana palace hotel as yet.
Im sure it will be nice but would like to hear from people who have recently been.
Looking forward to going although a little worried by some of the reviews ive read about sunny beach, e.g pick pockets, prostitutes.
You'll find pickpockets in any area of the world where there are crowds, especially in holiday areas, when people tend to have their brains in 'relaxation mode' - just take normal precautions.

I have seen prostitutes in Sunny Beach and other resorts (from a distance) as well as in lay-bys on main & side roads in Bulgaria but can't say that they have ever been a problem.

Baldur
lou, why would prostitutes bother you? if you don't want, don't get one... i've never heard of dangerous prostitutes :)
this is the info i've found on Ivana palce hotel:

you can find more reviews of ivana palace on
ww w.picturesofbulgaria.com/hotel/ivana_palace_hotel_479.html
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2008-06-12 09:07:44
    To remove copyrighted material from other websites
Hi, Me and Mrs. P are going to the Ivana Palace on 5th July, just booked this week with Balkan Hols. Have not been to the Ivana or SB previously, so it will be "all new to us". I will do a review etc on my return.
I've seen quite a few sites with the Ivana featured ( they have there own web site), pics etc, looks large, modern and good pool/sun terrace etc. and good reports. We are going B&B as all you read about Bulgaria states not to go HB etc as hotel food is generally poor, and it's still cheap to eat out, so will try the breakfasts!
You can find the Ivana on google earth, if you zoom in on the western end of SB, a bit behind the big Victoria Palace/Majestic hotels which are on the front,Ivana is on the other side of the main road. The Ivana is only 300M from the beach and you can then walk along the sea front prom to the centre in 15 -20 mins, or get a bus from near the hotel (so i've been told).
We are looking forward to seeing SB as we usually go to Turkey, Tunisia, Egypt etc. I have also read the 'negitive' reports about crime etc in SB and I am really not that worried as we will take care and stay alert, as we always do.
Recently I read similar negitive reports about Benidorm (crime, muggings, prositutes etc), we went earlier in the year and had a great time, didn't see any bother at all. I am not saying it does not happen, but as long as you are careful, use a hotel safe etc, you should be fine, I'll soon find out for myself!

Have a good hol, I'll be back on HT with a report when we get back.

Ray.
Thanks in advance for your report, Ray, have a great holiday.

For anyone wishing to check out the Ivana Palace's location in the North-West of the resort, just copy & paste the following co-ordinates 42 42'28.10N 27 43'10.56E into the 'Fly to' box in Google Earth, which will take you straight to the hotel.

Baldur
Baldur - Thanks for the info above, much quicker than searching around the map to find it!

Ray
I always try (not always successfully) to make life a little easier, Ray. ;)
Baldur
Hi Ray :wave:
Thanks for all the info, would love to hear how you get on once your back!!!! Were stopping B&B also, hotel looks really nice.
It sounds as if the prices have gone up on food & drink in Bulgaria since last year from some of the reviews. :que
I think were going to have to take slightly more spending money than i originally planned to. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
Hope you have a fab time!!!!
Please write back to me once your back, I would very much appreciate it.
Happy Hols :sun2
Louise :cheers
Hi Louise,

It sounds as if the prices have gone up on food & drink in Bulgaria since last year

Food prices for the average Bulgarian have reportedly increased by the highest percentage in the EU (25% since last April, according to this report), so that increase is bound to be reflected in the resorts.

Drinks prices, in general (i.e. outside the resorts) are about the same as last year or only very slightly higher.

Sterling's poor exchange rate is also going to make things more expensive to those of us from the UK.

Baldur
Finally the day has come, off to SB this afternoon from sunny Newcastle. Looking forward to our first trip to SB and to the Ivana Palace hotel, hope it's as nice as the pics!
Flying with good old Balkan Airlines, direct I hope?
Will report back about hotel ASAP.
Weather looks good for next week, reporting Sunny and high 80's until at least Thursday?

Ray
rude staff,no hot water between 6pm and 7pm because everybodys having a shower at the same time,was the reply when i asked the receptionist,this occured 3 nights out of 7,same reply when i went to book a jacuzzi twice,85% germans,staff are up their own arse and lousy breakfast,no thanks i'll not be going back
Hi diddler and welcome to HT!

I would appreciate it if you would be the first to post a review HERE

Thanks

luci :wave
Hi All, (especially Louise Re August trip to the Ivana Palace in SB),

Back from Ivana Palace yesterday (12/7), we loved it!

Sorry, but can't agree with 'Diddler' as we found the hotel to be really nice and had none of the problems diddler mentioned.
I would agree that some staff at breakfast rarely smiled or spoke, they just got on with things and cleared tables really quickly, after all we were simply in the restaurant to eat breakfast and get out (to the sun & pool) as soon as possible. Food at b'fast was the same each day but a reasonable selection, and if you'd gone in SC accomm' you'd have to do it yourself AND wash up. We found b'fast ok for a week but if we'd been for 2 weeks I would have had a few breakfasts out, there's a pub/bar opposite the Ivana entrance called FRIENDS, and they do full b'fast, snacks and evening meals, very handy for the hotel. Also loads of places 5 mins away on the beach/prom doing food all day.

I have just done a full report of the Ivana on the HT Review section.

We liked the Ivana and found it a very easy going hotel with no strict rules etc. The Lobby Bar was very good and ran by a lovelly, friendly couple who worked all hours.

I would not hestitate to go back to the Ivana Palace, and just in case anyone is wondering, we have been abroad on holiday many times (usually 3 times a year if possible), and we have stayed in many different hotels and apartments in Turkey (15 times to various resorts), Tunisia, Egypt, Greece and good old Spain/Majorca/Canaries, So please don't think I am easily pleased, anything but!

Overall the standard of hotels in Sunny Beach was far higher than Turkey or Greece, most were of Spanish 4 star standard, the big let-down is the food in hotels is generally poor. So we would recommend B&B (or SC) and eat out for main meals.

Hope you enjoy SB and the Ivana as much as we did.

Ray.P and Mrs.P
Thanks for your report Ray. Pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. I agree most of the big hotels have problems regarding the food, thats why you should never consider HB or AI in Bg.
This forum(and others) have worried people before their holiday with their horror stories, but the majority return with positive reports. I agree that some return with stories of muggings,etc but all you need is common sense and be aware of what's happening around you. I read some weeks ago about a gentleman who was beaten up by the police for roaming into the wrong complex late at night, he actually owned an apartment there, surely he must know where he had invested his money?????
Hi all,

I have just joined as Im also heading to Bulgaria in August just like lou and I was also finding it so hard to find out any information on Ivana Palace. Id like to thank Ray for his review I read it on HT reviews and its great it has taken a weight off my shoulders. ;) :tup
Due to the fact that there is a large group of us going to Sunny Beach Kids, singles, couples all differentn types we are so nervous that we are not going to be able to please everyone. I have heard many mixed reports about Bulgaria on things to do and the prices seem to have very mixed comments Im wondering has anyone got any tips..??
Hi Ray
Thanks for putting your review on.
Glad you had a nice time & the hotel was nice, its nice to hear off someone who has recently been.
2 1/2 wks till we go and looking forward to it!!!!
How did you find prices out there for food & drink?
Was the hotel bar reasonably priced?
Louise
Hi There!

Yes we are Swedish and are staying at the Ivana Palace! but dont worry we don't bite :tup. don't believe all you read in the Newspapers on Pick pockets etc. the problem is far worse in London and other UK cities. Only advise is set a price with the taxis driver first as they have a habit of driving the longest route possible ie: a 500m distance can become a 5km taxis ride through the suburbs of sunny beach.

Ha så bra!

Mvh
A
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.