Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Most electronic goods are cheaper and if you ask they will give you an international warantee but I have found that Apple products are almost the same price every where so unless he is willing to try a different brand he might be disapointed.
We had a look for ipods and could not find a bargain- husband kept saying he could get same cheaper through ebay! We were actually quite surprised that we couldn't find a bargain though. May be you just need to know the right place!
Thanks Rick and Fiona - I suspected that may be the case!
I think Apple strictly regulate their prices worldwide.

It's a shame - I was going to pick one up in Singapore in July...
Hi,

I bought the latest Olympus digital camera in Hong Kong 3 years ago. When I returned home 2 weeks later, it promptly failed and I got in contact with Olympus. They had never heard of the camera it was that new! As a gesture of goodwill and the fact that it was so new they ended up replacing it. Twelve months later the battery charger went down and I wrote to the MD stating that I had only used the charger 3 times and that the camera had already gone faulty, what was next. The MD as a gesture of goodwill again replaced the item.

I did not have an International guarantee, I would recommend anyone buying any electrical item to get one just in case you get problems like me. Luckily, Olympus are a good company and replaced my camera and charger, I was luckly, not every company is as generous.

Regards, Heather747.
Thanks Heather, we'll bear that in mind if we buy anything electrical
I bought an ipod in Hk about 18 months ago. the shop was off nathan road and I looked for one that seemed to have more locals than tourists in it.

I had gone in a few shops and could not get a particularly good deal and explained that ebay was cheaper - they were not amused. But the shop I bought from was prepared to haggle and offered a cheaper deal if i paid cash which i could not do. even so i got a great deal as the exchange rate was very favourable. i did have a problem with the ipod (which was my fault as i was charging it with its case still on) but it was within the 1st year so apple fixed it for no cost.

Best thing to do is check out deals on ebay before you go and as long as you're getting a better deal then go for it
I always have a check around the shops were every I go then pop into an internet cafe to do a price comparison (as usually they seem to have models of electronic goods I may not have considered) if you go for a non apple player you may find better bargains.
Thanks Miramol and Rickt.

Miramol - don't suppose you can remember the name of the shop can you?
I can't be a 100% sure but my memory is we had walked up nathan road from the harbour and turned left and I am pretty sure Kowloon park was across from it which would make it on Haiphong Road and if I'm right not too far along, possibly in the first block closest to nathan road. Sorry can't be any more specific as i would have hidden my receipt no doubt before flying home!
no problem. Thanks Miramol
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.