Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi - I've just come back from Goa - and I have to say I did quite a lot of shopping even though it was early in the season.

I've been going to Zorro's on Candolim Beach Road for years - it's a beautifully kitted out shop, full of hidden gems, and I spent quite a lot of time in there, trying things on, and nothing was too much trouble. Zorro is very good company and has been doing business in Goa for many years - and is full of good tips and contacts and won't let you get ripped off by anyone. He has an assortment of unusual pieces, and a wide selection of costume and high end rocks and gold and platinum jeweller, and very good quality diamonds and stones and he was very good at alerting me to jewellery cons that some stores pull off.

I purchased a 1.5 carat pair of diamond solitaires for 1,500 GBP and they have since been valued at 5,000 GBP - my jeweller was amazed at the quality - there were no flaws whatsoever.

So that's my tip - go see him, if nothing else, you will be assured of some good conversation, comfortable chair, aircon and a cold beer !

I'm going again in 2 months and am planning to take a couple of pieces which I would like copied and pieces to be mended - I would definitely trust him, as he appreciates repeat business, and I have had good and fair dealings with him.

His number is *** :sun2
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2008-10-29 18:21:51
    Phone number removed to protect from unwanted calls.
Been using Qasir opposit whispering palms for a lot of years and never been dissapointed once. The mans genuine, could not praise his honesty high enough.
heading back next week and just had to say we will be returning to Shamrock Jewellers opposite Ronil bach, the best in Goa!
I have been Christmas shopping in UK this week looking for gold bangles and necklace for wifes presents and cannot believe the prices, so thinking about going to Goa to buy. Could anyone give me a rough idea of cost of gold bangles from plain thin to quite thick with design. Thanks for any help.
:tup

Gold as gone up lots in the past 18mths, I brought mine when we went to bahrain we where able to do this as we had to stop there on the way to Goa cant remember cost but it worked out cheaper but even that had gone up loads from the yr before nearly double i think it was but like i say still cheaper than Goa. Hope this helps.

Pip
x

P
I think the diamonds in goa are good value but I don't think the gold is such a good deal. What I do know though is if you have any old gold items they can make you something to your design , if you give them enough time :tup
i'm thinking of getting a ring made when i go back to Goa but would welcome some tips on not getting ripped off. When we were there last a man used to walk up anddown the bach daily with a briefcase lokking very dodgy approaching random people asking if they were interested in buying ''prints'' which he had under his arm...or quietly 'jewellery perhaps' to which he would open his briefcase which contained loads of lovely blingy stuff. :tongue Now one couple who we met did have a ring made through him - massive ruby with diamonds - it looked fabulous! they paid almost £1000 for it and reckoned it would be valued 2500 quid back home!! They had taken their local beach shack ladies word that this man was genuine - and the ring did look authentic....BUT being nervy old me - is this the norm for Goa? Can you really get a genuine item of jewellery on the beach?? Has anyone been ripped off? What about jewellery shops - can anyone make any recommendations - we'll be in the Benaulim area over Xmas.
Hi

Interested in getting a necklace made in Goa. Not into Gold at all but would like perhaps a silver necklace with a pearl (not sure of design). Are pearls available in the jewllers?
Makes no difference if you buy off a guy on a beach in Goa or any other country, there will always be someone selling 'duff' gear, and spoiling business for the genuine ones.
We have been targeted by quite a few over the years and have always recognised the same faces, if these guys are selling crap, they are brave to return day after day - so it's your choice if you purchase. Most of them are however touts for coastal belt jewellers shops - check the threads about buying gold and quality shops to purchase from, but then again some HT'ers have had no problems, others have had 'bad' stones put in, or poor craftsmanship.
If you are serious about buying, price a few coastal shops up and then take a trip into Panaji or Mapsua or even further afield and see if you get any cheaper, we did and was very happy.
The last ring we had made was bought in Panaji, and it's a double band of 18ct gold, that shows a nice diamond set on top, but then you can turn the ring inside out and it shows a saphire - a nice piece of jewellery that is now a talking point, but we have now seen a few knocking about around Candolim/Calangute.
Paid around £200 for it and got a very good valuation price from Samuels here in the Uk - the write up about the quality of the stones was perfect.
We have used 4 different jewellers in the last 10 years and never had any probs.
Spike.
P.S Buying in Bahrain airport is one thing someone has suggested, but we have only ever had 45 mins to browse, try and buy so not enough time to make the right choice in my opinion.
The ring those people paid £1000 for I would have expected a return of at least £4500 !!!
I bought a pearl bracelet in the tibetan market, i saw rows of pearls that they used to make it, i picked my own pearls, so if the jewellers dont have them i am sure you could buy from the tibetans and take it to the jewellers with you.Check them carefully as some were not very good. Hope this helps Gel
:think i was thinking of having a gold diamond and emerald ring redesigned in calangute, now im not sure..
trouble is it was my mums and wanted to just use the stones and have them set on white gold or platinum,
any recomendations..
i've never heard the word "swear" before in that context...is it another word for dodgy gear?? :think
Hi nessywoo!,

Welcolme

You are not allowed to use swear words they will be deleted, so putting 'swear' in inverted commas you can replace it with whatever word takes your fancy!!

:rofl :rofl

jan x
so thinking about going to Goa to buy.

Rav4gold
I assume you're planning to visit Goa on holiday, rather than just to buy gold.....otherwise the flight will make your purchase pretty expensive. :think
As Walks has already said, "the price of gold is the price of gold". However, you will almost certainly pay less for the actual making of a piece of jewellery in Goa than you would in the UK.
Have you considered trying the jewellery quarter in Birmingham? I've read somewhere that you can get a good deal there.

Most of the guys with briefcases who walk up and down the beach in north Goa are connected with jewellery shops in the resorts.

On the subject of recommendations, you'll find lots of information here:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65870&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=living+jewels&start=200
I have bought jewellery from a guy on the beach. He had a shop more or less opposite the Oxford bookstore in Calangute. I bought some things on the beach, and also ordered a ring after looking at some designs. He didn't take any money from me that day, but we arranged to go and approve the ring and pay for everything a few days later. He let us take everything (except the ordered ring obviously) without any payment at that point.

If anyone's concerned, you could always arrange to go to the shop to check it out and discuss what you'd like/cost, rather than agreeing to anything from one of the guys at the beach at the time you see them there.

My ring was made in silver and wasn't wildly expensive, but it was just as described/ordered.
thanks for your comments everyone - important thing i've gathered is that you just have to use your noddle...bit of common sense..if anything seems to good to be true it probably is...however..perhaps be a teeny weeny bit trusting.....
hi just to let all customers of ali from highland beach shop that he has now moved next door to regent jewellers. if you go and he is not there just ask guy in bag shop he will let you know when he will be there.he is a good honest guy to deal with :)
Must agree with mollycat Ali is a great honest guy,give him a call at his new shop
he should be open sooooooon. :tup
ann
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.