Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:omg You never told us you got jewellery Miss sleeps .....
:rofl bought o/hs eternity, engagement and both our wedding rings from guru i not only recommend them i would not hesitate in using them again. it is next to rambo,s near the magnum candolim. roll on march 1st. :sun2
I have tried searching to see if there is already a topic on this and can't find one, so apologies if this is going over old ground.

I am planning to buy a ring with a small inheritance I have been left. I had planned to buy one in Turkey in May as we previously bought my engagement ring there. However, I have heard that Goa is a place that you can get very good value for gold and diamonds. Is this true? Is there an jewellers in Candolim you would recommend?
Haymans74
Here's some reading to keep you going:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65870&hilit=jewellery

In answer to your question:
Is there an jewellers in Candolim you would recommend?

I've bought from Living Jewels in Candolim for the last 8 seasons and always been more than satisfied with the quality of the workmanship and gems.
Coming from the Sinquerim end and heading towards Calangute, it's on the right hand side of the road just before the Panjim junction.

I'm sure you'll get many other replies from people who will give you personal recommendations for other shops.
We have used pop in jewelers on the beach road near Green Jacket restaurant.

One thing I would do is take a look in at least 4 or 5 shops, there are probably over 50 in Candolim.

Ask each one for what you want same weight and quality of the diamond and then compare prices.

You will be surprised at the variation in prices.
Haymans74
any jeweller should be able to make you any design you choose so if there's something particular you want, take either a photo or a sketch.

If you're thinking diamonds, take a look here for some education about the 4 'C's:
http://www.diamondgeezer.com/diamond-buyers-guide/how-to-buy-quality-diamonds-and-diamond-jewellery.php

Regardless of what gems I'm buying (sapphires, emeralds, rubies, tanzanite, diamonds etc) I NEVER buy ready-made jewellery. I always choose the stone and then choose the setting.

It might be a good idea to look in your local high street for comparable prices before you go - both in national chains (Ernest Jones etc ) and independants so that you know what you'd be paying over here and have some idea of how much of a bargain you're getting.

Don't believe everything that you're told in Goa.
I was in a jewellers in Candolim in November buying a pashmina (not my usual jeweller) and he asked if he could show me some jewellery.
After showing me sapphires and rubies, he got a .75 carat diamond out and told me it was Internally Flawless.
Unfortunately (for him) I wasn't totally clueless about diamonds and after getting my own loupe out and looking at the diamond I told him I could see a number of inclusions very easily so it certainly wasn't IF quality.
After looking himself, he agreed with me.

If I hadn't known better, would he have tried to sell that stone to me as IF?
Yes, probably.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.