Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Island Of Sal
120 Posts
Hi

We were planning to go to the Cape Verde Islands ( which are in the Atlantic at the same lattitude as the caribbean ) next February but got sidetracked by a stonking deal to Sandals in Jamaica.

The islands have a similar climate to the caribbean ( maybe a degree or two less hot ) but no hurricanes and excellent diving ( for experienced divers due to the prevailing currents ).

There will be a report on these islands on the BBC1 Holiday programme at 7.00pm on 28th Novemeber. I for one will be watching with intense interest.

Scubaman
yes
I was interested in them as well . Must remember to watch.
Did you guys watch it?
(BTW - I'm sure this was also on Amanda Lamb's top 20 places in the world to buy....)

They looked very diverse - lovely beaches on one island, hiking & bustling markets full of local flavour on another. Quite expensive to get there but somewhere I'd be interested in. I liked the fact that they were so different.
Definitely one to add to my wish list.
Oh no! I totally forgot!
Culturally very interesting - it's just the difficulty of getting there at the moment. Until one of the tour ops starts running a charter at least.....

Won't interest the low-costs (Easyjet etc) as - like the Canaries - it ties up an aircraft for the whole day so hard to make a profit. May potentially get someone like Monarch doing a mix of charter and seat-only schedules on one aircraft.

would like to get there one day
I thought there were direct flights there??
From the UK I think you have to go via somewhere Fiona (say Amsterdam) but as far as I know you land at Santiago which is the main island and then get a ferry to one of the other islands.

If anyone is interested, this is a website for Cape Verde - http://www.capeverdetravel.co.uk/
thanks Puddleduck
Maybe I had read there was a possibility of a non stop flight- possibly in an agents blurb!!
Hi I am new to this board. Have just returned from an inspection trip to Sal, Cape Verde Islands. The flight was OK from LHR to Lisbon then onto Sal, but there are direct flights starting from October/Nov 2006 from Birmingham and Gatwick. I would highly recommend the trip, beautiful weather, people, food and atmosphere, good accommodation. In fact 10/10. Great beaches and fabulous salt mines to visit, full of charm. Go and enjoy!!!!
Hi frankie2 - I see that you have come back from an inspection trip - Im considering one myself. Cape Verde looks so beautiful and with so much potential. Can you let me know how you found the trip, what are the quality of the new developments like out there and could you forsee any issues that might put you off

Also what company did you use? would you recommend them?

Many Thanks
Try Holiday Options - they now offer packages to here.
Hi

I just got back from a trip to Cape Verde. I've knocked together a quick website with info - http://capeverde.hindlenet.co.uk. Its rough and ready at the moment, but I have more to add....
Hello
I'am new in this forum, but how i live live in sal island in Cape verde, i would like to inform that if you need any info about the country, i can help in what is posible.
Thanks
It's interesting to see a thread about Cape Verde. I am really keen to go there next year with our children who will be 4 and 7 when we travel. Are the islands/hotels suitable for children?
We found one on Sal with Holiday Options and my husband was concerned that there would be no English speaking children/kids clubs there.
Thanks,

Estelle
Hi
Has anyone tried this area, in particular either of the Hotel Riu hotels. Be very interested to hear what you think.
I've just received my new Portland brochure for 2007 and they have two hotels in the Cape Verde Islands. If the brochure pictures are anything to go by it looks fantastic. Where are these Island? Flight seems to be 5.5hours.
I've just looked through the Portlan Direct 2007 brochure and come across the Cape Verde Islands. It looks just like my kind of place :D and I've fancied 2 Rui hotels. Has anyone been to this location recently? Thanks
Both Thomson & Portland direct do package holidays to the Cape Verde Islands. They both go to the same two Rui hotels in Santa Maria and they look fantastic. The flight is roughly 5 and a quarter hours from Gtwick and neither say that you need a connecting flight.
Just browsing through next years thomsons brochure and found this destination new for 2007 . says just off the west coast of Africa :? it looks fabulous - has anybody else been looking and what does anyone think?? in the thomson brochure its between the croatia and Egypt pages. im intrigued. :D

lyn

ps.the thomson brochures says "cape verde is the hottest buzzword in travel. " so why have i not heard of it??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.