Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Hi there,
We're going to Playa Blanca in a few weeks for the first time and would like to hire a car for a few days while we're there. Can anyone recommend somewhere decent to hire from?

Many thanks
Bec
Hi all

We are going to Lanzarote for a week in the middle of May. We want to hire a car from the airport but it needs to be an Automatic family sized car. Can anyone recommend a company?

cheers
Stu
Autoreisen gets my vote everytime. There is a desk at the airport and also in Playa Blanca. You don't pay until you collect the car, meaning you get free cancellation and amendments. They also include all extras for free, such as second driver, you don't have to pay for fuel (simply return it at the level you picked it up) and all insurances are included so there is no hard sell trying to sell you additional insurance that you don't need!
Thanks autoreisen look really good but they only seem to have one automatic car available which a Citreon C3 which would be too small for 4 adults and a baby.
Using economycarhire.com I get two options for bigger automatic cars

cicar offer a Opel Astra or Hertz offer a Merc A class both come in at £200. Has anyone used either of these companies over there?

Stu
Have a look at Autos Anthon, Stu. They have an Astra auto, for, I think, 180€ for the week. The trouble is there are very few automatic cars available, and they do tend to get booked up well in advance. :)
I have emailed Autos Anthon as the website only allows car booking up to 2006 :think

Hopefully they still have an automatic available as they are considerably cheaper than the rest of the companies I have found.

Stu
I got a quote from Anthon last time and they were pretty cheap. But they refused to answer any questions about insurance, especially CDW which is the minimum you need IMHO.

Autoreisen however :-

"¢Our rates include:
- Local taxes (IGIC or VAT).
- Unlimited milleage.
- Free additional driver.
- Free airport service.
- Free Amendment and Cancellation.
- Comprehensive insurance included in all vehicle groups.
"¢ Collision damage waiver (CDW).
"¢ Total coverage in case of the theft of the vehicle (TP).
"¢ Personal Injury Assistance (PAI).
"¢ Damage or accident to third parties.

Which is the main reason I use them. Although they are also very cheap.
Has anyone used Lanzcar before?

They have been recommended to my by the owner of the villa I am renting? They come in about £180 for an Automatic Corsa for 7 days (All prices are fully inclusive of mileage, insurance and local taxes.)
Yes Stu, they're fine! My friends who own villas in Playa Blanca use them all the time!!!!!
Just got back from Playa Blanca tonight and can vouch for Autoreisen. I hired a Seat Ibiza 5-door for a week at a total cost of 114 Euros. That included Collision Damage Waiver.

I picked the car up with a half-full tank and simply had to return it at the same level.

The only drawback with Autoreisen I could see was their popularity. There were at least a dozen others in the queue to be served when I got there and there was not one person waiting at any other hire company desk. I can see why.

The short wait was worthwhile and I will certainly use them again.

So, thanks to everyone who recommended them on this forum.
Jay Jay, ive used Autoreisen about 3 times now and found them to be good value, good service and good cars. Ive also found them to be the busiest desk at the airport aswell , but now when we go through to the baggage reclaim area i go off to the desk with booking reference info from the internet booking and i'm usually done in 10 minutes and then i go over to join the missus who is waiting for the bags and in next to no time we're off to the carpark opposite to pick up the car.
I usually find that when we drive out we go past the queue for taxis and always see people who were on our flight waiting in the long queue.
I reckon it takes 30 mins max to clear passport, get bags and be driving off. I find the whole airport experience at Lanzarote the most easiest and efficient ive experienced anywhere else.
We are stopping at the Occidental Oasis in Costa Teguise in April. Will be Hiring a car for one of our two weeks. Is the there any where close by that we can hire from. At present we have booked with Autoresign , but we have to pick up from the airport , from reviews that i have read they are not very efficient, with long waiting times, so we may cancel if there is a company close to hotel with compariable prices. can anyone help.
staying in playa blanca in may & would like to know if you can hire 7 seater cars there for 6 adults,any help appreciated
Last year we ordered car hire via hotel - when we were out, at the main shops in Playa Blanca we saw a car hire sign and the prices were far cheaper - of course, nearly a year on can not remember where it was except I think next to a restaurant???? any idea of names/links of car hire places in PB that are 'safe' to use??
Hi,

There are numerous car hire companies in PB. I'd recommend Orcar (which is part of Autoreisen). They offer very competitve rates, especially if you pre-book. You only pay for the car when you pick it up so if their prices drop on the internet then you can re-request and then cancel your other booking. They don't charge you for fuel and their prices include everything and an additional driver. I always use Autoreisen and have had a positive experience with Orcar.

You can find them at the ferry port, on the roundabout where Spar and Popeye's bar is located.
If the one you are thinking of was on the right hand side of a restaurant... and towards the end of the shops... as you go in the direction of the Marina - then it's Cabrera Medina.

ilovelanz has given you a good tip with Orcar - you can't miss them! Posh Cars seem to be doing well too, down here... so maybe they're worth a look as well.

Elle xx
thank you - will check them both out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.