Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Probably the last week in august or the first week in september.

Thanks for the replies :tup
castell montgri with siesta

hola all,
can any one tell me what time of day we will arrive at montgri and what time you get into your lodges,

cheers in advance
When i went with siesta we arrived at about 11.00 am, and went straight to our lodge, but that was 3 years ago.
When i went with Siesta, you usually arrived early, between 10 - 11am

I guess that's what happens when you don't stop often!!! :yikes
All the siesta coaches arrived between 9-10 this year except ours. If the accomodation is clean and ready then you get in right away.

We were just about an hour away from the tunnel when some little (insert what you must) threw a brick from a bridge and smashed the upper deck windscreen.

7 hours later and a new coach we were finally on our way. Arrived at 4pm.

On the way home we stopped around every 4 hours (not through the night) we even stopped at gretna when its just about 2 hours left to glasgow.

Nothing has really changed on site apart from the prices.

9.20 for a chicken, you have to be crazy.

Lidl and the supermarket at the roundabout were great.

The weather was in the 40's. The second last day we had a thunderstorm and the weather cooled a little. The day we left there were gale force winds.

Helen
All in all, Helen, did you enjoy?

The campsite hasn't changed much since i went there as a teen to be honest. As a veggie i didn't notice the chicken prices, but that is horrendous, especially as they tend to look like sparrows now!! :rofl

If you use the site supermarket for sensible items, and use Lidl or the other supermarket for the rest, then you won't find it too bad at all

Still enjoy going to Castell montgri, i have to say :)
I haven't been for a few years and I must say I enjoyed every minute of it.

Thankfully we'll eat 'foreign food' we're not crazy enough to buy tins of heinz macaroni from the site shop.

My parents are going on the 5 July for 1 week staying with Siesta but flying, now that we are back they are really looking forward to it.

I think I enjoy it so much as it is a home away from home.

Helen
Forgot to add.

They now have Wifi on site 5euro for 2 hours. It doesn't work to well at the bottom of the site though.

Helen
Didn't know about the Wi-fi, that's a new thing! First time in ages that i didn't go online when i was onsite ... only being there for a week, plus the great weather, meant i didn't get any time! :D

Like you, Helen, i count it as a home from home. It's nice to see new places, but it's also nice to turn up at an old favourite and know everything about it :) I'm really hoping my wife can get 3 weeks off next year, as i've decided i'm driving there if she does
Helen, that's awful about your coach, we only bought the chicken once, paid about 5 euro's that was 2 or 3 years ago, decided that it did'nt look cooked enough for us to give it to the children, so we gave it to the stray cat that lived under our lodge.
Was there a shop that you can buy perfume from at the eurotunnel terminal?
cheers for the answers folks,also at them prices i will stay away from the chickens
The wifi only appeared after we had been there about a week.

I think there are places to buy perfume but we didn't have time going (not that we bothered after the hastle) and on the way home, through passport control and back on the coach.

I'm pretty jealous my parents are going soon.

Helen
Thanks Helen, what are the tea and coffee prices on the coach? i think they were 70p last time i went.
Tea & Coofee are now 80p.

Hot food ranges between £1.30-£1.60

Helen
Hi everyone

I am going to Castell Montgri for the first time with my hubby and kids (3 & 6) and I have been reading some reviews on the web and have to say I'm a little concerned. We're travelling with Cantabrica, on the recommendation of friends who have been with them before (they camped, we're in a diamond lodge - if that means anything to anyone I'd be grateful for the info - all I know is it's tiny!!) I've never done a coach holiday before, has anyone travelled with Cantabrica to CM? Could you give me a bit of advice and info about the journey, keeping the kids occupied, cost of drinks, what food is available on board etc.

Also the site, I have read appalling reviews of things like the accomodation, staff, restaurants, supermarket etc and am getting a bit worried. Yes it's not cost us the earth, but it's all we could afford and I certainly don't want to feel like I've wasted our hard earned cash on somewhere that's going to be nightmare. I'm prepared to make the best of whatever is there as I think you have to, but think I'm just getting nervous of the unknown and maybe I shouldn't have looked for reviews! We were hooked on the look of the pools and that, but then have read you can't have lilos in the pool - is that true? Not a real problem I suppose but half the fun of being in the pool is messing about on lilos.

We go on weds 22nd and arrive on thurs 23rd, for 10 nights.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Finnybobbles
Hi i went with cantabrica 2 years ago and stayed in a diamond lodge with my 3 children, it was a bit of a tight fit, but as we only really used the lodge to sleep in it did'nt matter, cantabrica provide films on board the coach and you can buy drinks and snacks, they are not as upmarket as siesta but i found them ok, and i must add i used the kiddies club for my 2 sons, it was 2 euros for 2 and a half hours, and my boys really enjoyed themselves, having been here with both siesta and cantabrica, i can say that although siesta had better coaches and lodges [but they were a lot more expensive], the cantabrica staff were in my opinion 100% better than the siesta staff, i'm sure you'll have a lovely holiday.
hi there , we went to castle with siesta by coach and also salou with cantabrica , both experiences were simular ,only real difference for us was siesta used double deckers which i prefered, we had 4 children with us travelling from watford , journey started at about 11 am from leaving our house and on both ocasions although salou was further away we arrived at roughly the same time at both , next morning 11 am , feeling tired but ok our children were aged between 8 and 17 and were no problem , they never moaned they were bored , i think they enjoyed the music on the earphones on the coaches music system or watched the filmscups of tea coffee hot choclate beer soft drinks all available on coach along with bacon rolls toasties sandwiches ect all reasonably priced, castle is a good sight plenty for kids to enjoy , we to read reveiws befor we went and was unsure but had a great time , ate out every night but got food from market just over the road at lidls or the other store on roundabout for food for lunch and breakfast bits which was cheeper than buying on the site store , bus takes you from the bottom of the camp to the beech which was a 20 minute or so walk away ,then on the hour the bus brings you back again this was a free service put on by the camp. the beach was very nice with what i call proper sand castle building sand and not that shingerly stuff ,also the water is shallow so kids can walk out in it with no sudden dips you will love it .....mick
Thank you so much simikins and mick, you have put my mind at rest quite a bit! I knew the lodge was going to be small, but like you say, all we're going to really do is sleep in it so it should be ok. Thanks for the advice about the coach and shops, will certainly use the off site shops where we can. We are really looking forward to it all, just got a bit worried with what I'd read, feel better now I've had "spoken" to others who have been. Will have to post when we get back with how we found it all - here's hoping for good weather!! Will be pig sick if its worse than at home!!! :cry

Thanks again

finnybobbles
Personally i'm not a fan of the site in high season, but that said even when i have been there (mid-late July) i rarely saw any real trouble or problems. I wouldn't read too much into the odd bad review :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.