Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Looks like there is a bit of a thunderstorm this week, and the weather is clearing up nicely for the weekend, just in time for Cider going.

I'm getting excited now, even though i've been so many times :D

Enjoy everyone :cheers

Helen
All r -air flights from girona were cancelled on monday because of weather conditions
Got back today (in record time, 3:30pm! ... i've had 3 before but it was 3am with Siesta :rofl )

Will do a full review once i de-tire myself (or have some rest!)
3.30pm, thats absolutely brilliant.

Look forward to your report Cider.

Helen
After my parents saying they wouldn't go back to Castell Montrgi, they booked a late deal last night with Siesta and flying with Ryanair on 5 July, so looks like I'll be reporting back to them.

Helen
hi Cider, hope you had a good holiday, how are the prices this year and i keep meaning to ask you as you've done CM and la Siesta, how do the prices compare between the 2 sites?
Ok, review time (takes deep breath!) :D

Journey:
We of course went with Interbrava and were picked up from Harthill services. We actually got a 6 seater shuttle down to Southwaite to meet the main coast, which was fine, then it was a straight run down to Dover with a few pick ups on the way. Through France we skirted Paris and then heading down the more westerly route, crossing the Massif Central (lovely area) and down to Millau to go over the new bridge (got some good pics there!)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/3585710049_ea859d4ace_m.jpg

Arrived in the resort just after mid-day. Return journey was via Lyon, and we ended up in Calais in time to get the 3:15AM (yes, AM!) ferry, meaning i got home at 3:30pm. The only fault with the return journey was the fact that it was an estate car as only 4 of us were coming back. Big mistake, it was jam packed, and although it got us home quickly enough it was the most uncomfortable part of the journey. As per usual, our drivers (Stevie and Richard) were fantastic, and Stevie isn't just a good driver, he sings a mean version of REM and Simple Minds too (It's going on You Tube Stevie! :rofl ) Mandy was once again our hostess, and as per usual she went above the call of duty to make sure everyone was happy. All part of the reason why you always see so many familiar faces on the bus when you get on ... people always come back!

Accom / Reps:
This is the only part where i was slightly disappointed. We stayed in a Lodge (previously known as Lux 6 in Redcrest days) The units are still fundementally sound, but they are now 8-9 year old and they need a little bit of TLC to bring them up to scratch. Had regular issues with the boiler, fridge door looked not far off falling off, various fixings and fastenings needed tidying up, and opening the fridge door was more effective than the air conditioning which was useless and clearly needs recharged. They are all minor things, very easy to rectify, and i guess that's what makes it more disappointing that they haven't been done. If i was there in the heat of July and my air conditioning was like that, i'd be raging!!

Reps weren't quite as visible as they normally were. It's a hard balance, as i don't like a rep nipping my head every day to go to their BBQ or excursions, but i think a couple of pop ins during the week wouldn't go amiss to check if everything is ok. In that saying the guys still do an excellent job, despite the fact that i'm not keen on one of the reps who was ex-redcrest / Club C who is now back working with Interbrava .. but hey, that's just a personal thing!! :yikes

Resort:
The campsite .. well, it's pretty much the same as it ever was. Much stricter on passes now, so DON'T forget to take them when you leave the site, you WILL be asked for them on the way back in (which i applaud, but when i'm coming in with a massive bag of groceries from LIDL where the **** does the guard think i'm going!!!! Sneaking in to sunbathe with my tin of beans? :rofl ) Usual mix of nice staff on the resort, and the same old t*ssers that are the lifeguards, who i saw taking rubber rings from young kids. I thought Franco was dead?

Estartit town is pretty much the same too. As each year goes by, less pubs aimed at British tourists and they are definitely trying to cater for a different type of tourist now

Cost of Living:
To be honest, i didn't find it expensive at all. During our week there, i probably drew out around €300, which would be around £263 at the rate i was getting, on top of the €100 i had in cash with me. Now, i spent €31 bringing some fags back for a friend, plus around €50-60 on some liquid refreshments for me and for pressies, so i really didn't spend that much although we did go with the idea that this was a cheap holiday. In terms of buying food, i usually spend around £50-60 a week on groceries, and i certainly didn't spend any more than that whilst in Spain. Bought the majority at LIDL, and just topped up with smaller things from the site supermarket. It's easy to criticise the site supermarket, but i was buying imported 2L bottles of No Added Sugar fizzy pop at around 80c .... can't argue with that!

All in all, a very good week, and the temp was around 31-32C each day, very warm for May. Sure, you have the usual chavs hanging around at times but as the season progresses you kinda expect that, and it's easy to avoid. We spent most of our time walking or bathing at the caravan, then went for a swim at night (around 6-7pm) when it had cooled and quietened down. I have to say though, it's the quietest i've seen the site in year for what would normally have been our second week onsite. I remember walking past the bottom pool at around 10am and there was one chap doing his morning exercise in the pool all alone!! Very quiet!!

One plea for Interbrava if they read this. I know the only reason you bought back limited coach hols is because you were nagged by customers ... please take note of this and stick with it. You clearly have a loyal bunch of customers, and i lost count of the amount of times on the bus that i heard people say 'i went with Siesta last year' or 'i went with Club C last year' ... it was usually followed by the statement 'never again' :duh I may be biased, but you do it better than anyone else, but i do have to be honest and say that a week is too short for me, and i wasn't the only person saying they would have liked two weeks in the quiet season, so please consider extending your May and September holidays to two weeks as although i love going with Interbrava i more than likely won't book another holiday for one week (I am thinking about going with car next year anyway)

Phew ... if anyone has any questions, im happy to help. I'm now off to buy new trainers, walked 30 miles when i was there and they are wrecked!!!
Simikins. Pretty much the same cost wise, the only advantage you have at CM is the fact that the LIDL is nearby
I've been sitting here waiting for this report, does this make me a saddo :rofl

Glad the prices haven't went up to much aswell, you hear about a lot of the bigger resorts jumping up their prices.

Off on Saturday for me :wave:

Helen
Yes! :rofl

Have a great time Helen, if you think of anything else, just ask :)
Did another tally up of my walks ... i make it 34 miles in one week, and that's not including any time we went out at night, walked down town, etc, so it's probably closer to 40!!!!

(it's nearly half a mile from where our caravan was, to the main road!)
We are in the Taronja area of the site, so its a bit of a walk for us to the main gate, have a feeling we'll tally up quite a bit of milage.

This time tomorrow i'll be on my way :sun2

Helen
Enjoy! :sun2

Staying at Castell Montgri is definitely a good way to keep fit
One thing i did omit from my report regarding cost of living. Bear in mind that i basically refused to pay the prices that bars were charging this year (yes, i know it's not the pubs fault, it's the crappy £ vs the €!) Some bars were selling cheap bottles of beer for €1, but i'm not a beer drinker, and if we both had a couple of halves of vodka each night for the 7 nights we were there, that would have tallied up to €112 for a week, basically £100. No ta, 1L bottle of Jim Beam from the supermarket costing €12 (just over £10) did us fine

Couple of drinks before going out or after we came back in did me fine, and you know ... i don't think i'll go back to how we used to be, it's not worth encouraging the bars and their overpriced drink
yo ciders , did estartit have any life forms what so ever, because that webcam could be the mars landscape for the amount of people on there :rofl
The webcam is more towards the Els Griells estate, not really in the heart of the resort, hence you never really see anyone sitting there! :rofl

We had a walk right down to the river Ter and walked back up along the beach ... hardly a soul sitting there, nice and quiet, then you get up to the main resort and the beach is mobbed!
Hi all

Has anyone stayed in E section of the campsite,? whats it like. Is it noisey/quiet, is it hilly, far from the entrance? near to entertainment.

sorry for all the silly questions, just wondering whats the best section to be in.

thanks
shellz
Can anybody tell me how far the campsite is from the town/beach, is there a shuttle bus?

Looking at going next year sometime and we will have a toddler with us so could do without any long treks with him :tup
There is a bus, but what time of year are you going?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.