Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Newton's supermarket regularly hand out sweeties for change. 1 sweetie = 1 Rs

I save them up till the next time I go back, and use them as payment at exactly the same exchange rate - seemples! :tup
I save them up till the next time I go back, and use them as payment at exactly the same exchange rate -

Hey I like that Max13Biker !!!! :tup why didnt i think of that!!! :think it irks me getting them especially from such a big and busy shop!! Good thinking
Chilly
When we were in Newtons in January my bill came to 321 rups gave the assistant 330 rups and she gave me 10 back....that has to be a first :)
This is a recurring topic, usually from readers who havent got anything better to talk about (like me). Visitors usually divide into four types.
1. Those who collect up the sweets every few days and then make a big thing about going back to the shop and paying for something with them. Such a sad thing to do.
2. Those who politely decline the sweets and demand coins and then hold the queue up for hours whilst argueing.
3. Those who decline the sweets and go off, realising that life is too short.
4. Those who take the sweets and then give them away to kids.

Those lucky enough to get coins end the week with a big pocketful and not have a clue how much they have. Usually, they then attempt to pay for something with them in a shop and there is a big hoohah with hundreds of coins spread over the counter as the shop owner counts them only to find they are 20 rupees short and have to end up paying with a note anyway.
Sometimes, they will insultingly leave them all as a tip, cheapening themselves in the eyes of the waiter, and not realising that the whole collection comes to about 5 pence.
There is a fifth, I eat the sweets, and very nice too.
Alan
Those who collect up the sweets every few days and then make a big thing about going back to the shop and paying for something with them. Such a sad thing to do.

It's just to see the look on the check-out girl's face. :rofl

Chill out Lester!
lester wrote:
Those who collect up the sweets every few days and then make a big thing about going back to the shop and paying for something with them. Such a sad thing to do.....not realising that the whole collection comes to about 5 pence.
:rofl
When I was sitting in the dentists waiting room this year I jgot chatting to a lady who had come in. She had just been to Newtons and had been given a chocolate eclair instead of change. She said she usually gives them to the security man but decided she would eat that one instead, promptly pulling out her crown - the result was she ended up having to have 2 new crowns fitted. I am sure she would have rather had the change, a much cheaper option.
Hundreds of coins - where the heck did they get them from :que
had a good giggle reading this one :D
much prefere chewing gun as change rather than chocolate,

can you imagine if shops in the uk started doing it,there would be outrage, :tongue
were you giggling chewing the "gun" :rofl

Got a coffee sachet yesterday instead of a sweet for 1rp
waterproof wrote:
were you giggling chewing the "gun" :rofl

Got a coffee sachet yesterday instead of a sweet for 1rp

now that would be one explosive chew wouldnt it

next time you might get a sachet of sugar to go with your coffee, :D
Just been up to Mumbai and had a 21rps taxi ride - yes not 221 rps as in Calangute taxi price and was about end of Baga Road to Snips hairdressers near to Calangute /Candolim border and when I gave him 30 rps there was no asking about "have you got change" (no I just got in from Goa - would you like a sweet) he just went in his bag and gave me 9rps - in coins - and wished me a nice day.
No problems with change there - anywhere. In the whole week there was never any problems with change and have come back to Goa with a purse full of coins - no Newtons are not having any of them ;)
To me it's all just part in 'knowing' you are in Goa, I've travelled fairly extensively and never come across this anywhere else.

I think it's great :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.