Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Rupees
12 Posts
If you have some, or someone is giving you some - then no problems - you are not allowed to bring them in or take them out of India, bt I've never been searched going in - If you are thinking of changing some here before you get there, then don't bother - the exchange rate will be abysmal (even worse than the money changers at Dabolim) - I'd just change 10 or 20 quids worth on arrival at Goa and the rest once in the resort - make sure you check the money you get back - they've been known to be non to honest in giving the full amount over to you, and you will be tired and stressed after the journey
Never been questioned about having rupees on me either in or out.
As you come out of the airport, turn right and there's an ATM. Youll get a better exchange rate off that.
:tup

I was just going to say the same gooner Fan we always do this or get the taxi driver to stop at a atm when you get to your resort he will know where they are. have a great holiday :sun2

Pip
x
the taxi driver will also take english money if you just want to get to your hotel
You are allowed to take a small amount of money out of the county if you intend to return, we always take out about 1500 Rs in the wifes handbag to save messing about when we return
Me
No you are not - If caught with it you will have it confiscated, unless you pay a bit of it in baksheesh - I got caught several years back after forgetting to put Rs 3000 in my case - I left them in my wallet
Its easy to get stressed out over currency. Most of what is written here is true. There is an ATM outside the airport but often you dont want the stress of handling this whilst surrounded by Indian gentlemen wanting to hold your bags. You can also give the taxi driver sterling, but not if you only have £20 notes. You can also stop at another ATM on the way but not if you are travelling alone. (first rule of savvy travelling....dont leave your bags with a taxi driver whilst you are off somewhere else)
You could go to LLoyds bank at home before you go where it is possible to get rupees for a lousy exchange rate but fine for the taxi journey. I have taken out £30 pounds worth in the past for this purpose which suggests that it is not illegal to take currency into the country (if memory serves the small exchange booth in the airport is airside (ie before csutoms).
Then, when you leave and if you know you are returning at some stage in the future, put a couple of thousand rupees in you suitcase, not that they would bother searching your handluggage anyway unless something else had whetted their interest.
The obvious reason to wish to buy rupees, is to beat the fluctuations in the exchange rate.
Our accommodation costs were up by a substantial amount this year - despite getting a loyalty discount. :cry

As far as I am aware Thomas Cook can sell you rupees. :think I must try and get a definitive answer on whether or not we can now bring rupees in - otherwise why would Thomas Cook be able to sell them?
Thomas cook will sell you them, but at 63 rps to the pound !
Thomas cook will sell you them, but at 63 rps to the pound

Ouch :cry :cry
we always get about £30 from lloyds bank so we have some when we arrive but it does say on the plastic wallet that you are not allowed to take the currency out of the country or bring it back.so i'm not sure what you are supposed to do with it!!! (the cashier also tells you this when you purchase it)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.