Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
That happened to me and my girlfriend about 18 months ago. Watching Mission impossible II (I think) and in the middle of the biggest action scene when the truck crashes in the tunnel, the movie stopped. We were the only 2 people in the cinema (4pm showing).

I went outside to complain to the manager and his reply wa's - "tha's our policy and everyone else likes it that way". I stated that this custome was out of date by at least 30 years.

It's a dirty trick that they use to persuade people to go and spend money on all the rubbish food they sell. Fast food, fizzy drinks etc.

Totally arrogant manager.

We have never been back again.
I like the 10 minute break ! (chance for a quick beer or coffee)
I agree i also like the short break,time to go to the loo and have a ciggie. :)
I agree with you Mark. :hmmm Can't see what all the fuss is about - hang loose your on hols! :yipee

Trev
i wasn't complaining about the break - it's just different :lol: and as i said i remember such breaks in the uk in the 70's and it's the fact that the film just stopped :shock: without warning. we put it down to "local charm!" :D
Sorry, I do not know much about Malta, but I am an avid Film Buff. Maybe the reason why the movie stops dead approximately half way through is to allow the Projectionist to change the reels over?

Modern movies these days are often on two seperate reels and here in the UK we don't notice the 'join' because technology has evolved since the 1970's and now we don't notice when the reels are changed, the join takes place seemlessly as if the movie was all on one reel, which it is not. In those days there was an Intermission for this purpose as an Uncle of mine used to be a Projectionist. Gradually the Intermissions became a little longer to allow adverts to be screened. (Who remembers Pearl & Dean and their famour theme tune?) But all of this allowed the Projectionsist time to have a short break him/herself and to change the reel over ready for the 'second half'.

Technology has evolved to such a point where this is no longer necessary and although the movie is on two separate reels still, the projectors are now timed by computer to coincide precisely with each other so that when one reel ends, the next reel begins. The only way to 'spot' the change over would be if the projectors were 'hand-wound' slowly and you might just spot a small white flash. But of course there is no reason to do that. Maybe this technology has not yet reached Malta?

The 'break' was also seen as a way of enticing you to purchase confectionary and maybe a magazine or some such memorabilia associated with the movie being shown, cinemas are businesses afterall, but basically the main reason for the 'break' was to allow the reels to be changed. I'm not saying this is the reason in Maltese Cinemas as I know nothing about Malta, but maybe it is a possibilty? :hmmm
Well well well....cinema goers...
Benidorm not quite right about the technology aspect. The cinemas in Malta have what I would say probably state of the art tachnology...infact the St. julian's Cinemas have just started implementing a full digital projection and have ....if I am not mistaken already converted 4 out of the 18 Cinemas. The beauty of digital projection is that you do not get the interference that you would normally get through normal projection. I had the pleasure of seeing the Da Vinci Code a couple of weeks ago with this technology and I can tell you, the clarity of the picture was like watching the movie on an LCD or Plasma screen off a DVD.

With regards to the intermission, there are various reasons for this. Firstly I would guess would be for the cinema owners to make some more money from the bar...remember Malta is a very hot climate and you can get very thirsty very quickly especially if one nibbles popcorn or nachos. Secondly, people may be desperate for the loo, others for a cigarette...so why not have this intermission.

Thirdly and probably most imprtantly, you should use this intermission to stretch your legs...Personally that is what I do....it can get a little uncomfortable being in the same position.

On the other hand, yes I do enjoy an uninterrupted film, but here in Malta it is what people want and it is what has been done for years and I think people enjoy the excitement and tenseness of a film stopping just as an action scene starts...gives them something to look forward to.

That one would call this a dirty trick is very childish to say the least. Our customs in Malta are similar to the UK, but NOT the same, that is what makes is different. Nobody is forced to buy anything so how can it be a dirty trick? More like an opportunity for somebody who is hungry or thirsty or in desperate need for a weee :-))
Well said bugibba

I remember well going to the warner in qormi, years ago. What an experiance, I found it quite strange watching the family groups getting there picnics out during the intermission, and being able to go to the bar for a cold hopleaf, something unheard of in the u.k.

Those were the days

sahha

alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.