EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
We are in Portugal and I think the going rate is about the same 60 to 80 Euros a month. Sounds pretty good to me. As far as I know it will cover what you said, but also general maintainence, like lifts and gates etc.
Ours is a new property and the rate has not been set yet.
........yes, sounds good value for a two bed property, although you can't really compare fees between different countries; different complexes in the same area, perhaps would be more meaningful.....the fees for our studio apartment in Tenerife work out at 760 euros per year, which covers basically everything outside, including all the pools, security patrol, etc.
Thanks. I did think it seemed quite high but that's probably because they have doubled in the two years since we bought the apartment - which is always a worry. We don't have a lift or security either. As said, it would be ideal to compare with other owners in N Costa Blanca.
Your community fees sound ok. Its difficult because it depends how large the gardens are, how many people share the pool etc. obviously if only 6 apartments share the pool its going to be more expensive than 25 sharing a small one. Security can also push up the fees. Have you looked at the accounts for an explanatin of why they have increased so much?
Yes. The main problem being the illegal construction of winter gardens by some owners, therefore the town hall refusing a habitation certificate which then meant we could not get contracts for water and electricity. Also some owners not paying fees; all of the above had to be covered by the community account. The disadvantage being that the utility bills (builders supply) were divided equally - meaning part time owners have subsidised the ones that live there permanently.

In a cliche: " you live and learn."
We did an "eye-opening" article on community fees in Spain recently. You can read it by clicking the link below:

Community fees in Spain
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.