Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
This is a terrible thing to happen, we bought silver in may when we were in altinkum and we have never had any problems. I hope people avoid this shop in future.
Kimevans,
might be worth actually taking it to a jeweller to check if it is silver.
my wife and daughter cannot wear silver as it makes their skin go green and the jewellery blackens .
This happens with genuine English sterling silver as well as jewellery bought abroad
Good point Del, but my daughter loves silver (she says gold is for us old'uns :x ). This is the ONLY silver she has ever had this happen with.

£180 is alot of money for tin (or whatever I've bought :evil: ).

I never would have though to worry about any of the jewelery shops before.
My sisers husband bought her a £300 ring the year before when we were in Olu. Thankfully hers is fine.
I wouldn't trust anything from the market, but in a proper jewelery shop I thought I was OK.

Lally, DON'T BUY ANYTHING IN THERE, when youre in Turgutreis.
Do get it checked out as real silver will go black over time, all it needs is a polish to clean it up. You may have got real silver after all. :wink:
The very fact that it is turning black or tarnishing ,most times means that it is silver ,tarnishing is caused when silver comes into contact with any sulfur containig compound ,it can be caused by simple things like eggs or high sulfar foods or even just fingerprints from someone who has been touching any of these things ,best to get it checked,for your own peace of mind.

Bluepeterno1
I would be very careful about the allegations you're making until you have it confirmed that what you bought is not silver. Think about what you might do should you be proved wrong!
Silver jewellry is particularly susceptible to tarnishing and to staining of skin. It's due to what the silver is made up of - sterling silver is especially one to look out for. In fact, I would hasten to say that if it weren't silver but 'tin' you wouldn't have this particular problem.

It's often due to contact with cosmetics or foodstuffs etc.

I agree with the others, don't write these purchases off as not being real silver because it sounds to me like it is.
hi kimevans,
not 100% sure if this will work on your ring but might be worth a try,when i used to find ancient hammered silver coins,i would place them in silver kitchen foil,then put a little water on it,then wrap it up tight and hold between your fingers for a short while,if it is silver you get an awful smell of rotten eggs,but as i said this may not work on your ring, :shrug :gluck
The best thing to clean silver is toothpaste,if you use any type of metal polish ,or the silver cleaning cloths you buy ,they will through time take layers of silver of .

Bluepeternmo1
My advice to anyone is not to buy any gold or silver jewellery in turkey. The hallmark is not worth anythiıng. That way the turkısh jewllery industry will have to clean up its act. Money is a very powerful incentive.
I have bought thousands of pounds worth of jewellery in turkey ,never been ripped off once , everything i have ever bought has been valued at two three times over here when i have had it valued.

Bluepeterno1
Ace
My advice to anyone is not to buy any gold or silver jewellery in turkey. The hallmark is not worth anythiıng. That way the turkısh jewllery industry will have to clean up its act. Money is a very powerful incentive.

Ouch I think thats a bit exteme millions of people have bought jewellery in Turkey without a problem.
Correct Lynn m

Bluepeterno1
If you're not going to resell the jewellery, then why need a hallmark? My daughter got her engagement ring in Gumbet last year and paid £350 for it. The jeweller looked at it here at home and said it was worth over £650! When we asked about a hallmark, he said that there was no need unless she wanted to sell it - if so, it could be hallmarked over here. Hallmarking is pretty much a British thing anyway and doesn't mean that the gold is any better (in fact, a of our gold is only 9 carat, not as good as Turkey's 14 carat).
You will find that most gold abroad is not hall marked ,its usually numbered ,hall marks are British ,so anyone who wants to buy gold in turkey, dont be put off.

Bluepeterno1
It's possible that some jewellers' would hike the price up - but I can't see a reputable jeweller passing off tin/copper/whatever for gold or silver. Wouldn't be worth their while - especially in the long term.
I've got loads on gold jewellery from Turkey (retail therapy on the last day of holidays!). In fact, I'm wearing 5 pieces just now. Some of it has some sort of stamp on it, but I don't know if it's a hallmark or not. A friend used to work in a jewellers here and she has said that I've got bargains.

On saying all of that, I have a friend who is married to a Turkish guy and they pay a lot less than we have to, but that applies to everything they buy. If we happen to be on holiday together, I always get them to buy what we want and then give them the money.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.