Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
cost of living
8 Posts
I ate last Friday in a restaurant in Monastir, Dar Chraka. Five of us had a good meal with bread, olives, harissa, water and coffee for 39 TD. The food was tasty (I like the merguez), the restaurant has a nice setting in a converted medina town house, nice tiled courtyard and cool arched interiors. Popular with Tunisians and visitors alike, it can get busy. I would definitely recommend it. It's near Jamma Bourgiba in the souk.

They do not serve alcohol though, the owner chooses not to in accordance with his Islamic faith.
I can beat that, we usually eat for around 20-25TD, that is for 3 courses for 4 people, also with bread, harisa, olives, water and coffee.
Just before we left Tunisia I took a group of 12 people out to a pizza restaurant (Their choice- not mine!!) We all had 2 fresh orange drinks, then 9 had a large pizza, 2 had vegi omelets, 1 chose seafood pasta. There were 4 plates of Tunisian salad, 4 plates of chips, olives, harissa, french bread on the table - cost was £23 inclusive of a generous tip. It is a joy entertaining in the local restaurants! :D Jenny
better still make friends with Tunisian families and eat everyday at someone else's house for free :shock:
That's fine if you can stand the constant couscous and harissa. Generally I am trying to stop people from feeding me so much, every house I visit brings another eating experience.
Mind you do occasionally get some gems among the couscous. Last week I was served a wonderful dish of ful wa kamun, mila wa zeitoun. That's broad beans with cumin and salt served in olive oil. Absolutely delicious.
Quite right roundasapound, we do have lots of friends over there in our second home and eat out at least once a week, but before we leave for the 6 months over here, do try to take some of them out to repay their hospitality. And I do feel the need to agree with you regarding the couscous Dorra. Every lady knows that her version is the very best and whilst enjoying couscous, I do get a little tired of it and have learned from experience, that little harissa invariabley means that it is going to be as hot as hell :shock: Jenny
thanks for all your replies-its obviously cheap to eat out but can anyone give me an idea of drinks prices? in egypt restaurants add on tax and service charge, it comes to about 20% on top of the bill.is it the same in tunisia?
thanks very much.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.