Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
we went to Tossa a couple of years ago at end oct and found most of the resort was closed(although the bars and restaurants opened on the saturday night for the locals!!!!!)- even though it was half term in england..
best advice i can give you is to check Thomsons brochure for last dates they do holidays to the area and judge accordingly. it seemed to us at the time that all local bars/hotels etc. geared their closing for winter to when Thomson's season ended.
reckon weather may not be v.g. at that time and kids may struggle to find anything to do.
We did Pineda de Mar at the end of October 2003 and to be honest it was freeeeeeeeeeezing! :shock: It poured of rain and felt about -5 most of the time. Although we did get two days where the sun shone, the wind was horrendous.

Most of the resort was closed too, but I think bigger resorts like Lloret de Mar may still have a lot open. The locals did say that they don't normally get weather like we had at the end of October right enough!

In saying that, I was in the Costa Brava last week (Empuriabrava) and our weather was crap, we had three days of thunderstorms and you certainly don't expect that in August do you?

Good luck

Catherine x
we went last year at the beginning of octoiber and the weather wasnt great but it wasnt bad, average about 25 degrees. maybe lower, but all the shops were still open and so were all the bars, but it didnt seem very busy. But in the off peak seasons i found that the shop owners are very persuasive in trying to make you buy.
More information and links available in our Costa Brava Weather Q&As topic:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40119

David :wave
We went twice to Lloret de Mar during the first half of October, and there was still plenty going on, and the weather was lovely, not scorching, but hot enough. We didn`t even need a coat at night, but it`s always pot luck with the weather at that time of year really.
We fly out on 20th. What shall I pack? The average conditions indicate the possibility of shorts but not every day. Light cottons or something heavier? Raincoats or shower-macs?

Advice would be appreciated because normally I am a very light packer and I don't want to be tempted into packing way too much. There are four of us including one child who never feels the cold and the other who has to have anti-freeze intravenously during the winter!
i'm now going on the 10th for 2 weeks and will pack summer clothes.i always take decent trousers to wear out at night and we both take a fleece(usually for keeping warm on the coach at night) just in case.would suggest you take/wear something suitable for our weather for journey home and this should cover all eventualities.
i agree with your sentiments on packing light -leaves more room for cheap booze and ciggies :)
HI Just try to keep within the "recommended" compulsary limit of ciggies ,find it strange they dont bother how much booze comes through airports though cheers maxie :D
Flying out from Luton on Tuesday 18th for a week in Malgrat (Planamar). Will be taking a fleece and a brolly as a little rain is forecast for next week. My sister is holidaying in Benidorm this week and it was bad weather from Thursday until Saturday afternoon - so hopefully it will stay dry for the next week??
My daughter`s just rung to say that they are flying out to Majorca at 7-30 in the morning, they only booked it this afternoon, I`m SO jealous, wish I was going!
I'm off to Lloret De Mar on the 30th!

Fingers crossed it will be half decent. Only a 4 nighter for some quality time and some boozing :lol:

Still need to sort out the bus transfer situation right enough...
Silly old me, just realised I posted under Costa Brava instead of Majorca!
Hi Shellwalsall, hope you have got enough info but just in case here is a site http://lestartit.net/Webcam/ as mentioned on other threads. This will give you a view of estartit beach. Follow the links for another forum regardiing Estartit and 10 day forecasts.

As regards the amount of faciliites that are open will be fairly limited in the smaller resorts, but not sure where you are headed :roll:
Thanks for all the info it was for my mom she went on monday by coachso they did not get there till yesterday but she has already phoned me and said she does not like the hotel I can not think of the name of it but she will do a review when she gets back any way thanks all
Hi

Just back from Tossa de Mar (11 -20th October)

Torrential rain on arrival, it then varied from nearly every day

Tue - Torrential rain
Wed - Rain then dull and warm
Thu - Flood damage near river and foot of the town shops flooded
AM sunny & warm PM dull with rain but warm
Fri - AM Sunny PM some rain dull & warm
Sat - Sunny warm day
Sun - AM sunny PM cloudy & warm
Mon - Mixed cloudy & sunny
Tue - Thu Sunny warm day

The storms and damage were very bad with much flooding on coast.

Speaking to a few locals this was not normal.

Allowing for having been there during exceptional weather I would not be put off going again in October. But the lack of visitors the closure of hotels, restruants bars and cafes would put me off going then.

Tossa de Mar was absolutely dead, we were going out at 21;00 walking 15/20 minutes hardly seeing anyone and the shops all closed. In September the town is usually buzzing at that time.

regards

Pars fan
Sorry to hear that you has such rotten weather. We've just arrived back today after a week of very warm weather! We went out the day you returned so if you can let me know your future holiday dates so that we can book the week after I would be grateful!!!!

We stayed a little closer to Barcelona than Tossa but on Monday it was 28C, beautiful! We had a little drizzle on Sunday morning but otherwise the week was warm, sunny and lovely. I had taken warm items for the evenings but we didn't need them. It's all so hit and miss with the weather. I mean we arrive home to beautiful sunshine and 19C....what on earth :-)
Hi Magster

I am really pleased that the weather was good to you, It was settled by the time we left, warm and sunny.

I was surprised at the temperatures especially at night, our worst night it was 17 degrees and a wind which made it feel chilly, I was out that night with short sleeved shirt and brolly it was normally 20 degrees and although on occasions I wore waterproof clothing my new jumper stayed in the wardrobe for the whole holiday.

I have booked flights for next year 31 Aug - 13 Sep. so you can go ahead with your arrangements.

regards

Pars fan
if the weather is this poor now what can we expect at the end of november ?
Probably cold (10-15C max) probably wet (November is the wettest month of the year) but with the odd day where the sky is an improbable blue and it all looks rather beautiful!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.