Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Don't know about Princess would have to look at the T&C's.

I know NCL have a 2 port clause that allows you to cancell before sailing, once on the ship I think all bets are off.(looked it up this week).
Thanks windjammer. I have studied the T and C's and they have us by the short and curlies!!!!! I am therefore looking at when the cut-off time for cancellation is with 100% refund. Sort of takes the pleasure out of the cruise, worrying about whether they will change everything though.
I think with a UK booking there are some rules they have to follow to do with major and minor changes.

With major changes I think they have to offer full refunds, a bit like the 10%/2% rules for price increases.

I have a first edition caribbean 2008-2009 brochure(princess) handy

I think this allows for full refund within 14 days of being notified of the significant changes in tineraray. clause 26.and compensation(cl 27) over the refund if at short notice <56days 5% increaseing to 20%14days or less before departure

If a fly cruise it should be covered by the ATOL licences.

After leaving it also allows for compensation(which I think means partial refund) and transport home for significant changes(cl28).
obvious safety reasons like adverse weather are excuded one departed.

On-line seems to be broken so I cannot find any information there.
I think I would email Princess Customer Service and ask for a response in writing as to what happens in the circumstances you described. Generally they can change itineraries for almost any reason - it's the Captain's decision......safety, weather, fuel costs. etc
There are a lot of modifications to itineraries going on now in an effort to save fuel.... it's all a bit more up in the air than usual
More help please!! And I do expect this will be the first of many more questions, so apologies!! :)

Just received an email from the travel agent to say we have already been allocated a cabin. We have booked the cheapest fare possible almost! K class on the Plaza deck. Our email says that we have now been allocated a cabin on Aloha Deck 12. which is II class. Is it a very silly question to ask, have we been upgraded! Is it better to be on a higher deck?
You have been upgraded in terms of the class of room- BUT make sure this room is where you want to be before you accept it. Room types are listed alphabetically.
Have a look at http://www.cruisedeckplans.com just look at the public site- look for your new room assignment and just make sure it is in a good location - eg midships- not way at the front of the ship where you will walk a mile a day just to get to your room.
If you want to put the room location on here we can look at it for you and give a better idea.
You have gone from Plaza (LOW DECK) to Aloha which is a high deck.
Generally speaking the lower the deck the better, you feel the least motion down low, but there are lots of advantages to other decks also- close to restaurants, entertainments, kids facilities- it depends what you need, just do your research. I usually look for a room where I can pop up to the casual buffet for coffee/ snacks etc without walking a mile or using elevators. Also handy for pools ....

I got upgraded on my last cruise and got very lucky, but always check...... location location location :tup
Thanks for the quick reply! We hadn't been allocated a cabin up till today, just that we were Grade K on Plaza Deck. We have been allocated Cabin A409 on Aloha Deck 12, and my travel agent (who is also a friend) seems excited about the allocation!!! Not that he has been on the Star Princess :)

I was quite happy to be on Plaza Deck, not knowing any different, but it is my first cruise, and as it says, Cruise of my Dreams, so I would really welcome your expertise in this! If it helps, we are both female, and just want to make the most of everything on offer that we can! She is much more energetic than me, so will be making much more use of the sports facilities! I am happy to sit round a pool, or read etc etc, and we don't intend to be spending very much time in the cabin, but I for one will be a little piglet as far as the food is concerned!!!
I have had a look,

Location is fine close to the midship elevators and one deck up to the pool area.

There might be some noise from the pool which is going to be very close.
based on the deck plan the machinery is probably the other side so not a problem

It is a cabin that is sideways so the layout will be different to a standard inside.

No idea on Princess not seen one but given the standard layout/features of the princess cabins I think this might actualy be better layout.

On NCL we found this style had good and bad points compared to standard inside
we liked the bed layout one side more spacious, but not the bathroom/closets the other less spacious.
You got a 3 category room upgrade and a very nice location. Handy for everything without waiting for elevators. You are just down the hall from the self service laundry- a BIG PLUS to me.
The only potential drawback is that I hear people complaining on cruise enthusiast sites that they can hear deck chairs being dragged around for cleaning early morning.... Princess ships have the outdoor carpeting on deck so noise is reduced and I'm not sure how troublesome this would be to you - it wouldn't put me off- you got a good deal to my mind.
As far as the room, insides all look pretty much the same to me- we only sleep, shower, get ready in ours so.....the price makes it worth it to me- you can just about walk between the beds, very compact bathrooms.... take an illuminated clock with you as the rooms are pitch black once lights are out.
Thanks again for the replies :D Looks like I did good then! I had read about the deck chair problem, which I am sure would not bother me at all, though did wonder whether the pool machinery noise would annoy. The one thing I hadn't thought about was the darkness, so thanks for that tip about an illuminated clock :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.