Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hi bobbsy - don't panic! Most TOs include the cost within your package and send it with your flight tickets. You just need to fill in your basic personal details on both halves of it (but make sure that they are accurate!) and when you go through Cuban immigration on arrival they take half and give you the other half back. You then hand this over on departure. There's no vetting process involved as far as ordinary tourists from the UK are concerned.

So in the first instance check with you TO - I'd be surprised if it wasn't included but if it isn't, you can get one through the post from the UK offices of Havanatour. Or if you are flying out from Gatwick you'll even be able to get one there but you'll need to get it from the airline or TO desk and fill it in before you check-in for the flight. It only costs approx £20 - it's not a visa, think of it as an arrival tax. And remember to keep 25 CUCs at the end of your holiday ready to pay the departure tax.

SM
Hi there.
Would I be right in assuming that regardless of wether or not you get a tourist card/visa included with your holiday, that there is still a departure tax payable?
Many thanks.

David
Yes, departure tax has to be paid in CUCs - can't remember whether its 25 or 30 CUCs per person.
Cheers Dave.
Only 107 sleeps to go :) !

David
Now that I didnt know . Clearly I havent done enough research :duh When /where do we pay that Dave . Is it like Turkey/Egypt where you pay it on arrival there.

Oops apologies .just seen my answer above from Sma :duh
Departure tax is 25 CUC "Cuban only" you pay it after you checked in for homeward flight before going through Passport control.
Roughly how much is that in Sterling SB . I take it it's per person and does that apply to under 18's too.
The CUC is roughly worth 80p at the moment ie departure tax = £20 and its for everyone inc kids (not sure about infants under 2)
Thanks Dave .Thats another £100 to add to my holiday cost then :sulk
Hi, I have two spare visa cards which I bought from Cubaism.com not realising that the company we booked our flights with was also going to send us some!

No details have been filled in. Can anyone confirm whether someone else can use them, or have they been issued to me specifically? (i.e. if someone else tries to use them will they be refused because the serial number is linked to my name, or something?)

If they are transferable, does anyone want to make me an offer for them??
Most companys issue travel cards so look slike your stuck with them.
I would think it unlikely that there is any system in place that logs the serial numbers against a particular name - on the whole Cuban bureaucracy is just not that efficient! I've known people lose/forget their original one and get another one at their departure airport and have no problems on arrival in Cuba. However, most people on this forum travel to Cuba on packages and will get their 'visa' issued by the TO as part of the package. The only people interested in buying these off you would be those sorting out their own DIY arrangements and they are very few and far between. And even then, most will get their visas from the flight supplier as part of the total cost. You might find somebody who's booking their flights direct with the airline but a lot of those will be Cuban nationals who don't have to pay this entry tax anyway. Have you contacted Cubaism.com and explained your mistake to see if they will give you a refund?

SM

PS Just checked Cubaism's website and it does clearly state that they are non-transferable and non-refundable - so I think that you are stuck with them. Perhaps you can persuade your TO/TA to give you a refund on the ones they sent you? You might stand a better chance of this if they haven't yet actually sent them out to you - I wasn't sure from your post whether they had or not.
Altho' the travel cards may not be traceable by serial number to a specific person they are issued to, the ones I've had, were marked on the back with the name/address of the holiday co.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've already been sent the second pair of visas as well, unfortunately. As I didn't book a package I just assumed they wouldn't be included!

I didn't book anything else with Cubaism, only bought the visas from them, so surely it doesn't matter if it's their stamp on the back?

I might try begging for a refund and then eBay!
From 1 May 2010 all travellers - including Cubans living abroad - are required to hold comprehensive travel insurance including medical insurance before travelling to Cuba. You will be expected to present a copy of your insurance on arrival in Cuba. Insurance should be valid for the full duration of your stay in Cuba and should cover medical evacuation by air ambulance. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you all for the activities you want to undertake. In exceptional cases you will be able to obtain a policy from Cuban insurance companies at your port of entry. For more details of these changes please see the Cuban Foreign Ministry website's information for travellers to Cuba :
Make sure its not USA affilidated.
Thanks Snowy, good to know as I'm about to start shopping for our insurance for next month.
Hi I'm really hoping u can help me I have received my visa but on the date of birth section I have written it underneath the print rather than over the top. Does Nyone know if this will cause any problems? All info is correct and clearly written.

Any help is much appreciated

thanks
sam
It could do depending on the immigration/passport official who processes you - at worst they might make you buy another one as you arrive. I would suggest that you check with your TO or whoever supplied the entry visa re whether they think that it would be acceptable to 'tippex' it out and re-write it in the proper place.

SM
Hi thanks for ur reply have contacted them have to buy another hope they arrive in time I go next sat!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.