Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Well we used the Post office for some Dollars last time we headed to the USA and
I was impressed with their rates and service. Certainly recommend.

Keith
Today's VISA rate is 1.21, which is the rate you'll get if your card has a VISA symbol. And if you have a Nationwide debit card no charges either.
As I dont have a Nationwide card I would get charges so I have ordered online with the post office, free delivery to my local branch tomorrow, I'm happy with the rate, its a lot better than last year :)
Are there ATM's that are easily found in Playa Blanca?
Also do most resttaurants and the supermarkets take cards ok?
I have natiowide cards so normally find it easier to take minimal currency and just use my cards.
Plenty of ATM's in Playa Blamca vicky. All the restaurants we've been in have taken cards and I can't image the main supermarkets would be any different (always pay in cash)
The supermarkets will ask for id if you want to pay by card, usually passport but some of them take a photo drivers license. There are loads of ATMs in Playa Blanca. Always say no to paying in GBP to get the VISA rate at the ATM.
Hi,

I'm coming to stay for a few months in Lanzarote soon and was wanting a bit of information about how much cash to carry with me on the journey.

As soon as I get there I have to pay a deposit for an apartment and a month up front, and I'm also buying a car privately.

I have been looking at my options and was planning to carry £3k cash on the plane. This is money that I've saved up for the past few years from the money my lodgers have given me so I have no proof of where it came from - if you see what I mean. I know you don't have to declare cash unless it's £10k or equivelant value but if customs decide to take it away from me I believe they can and that would totally mess up my plans. No apartment, no car for work.

1. Someone has suggested travellers chqs from the Post Office. Theirs are American Express. Does anyone know if I can cash American Express Travellers Cheques anywhere in Lanzarote? Could I cash £3k in one go? I'm not looking at using them in restaurants or bars or anything, just to get cash with so I can pay for deposit and car. Does anyone have any experience of this in Lanzarote?

2. I saw online that I can get a prepaid cash card from a variety of places but there are so many bad reviews about them not working, I'm too frightened to contemplate it as I'd be stuck there with no apartment and no job for work. Plus, I believe you can only get £500 a day and I need to have access to all my money within the first couple of days. Again, does anyone have any experience of these cards?

3. Has anyone carried a large amount of money in cash to Lanzarote before?

It amazing how thick £3k is and it suddenly occured to me the other day, hang on, I'm going to put this in my handbag???? lol

I can't use my debit card as I'm closing the account and I don't have credit card.

So if anyone can give me some advice I'd be very grateful?

Thanks
You can easily change travellers cheques here. I know the Banco Santander accepts Amex TC's without commision, but I don't know how much you can change up in any one go.

I also have no idea how much cash you can carry into Lanzarote, but if the limit is 10k, then why would customs try to take your money off you if you only have 3k? Also if you get the biggest notes possible, I can't see how thick that would be to carry :que

Just being nosey here, but why would you be closing your account if you are only here for a few months? The debit card would be the safest way to get your money I would think?
Carryiing that amount of cash you would need to be very careful. I doubt normal travel insurance would cover for that amount.
Thanks for your replies.

I shall look at travellers chqs Madsue and just won't get large denominations - maybe £50. As long as I know I can use them over there that's brilliant.

If all goes well I'll be staying in Lanz so rather than taking time off to come back and sort everything out I just decided I'd do it all before I go. I'm not coming over until November so I have the time. Initially though, the contract is only for six months.
hi can anyone let me know how much is the exchange rate in the resort of puerto del carmen. thanks
Sorry to tell you ,NATIONWIDE, on their flex account card, are introducing charges wef 1/11/10.
Will study their leaflet and let you know exactly how much in the next few days.

Bad news methinks
For info and discussion about those charges, please click HERE for the Nationwide Flex Account topic in our General Holiday Enquiries forum.

David :wave
Sorry for putting my "old hat" news in the wrong place.
Please use Mod's link.
Not a problem desdamona, your post will serve as an alert to those members still unaware of the forthcoming changes.

David :wave
Hi,
Coming to PB 9thJune (Can't wait by the way, 1st time!), Thinking of taking a couple hundred quid spending money but not sure whether best to change into Euro's in UK or in Lanzarote? Any advice welcome.

Thanks
I'd wait until you get there. The exchange rate is better.
:) Hi, can anyone tell me what exchange rate is being given at the moment in PDC? Many thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.