Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
I wonder if bars/restaurants in the Euro Zone will consider lowering their prices

Unfortunately, they probably won't as the only tourists this affects are us Brits. Unless the majority of their tourists are Brits they won't lose out as none of the other Nationalities are affected.
Quote:
I wonder if bars/restaurants in the Euro Zone will consider lowering their prices

Unfortunately, they probably won't as the only tourists this affects are us Brits. Unless the majority of their tourists are Brits they won't lose out as none of the other Nationalities are affected.

Agree with you, Shirley. And why should they? The UK has been ripping of tourists for a LONG time. Our prices have always been high.
Plus, any price decrease would affect staff wages and the wages in Spain aren't exactly the best anyway.
By chance I was speaking to a young lady this morning who told me that she was in PDC last week. She said she was getting 117 to the pound in a tobacco shop near Pinoccios bar.
I dont know if this bar is on the main strip but if she was telling the truth it seems to be very good news.
I would be very surprised if she got that as the highest interbank rate recently has been 1.13.

luci :wave
Yes it does sound to good to be true, but she also told me that she got ripped off at the airport, only getting 0.98. (which airport she didnt say)
Well we all know the euro exchange is poor, but hey im going out back end of march, and whilst id like to see it back to 1.20ish, whatever the rate it wont spoil my holiday, looking forward to getting some sun theres no point in worrying about the rate just bloody well enjoy yourself, lifes too short
Well said, nashman. We're going in 12 days, and know we won't have a great lot of money, but I don't care!!
Hi all,
We came back from CT last Thursday and just thought i'd post to let you know what the rates were when we were there! At the ATM machine the rates were 0.93 but the tabaccco shop which is on the main road were offering 1.12 although we did notice it dropped to 1.09 the day before we left!
Hope ths is of some help to somebody!!! :)
Doesn't the ATM machine depend on your bank?
It depends on whether you accept their rate or not. Don't, always choose to get charged in GBP and the uk bank rate will apply. If you're card has a VISA symbol you'll get the VISA rate, whic is 1.13 today.

If it's a Nationwide card you will also not incur any bank charges.
robertk wrote:
It depends on whether you accept their rate or not. Don't, always choose to get charged in GBP and the uk bank rate will apply. If you're card has a VISA symbol you'll get the VISA rate, whic is 1.13 today.

If it's a Nationwide card you will also not incur any bank charges.

This is not correct. You should always choose the euro rate and not let the ATM convert it to sterling as it will be at a poor rate.

Also, from 6 May the Nationwide will start passing the Visa charge onto customers. It is currently 0.84%, but will rise to 1% from 1 July. This is only for countries outside Europe.

I have a Nationwide flex account, Will I now be charged from May if all I want to do is take money out of the atm whilst away?
I actually remembered to look at the rate yesterday when I was in PDC, and the indian shops were offering 1.11€
It's seems to be holding steady around €1 = £1.12 at the moment.
It's seems to be holding steady around €1 = £1.12 at the moment.

Or even the other way round! :D
VISA don't charge for using it in Spain so your Nationwide card will still be charge free, even after 1st July.
Sorry, I should have said that this is only for countries outside Europe so not really relevant to this forum. :oops:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.