Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
All the information is on the Nationwide's website.

luci :wave
Dont bring any euros back. Spend them all on holiday or keep them for your next adventure. I made the big mistake of bringing 40 euros back, expecting to change them back to pounds. My local Going Places exchange shop offered me £32.38 which I not so politely declined. I should have bought some tobacco with the 40 euros, that would have been worth at least 60 pounds.
People on ebay will buy them for more or less the going rate! Obviously theres ebays fee but you'll get a lot better deal than the shops!

Infact I just had a look and I can't believe what people are bidding for euros. They are basically bidding on 100 euros and saving themselves 30p comapred to the post office etc! Unbelievable!
If I bring any Euros home I stick them in a drawer for next time. :)
does any one know what the euro is over there at the moment thanks x
The VISA rate is 1.17 today so I'd guess the rate "on the street" over there is about 1.12 - 1.14

Someone will come along now and say different. :)
changed some money today in thomas cook got 1 12 which isnt too bad considering what it has been
Hi,
Just got back early fri morning and in our Hotel we got 21 euro to £20 but they took 1 euro comm and that seemed to be the same in most bureau exchanges. Pretty poor at the moment.
I'm sorry but you should really never change money in the hotels you tend to get the worst rate plus they take a commision although to be honest changing £20 your only losing out on 3euro, but if your changing £500 then thats a bit different. :really
We only done small amounts at a time as we were AI so didn't need much to spend, plus had taken euro's with us.
Going back to Lanzarote again next week (for the 10th time :) ) and was wondering what the exchange rate is there at the moment.
Currently the best I can get in UK is about 1.4 to 1.5.
Do you mean 1.04 of 1.14? If you can get 1.4 I'd snatch their hands off!! Think it was about 1.09 - 1.11 last week when I was there but it was falling.
Sunaddict,
Sorry - slip of the fingers ( and a bit of a "senior" moment ), meant 1.04.
Last week it was lower than the 1.09 - 1.11 you were getting.
Think I might leave the exchange till I get over there.
We're going in 2 weeks and was hoping to see the euro make slight upward turn, but so far this week it has just come down a little each day. We have a currency card from caxton fx, they give you a decent rate, but it's still not as good as it was a month ago when I first looked. It's very frustrating, if only we'd topped up the card when we got it, then we'd have got more like 1.12, now they're about 1.06. Maybe only small change, but it's still better in my pocket than anyone else's! Only consolation is how much easier it will be to compare prices with the pound and the euro almost being 1 for 1 (the downside to it being that it wont be cheap!)
Rate today 1.063 at Western Union money shop, so it is improving slowly :think !!
As I am going next Thursday, think I will wait a few more days.
robertk.
Thanks for info.
I have a TSB Debit/Visa card.
Checked with them and there is a 2.99% foreign exchage fee PLUS a transaction charge of between £2 and £4.50 for every use.
Makes a big bite into the 1.09 rate!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.