Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
luci HT Mod wrote:
Yes, in all the ATM's I've used in various countries.

When you put your card in it will either ask you to select your language, English, or it will recognise that it is a UK card and automatically give instructions in English.

It will ask what you want to do. I can't remember all the options, but I think one is something like Purse Transaction. It will ask what type of account and again there will be several options. That's when you choose Checking Account.

luci :wave

Luci thanks again,

Do you know if there are many ATM's in Sunny Beach? Particularly round about Hotel Laguna Park.
Not a clue, never been! :rofl One of our knowledgeable members will be along shortly to answer you.

luci :wave
There are loads of ATM's but not sure exactly where re your hotel. There's bound to be one fairly close.

Patka
Could someone tell me which is best credit cards euro's or stirling. Have read some reviews which seems to suggest ATM's are not very reliable.
There are many pages on "Currency/exchange rate/ATM locator info- Q&As" HERE

Credit cards are not recommended because of charges, the Nationwide Flexi debit card has none and is recommended. If you live in the UK take Bank of England notes, otherwise Euros if that's your normal currency.

ATMs are as reliable there as here, just take the same precautions.

Any more questions, please fire away on the Currency thread and they'll be picked up and answered a lot faster than on this one.

Peter
hi i have just returned from golden sands the exchange rate was 2.36 to the pound the rate never changed while i was there for 2wks it was at the alliance bank which was reccomended by our rep
the exchange rate was 2.36 to the pound the rate never changed while i was there for 2wks it was at the alliance bank which was reccomended by our rep
hi i have just returned from golden sands the exchange rate was 2.36 to the pound the rate never changed while i was there for 2wks it was at the alliance bank which was reccomended by our rep

I've never had less than 2.45 Leva to 1 Pound since I've been in Bulgaria (late June), but the exchange rate in the resorts is fixed at a much lower figure than the 'real' exchange rates which are available in 'normal' Bulgarian towns/cities.

Baldur
just booked up for next year for sunny beach. Neighbours are just back and they took english money and exchanged it in local bamks no probs. I am a bit wary of taking all cash and was wondering what is the position if i took sterling travellers cheques to change in the local banks? will there be much difference in the exchange rates? or indeed will they accept sterling travellers cheques to change to lev.
Finally will it still be the lev next year?
Traveller's cheques attract commission charges and very few people use them nowadays. Another drawback is that you have to produce your passport which is better kept in your hotel safety deposit box.

The consistent advice on the many pages of this thread is to take cash or use an ATM, preferably with a NatWest Flexi card.

The way Bulgaria is not getting its act together after EU entry, they will using the Euro in 2015 or later.

Peter
The consistent advice on the many pages of this thread is to take cash or use an ATM, preferably with a NatWest Flexi card.

As Peter says, the Nationwide Flex A/C Debit Card is invaluable (anywhere in the World, not just Bulgaria), although it is a current account, you do not need to switch from your existing bank account & can simply use it as a holiday money account - topping it up as required for withdrawals abroad.

The lowest rate which I have received to date on my Flex Account Card (since June 26th) is 2.458 and the highest 2.495 to 1 Pound - far better than the Bulgarian banks' cash exchange rates.

Baldur
Hello everybody.
I'm going to Bourgas on Sunday to open a Euro account in a Bulgarian bank where I would be able to transfer money from UK. I need it to pay for the property I'm buying.
Could you recommend a good bank where they don't charge on receiving or cashing the funds?
Help please.
:que
hi everyone.

we are just sorting our holiday money out, and i remember that someone on here said not to take any english notes that was written on or shabby. what do ya class as shabby i.e do they ave to be crisp new notes. and also is it ok to take old £20 notes as we have got mixed notes, old and new ones.xxxx
Old & new £20's are OK,

No writing, no tears but don't have to be brand spanking new. The banks are the worst culprits for scribbling numbers on them & they will def. be refused.

I have known a note with lipstick marks to be refused.

Patka
Hi lgeogiou,

I'm going to Bourgas on Sunday to open a Euro account in a Bulgarian bank where I would be able to transfer money from UK. I need it to pay for the property I'm buying.
Could you recommend a good bank where they don't charge on receiving or cashing the funds?
Help please

I suspect that you are unlikely to find a Bulgarian bank which doesn't charge - most of them charge for virtually every transaction, unlike most UK banks, Postbank even charges 20 Stotinki for a Borica ATM withdrawal.

Check out the banks' websites (see my posts earlier in this thread for a few links) where you should find their tarrifs displayed, if you search enough.

Baldur.
Me and the wife are of to Sunny Beach on Monday staying at the Riu Evrika.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the Raiffeisen bank is located in the resort and do you
have to produce your passport when you change money there.
Louis0121, unable to help where the bank is situated in Sunny Beach, but a GOLDEN Rule is photocopy your Details of Passport, always leave your passport in Hotel Security Box. Nine times out of ten you are not asked for details.when exchanging Cash. Tonyt
Louis0121, after some research, the bank is situated at the Hotel Diamant, which is on the main road almost opposite the tall Kuban Hotel, I would think looking at map you are 20/30 mins walk away. opening hours are 0830/1730. Cheers Tonyt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.