Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Sorry to hear about the old couple ,but we are always warned about these places and the exchange of money :que June
As most of we regulars are aware, Nationwide's Flex Account's VISA Debit Card (or their Cash Card Account's Cirrus Cash Card) offers by far the best means of acquiring Leva at the best rate and many of us have opened a Flex account purely for the facility for fee-free ATM withdrawals abroad.

Nationwide have recently changed their requirements for opening an account, obviously trying to encourage applicants not to open an account solely for the foreign exchange benefits and to use it as their main current account but it's still possible to open one by selecting that you do not intend to use it as your main account but will open an e-Savings or e-Savings Plus account (both of which have a minimum balance requirement of £1).

So for £1 deposited into either of the above accounts, you can open a Flex account and benefit from the best rate of exchange available - you can also switch your holiday money instantly from e-Savings to your Flex account, minimising the risk of 'card cloning', etc., as you can transfer just enough into your Flex a/c to cover immediate needs.

Baldur
HI,
Would any one know if i can use or suggest to use my Natwest bank Card's Which is a Solo and i got a maestro bank card too?? do the ATM's work with these?
many thanks Scottyhull
You can certainly use the Maestro Card (not sure about the Solo one) BUT you will pay significant withdrawal fees/charges - which is why most of us who are regular travellers use Nationwide cards. See HERE for more information.

Nationwide fees & charges = 0

Natwest fees & charges = 2.75% load plus 2% cash withdrawal fee with a minimum of £2 per transaction (maximum £5), so you would pay nearly 5% for the privilege of spending your own money.
What is the current Rate fro the Lev to the pound to buy at the minute in Bulgaria banks?
What is the current Rate fro the Lev to the pound to buy at the minute in Bulgaria banks?

Read my post HERE and click on the links for each bank's current cash exchange rate. As i'm currently in Bulgaria and have limited internet access, I am no longer updating the post.

400 Leva withdrawn from an ATM here in Bulgaria yesterday (using my Nationwide Debit Card) cost £174.48, giving a rate of 2.2925.

Baldur
oh right cheers, I'm getting a Flex Account now anyway's its obviously the best thing to do by mile and every time i go on holiday ill just top it up, so ill keep it running with a tenner in or so, and top it up every time i go on holiday. many Thanks.
scottyhul..
You can no longer open a FlexAccount unless you meand certain criteria. SEE HERE

luci :wave
Hi Luci,

You can no longer open a FlexAccount unless you meand certain criteria. SEE HERE

It's actually still very easy, you just need to deposit £1 in an e-Savings/e-Savings Plus account, see my post HERE.

Baldur
ive applied for an account online now they sending me papers for ID and signature.
so ill only have to open it with a pound and then its usable for free Currency exchange transfers in Bulgaria??
scottyhull ..
scottyhull wrote:
ive applied for an account online now they sending me papers for ID and signature.
so ill only have to open it with a pound and then its usable for free Currency exchange transfers in Bulgaria?

You have to open an e-Savings or e-Savings Plus account as well as the Flex account (can also be done online) and deposit £1 into it - as far as the Flex account is concerned, you obviously need to deposit enough to cover your ATM withdrawals in Bulgaria (or any other destination) before you go on holiday - all of your withdrawals will then be free of charges within the VISA European area of operations.
Hi, This thread has really been helpful..thanks Baldur! I have dusted off my flexaccount card ready for the holiday and rung nationwide for a pin reminder...(yes its been that long). The lady confirmed that Nationwide dont charge for using the card abroad but the Visa element...which Nationwide used to absorb and not pass on, is now passed onto the customer at 0.86% per transaction, which is still a lot better than the others.
Happy hols everyone! :) :)
is it 2010 when the Euro comes in effect in Bulgaria
There are no serious indications that Bulgaria will be able to join the Euro in 2010, with 2012 a possible date, but realistically 2015 being more like it.

See HERE and HERE

Peter
Cuddles1970,

Visa dont make a charge in Bulgaria for processing to sterling, so you shouldnt pay any fee when using your flex account debit card at ATM's. More information is listed on nationwide's web site under foreign transcations information. Thye have a list of countries where Visa do not make a charge. It looks like most countries in the EU and Bulgaria.

Jo
Hi Jo, thanks for that, I will have a look. The lady on the phone made it sound like it was everywhere!
Hello
Just back from Albena and the banks there were only giving 2.10 lev to the pound.

Nicole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.