Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Just got back from Bourgas.
Lovely place, good cheap food and hotels, friendly people.
I opened a personal account on First Investment and Allianz bank, whicn is by "Bulgaria hotel"
I would recommend the later as they told me that I can withdraw 2000 Euro a day without notice and free of charge, and any amountwith a couple of days notice, subject to a 10 Euro charge
In First Investment bank I was told that I can withdraw 2000 a day free of charge, up to 5000 a day with a notice, and over it you are charged some commission, don't remember how much exactly.
You can withdraw 730 Lev a day from ATM, although may be not in one go.
Hi,We're just back from nessebur and used our Nationwide Flexicount card which has no withdrawl charges for cash.We found that there was plenty of ATM's to choose from there and we had absolutely no problem at all..I checked online today what exchange rate we got and it varied from the lowest being 2.42 levs to 2.46 levs to the pound,which going by todays rate of 2.41levs,i thought we done ok. :)Hope this helps someone. :D
Our exchange rate was with Holiday Hypermarket at 2.25

Which proves how good the advice we give on this thread is. We recommend changing at banks and hotel receptions in Bulgaria, or using a Nationwide Flexi card.

Peter
hi, im due to travel to sunny beach in less than two weeks and was wondering what the exchange rate is over there. i have already exchanged half my money here because i got what i thought was a good rate at tesco which was 2.39 lev per pound, would anyone reccomend to change the rest of my money over here or when i get to sunny beach.
You have done well, the opening rate in Bulgarian Raiffeinsen Bank today is 2.387, so very unlikely if you will get more than 2.28 in Hotels. Tonyt.
You have done well, the opening rate in Bulgarian Raiffeinsen Bank today is 2.387, so very unlikely if you will get more than 2.28 in Hotels.

On the other hand, Tesco's online rate today is 2.304500, so significantly less than Raiffeisen's rate.

The rate changes daily, in line with global currency markets - the last time that I withdrew cash on my Flex Account Card here (a couple of weeks ago), I received 2.47 Leva to the Pound.

Baldur
I Have a Nationwide Flexi Account and draw money from that while on holiday but I have also some Euros left from my previous holiday, which would be best to change in BG Euro or GBP's please? ;)
I Have a Nationwide Flexi Account and draw money from that while on holiday but I have also some Euros left from my previous holiday, which would be best to change in BG Euro or GBP's please?

The Euro is a fixed rate against the Lev (Official Rate is €1=1.9558 Leva), so you would find less fluctuation with Euro compared with Sterling. Expect Bulgarian banks to offer slightly less than the official rate, e.g. Raiffeisen €1=1.951 Leva; Postbank €1=1.9505 Leva.

ATM withdrawals via the Flex Account Debit Card are still significantly better than cash exchanges.
Thanks Baldur, it was just a bit of cash laying about and I thought I could use it for spends rather than take Sterling, like to take a bit of cash as well. :tup
I thought I could use it for spends rather than take Sterling

Probably a good idea - at least you know how many Leva you will receive for your Euro before you go (as long as you stick with high-street banks to exchange your cash, rather than exchange bureaux/hotels, etc., which are likely to offer much poorer rates).
In anticipation of the usual exchange rate queries.

Current cash rates of exchange for Sterling & Euro in some Bulgarian high street banks today:

26/06/2009

United Bulgarian Bank £1 = 2.27100 Leva; €1 = 1.95050 Leva

Raiffeisen Bank £1 = 2.254 Leva; €1 = 1.951 Leva

Postbank £1 = 2.2479 Leva; €1 = 1.9505 Leva

Bulbank £1 = 2.241 Leva; €1 = 1.947 Leva

DSK Bank £1 = 2.2252 Leva; €1 = 1.9490 Leva

First Investment Bank £1 = 2.22400 Leva; €1 = 1.94600 Leva

The Interbank rate suggests that those withdrawing Leva from Bulgarian ATMs, using Nationwide's Flex Account Debit Card, should receive a rate of around £1 = 2.29493 Leva today.

This will be my last daily update, as I leave for Bulgaria later today.

To check rates for yourself, simply click the above links - most rates are updated by 7 a.m. UK time (9 a.m. Bulgarian time).

The majority of rates (other than the interbank rate) are not updated on Sundays.

Baldur
  • Edited by Baldur 2009-06-26 06:02:46
Going to bulgaria, sunny beach, kalina gardens hotel, in 6 weeks.Neever been before. all my travelling companions have been beforeand are all taking english sterling, no tc`s at all. I am not comfortable with this but they say you lose a lot in the changeover fronm tc`s to lev. Is this correct? Not too keen on using hole in wall. Only done this once before in benidorm and got £400 stolen from account. What is best thing to do?.is it just to take cash I bank with the abbey national ? I take it you get charged for taking money out using abbey card. Is it per transaction or by how much. Any relevant info would be gratefully appreciated, thanks
Hi gerryg,

The standard Abbey Debit Card charges appear to carry a foreign transaction loading of 2.75% + £1.25 per purchase and a cash withdrawal fee of 1.5% (minimum £1.99) - per transaction. See HERE for details:

Visa Debit Card and Visa Electron Card use outside the UK (in addition to Visa/ PLUS cash withdrawal handling charge) 2.75% of the value

Visa cash withdrawal, purchase of Travellers Cheques or foreign currencies from banks, organisations or cash machines displaying the Visa or Plus symbol (if cash machine not part of Abbey or LINK cash machine network) handling charge 1.5% of the value (minimum £1.99)

Point of Sale purchases (not cash withdrawals) abroad and in a currency other than sterling £1.25 overseas transaction fee

Baldur
Hi Gerry
You will pay commission on travellers cheques and will need to carry your passport to change them. If you take cash, make sure the notes are clean, unmarked and not torn. Use banks or CROWN exchange booths. Do not be tempted to exchange at other booths or if approached in the street. Only carry what you need ie DONT carry all your cash out with you. Invest in a safety deposit box in the accommodation.
thanks for replies, so the general consensus is if you are not using your card then most other people take english sterling with them and just change it as you go when you get there?
If you don't have a Nationwide Flex account Debit Card/Cash Card, exchanging Sterling in Bulgaria (£10/£20 notes - NOT Scottish banknotes, which most banks, etc., won't accept) is probably the next best option.

Note the advice given by HMJ regarding street moneychangers & most streetside 'exchange booths' the rates may sound good but you *will* be cheated.
Last week while we where there a friend of ours went into Old Nessebar and went into an exchange shop where he exchanged his money, went outside and realized they had given him a forged 100 lev note. He went back in and told them but they denied it which of course they would, so he was down by approx £50, he was an OAP as well. So please check your money carefully when it's handed to you and in their plain sight. :(
was the 100 lev note handed out in either a bank or a crown exchange booth as recommended earlier in the thread or was it in one of the dodgy ones?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.