Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Shirley

"Flat" isn't the first word that springs to mind for this bit of coastline. On the other hand, "beautiful" is.

The main coast road runs past Kassiopi. Probably not the best cycle route, and you can't really head north without using it.

South is a different mater. It's an easy ride to the first beach at Avlaki. There is a pebble beach, taverna and little else there but the views and scenery are nice.

After that the next resort is Ag Stephanos, which is where we're heading next Monday and I can't wait. We love the place.

You'll probably need to push your bike for 5-10 minutes up the steep hill from Avlaki to Sinies (which is back on the coastal road). But after that it's all downhill to Ag Steph for about two miles, and the views are stunning.

In Ag Steph, where there are a lovely selection of bars and restaurants, it's another short hop to Kerasia. There's nothing at Kerasia apart from a lovely beachfront restaurant and a pebble beach. If you want to know what it looks like, buy the Rough Guide to Corfu - it's on the front cover.

There are lots of lovely spots further south, but that's probably far enough unless you're a serious biker.

Of course, if you cycle there, you'll need to cycle back, and the road back from Ag Stepg to Sinies will be a long haul, although far from impossible if you don't mind pushing your bike for a while.

To be honest (and don't get me wrong, I love cycling) it's probably easier, but less exercise, if you hire a boat.

Richard
Thanks for the detailed info Richard. Think I'll give the cycling a miss (It was the return cycle that put me off). Boat hire sounds wonderful to me, unfortunately hubby isn't very confident in or on the water. He has to be coaxed to come on an organised boat trip and only gives in for some peace. What we both like to do is to hire a motorbike. We've done this on a couple of occasions in the past to explore some of the islands - so I think we'll stick to that. We've been to Corfu before (13 or so years ago now) and I remember how beautiful the island was. I'm really looking forward to the scenery. As a matter of interest is Ag Stefanos the same place as San Stefanos. Have a great holiday. We touch down a week tomorrow!
Shirley

Aghios/Ayos/San/St are all interchangeable. It's even more confusing because there's a much larger resort called Ag Stefanos on the north-west coast of Corfu.

If you're hiring a moped I'd reccomend heading south and visiting the small bays that line the coast, and can't really be seen from the main road - Kalloura is a very pretty little harbour, there's Kalami where Gerrald Durrell wrote My Family and Other Animals, and Agni.

Agni is either famous or infamous - depends on your point of view - for it's three beechfront restaurants that includes the Agni Taverna run by an English guy called Nathan. People either love or find it insufferably smug. Personally, I love it. You certainly shouldn't let it put you off visiting the bay which is an absolutely beautiful spot.

Just be careful on some of the roads down to these spots - very twisty-turney.

You'll have a gas. We normally call into Kassiopi a few times, if only becasue it's got the nearest cash machines. A meal by the harbour's also lovely if there aren't too many people about.
Hi Shirley, we have stayed in Kassiopi but didn't cycle from there. But once stayed in Roda, and I had an idea to cycle to Kassiopi to see it again, it wasn't too bad going but coming back out I think I bushed the bike more than I rode it due to the hills. Never again. Don't know how far it was
I once cycled from Kavos upto Sidari - now that was a good cycle if anyone is interested ?

Or would most people have preferred to done it my girlfriends way ? (she drove it in her jeep while I cycled)
RobT,

I like your girlfriend's style. My husband would have enjoyed the cycle given half the chance but he made do with a bit of a jog through the resort. He used to be a keen runner and cyclist before he started having trouble with one of his knees. Two operations later, he's had to tone the excercise down and make do with a leisurely jog when he thinks his knee is up to it.
There is no way I would have hired a bicycle on those roads, they were much too windy and very steep in places.
She drove beside me for the first couple of miles then offered me the chance to put my bike in the back of the jeep.
I declined and she drove off and said she was at sidari in just over 2 hrs.

Well, I watched her drive off into the distance and thought, have I done the right thing.

Over 10hrs later I arrived in sidari and I was shattered, not to mention how hot it was, it was very hilly.

She said how she enjoyed the drive with the breeze in the jeep and what had taken me so long ? - how jealous I became !
that was a very long way to cycle. Were you still speaking at the end? Did your girlfriend have a long cool drink waiting for you at Sidari? You certainly deserved it. We're off to Santorini in August and I don't suppose the roads will be any better for cycling there. We'll have to wait and see.
Oh yes we were still speaking (well she was, until I managed to catch my breath). No long drink waiting though :-( She had a full day on the sunlounger relaxing, while I was still struggling along in her path.

It seemed ok as we rode beside each other coming out of Kavos on the flat so I decided to let her get her foot down and make a break for it.

A mistake I won't make again. trust me I was very very jealous of her for days to come. She was making a rite joke about it, like "what took me so long" and "what an easy drive it was". Thats gilr drivers for you eh? willling to take the mick out of us blokes when beating us
Anyone else wanna try that cycle from kavos to sidari - let me know
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.