Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Graeme,you can't go wrong with Daytripper - have used them many times ,very good, well organised and nice people who run the place.
Many people take trips using the taxis (plenty about - so no worries there !!),you will find taxis outside the Highland who are regulars and stake there 'pitch' there so they will have taken hundreds before you.You will be approached by them so ask them for the tourist organised trip sheet which are all pre priced.
Plenty of buses to get you to various towns/villages and also the capital Panaji (Panjim).
Dolphin trips,fishing trips the markets are all there to go and do.
Jungle trip with Daytripper is brilliant,as is the waterfalls.Devbagh Island is nice and quiet to get away from it all for a change,and also Pallolem down south for the better beaches.
Daytripper is a definate though but i would book them when you get there,to give you a chance to 'settle' in with the surroundings (some people take 2 or 3 days to get used to the atmosphere/culture etc..
PM me for any other trips you fancy for more info.
Spike.
Daytripper seem reasonable but if you want to save money get a taxi.

Dudsager falls at £19 a person seems steep to me. I would estimate a day taxi to be £15-£17 max split between 4 or 2 cheap!!! Also you can decide what time you want to leave.

All taxis/transport have to stop and use the Nat Park Jeeps which isn't pricey. Remember there is a video camera surcharge of 350 rps as film companies also use this beautiful location. So share the cam if there is a few of you with cams.

Also if you want to bathe the elephants at Ponda, get a taxi. The tour ops' are making a packet on that one.

I've been all over Goa in the last 4 years and never used a tour op', you don't really need them. If you meet a taxi driver you get on with give them the business.
Thanks very much Spike and Big Neil. I think we will probably go on a couple of trips with daytripper then once we get more confident we can explore a bit more using a taxi. Like the sound of washing the elephants but dont want to stay out in the jungle overnight or anything. Might be easier to do this via taxi then?

Also, has anybody been to the "Gala Night" at the Fort Aguada Hotel or on the Grand Island trip? Would like to hear what these two are like.

Sorry to keep going on but what are the best markets to go to and on what days?

Can't wait to go... have warned my partner that it will be nothing like she has ever experienced and I think she is getting a little worried! Sure she will love it though.
Anjuna Flea market to me is like living hell. It's a red hot dust bowl of mayhem and hassle. Selling crap you don't want, everbody goes there. If you think that beachsellers are a hassle you haven't seen it yet. Save your energy go to the beach that day as everyone will be at the market. Been there once 5 years ago and that was enough... will never go back. one of the most overrated experiences in Goa.

Go to Mackies market on a Saturday evening at Baga by Marina Dorada or if it's still on the Ingo Market (also saturday eve) in Arpora which seems to be shifting around so check on Ingo. There is usually a bit of live music and more organised with better tat.
Hi Gaeme, Hubby and I have been to the Fort Aguada gala night and it was really nice. The entertainment was pretty good and the hot & cold buffet was excellent! We booked direct with the hotel thinking we would save money but in fact it cost about the same as Daytripper charge (approx £7.00 each) and Daytripper include your taxi fare in this price. Anyway we will be back in Candolim again 16th Feb and will be doing it again for 1 night. Not been on the island tour though. Enjoy!

Tracy
Have to agree with neil
Anjuna market is such a hassle everybody seems to want a piece of you
and thats where the dreaded ear men go to work
We went shopping in panjim and really enjoyed the day there Went on the local ferry free of charge cant remeber where we caught it but it was only a ten min taxi ride someone will tell you
Anyway it was a great day and such a differance from anjuna
the shops are plentiful as are cafes and bars and the market was well worth seeing but hold your nose when you get to the fish market lol
all in all we had a great day there bought loads of top designer clothes for the price of snides well worth a day out
sharon
Thank you to everyone who replied!

Think we will give that market a miss but might see if there any others worth having a look at.

One last thing - I know there is a thread regarding favourite restaurants (which I have taken lots of notes from) but what are peoples opinions on the best beach shacks to eat, drink and pass the day in on Candolim beach?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Ganesh shack,but i guess you will get a flood of other reccomendations.When you 1st head to the beach just try any,they are all good with nice food and cold drinks - if you like it stick to it,or move on down to another.Some have music/pool tables etc..,some are more busy than others (doesn't mean they are no good),you will find one you will stick to so no worries.
i think big neils right! anjuna market is dreadful during the day! You get dust all over you... its boiling hot you feel sick and people just follow you to buy their goods! I went to mackies in december and that was more peaceful! They had the same things there as they did in anjuna too. I also went to the zoo in december which is in the south and that was nice to go around! They had leopards, snakes, king cobra, crocodiles.. loads ! All caged dont worry! The spice plantations were great too and you get a lovely meal there!
I disagree.

I think everyone should go to Anjuna Market at least once. It really is an experience. Not suggesting you buy there particularly but it is worth a visit - take a water taxi from Baga Beach to avoid the busy roads. If it gets too hot for you relax at the bar with a nice cold Kings.

The best advice I can give is what I was told when I first went there and that is that there is nothing in the market that should cost more than £ 5 so a good place to test your barterering skills.

After that I'd stick to Mapusa for actual purchases, they sell everything and more.
Thanks again everybody!

Good to see people have different opinions - that is what a holiday is all about I suppose. Think we will definitley go to the spice plantation, the waterfalls, wash the elephants and eat and drink loads!!

Can anyone confirm that prawns and other seafood are readily available at the shacks as I am a big seafood fan and eating it whilst being on a beach just sounds like heaven!! Any special shacks to visit for this?

Thanks again!
grduncan,

fish, prawns lobster etc available at most shacks. just make sure that they are fresh AND beware of the black thread thingy in the prawns (part of its intestines or something) this is not always removed but you don't want to eat it!!
Not sure if they are available at lunchtimes though, it may be that you can only get them in the evening.
other than that we have had no problems with any of the food and have eaten in some really "iffy" places.

del949
Any other views on good day trips or beach shacks in Candolim? WE go on Thursday and can't wait!

A few people on here seem to say avoid eating shellfish but this was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to Goa - as I remember someone on here saying you can watch the fisherman bring their catch in and get it cooked at a shack. Sounds like heaven to me! What are peoples opinions on this?
and when is the wedding??
I don't say avoid shellfish, just ensure that you don't inadvertantly eat the black thread thingy.
Personally I don't like shellfish but wifey eats it and enjoys it with no problems.

( daffynition of a shellfish...got lots of legs, lives in the sea ...it's a sea going spider :lol: yeeeuch! or it's something reminiscent of a bogey even more eeeuch!!) sorry about the last bit :lol:
del949
I take it you mean me Fiona? My partner and I got married on 10th December but she loves Christmas so much that we thought it would be best to go on honeymoon after the new year so here we go on Thursday!! We also went to Prague for 2 nights after the wedding and it was superb. Different sort of temperatures to Goa though!
Thanks for that description del!! You make seafood sound so attractive :lol:
Belated congratulations on the wedding!
Thanks Fiona. Hoping this will be the holiday of a lifetime... Have a notebook full of tips from this site already!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.