Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
delhi belly
128 Posts
threads merged- hopefully some info for you here Cockerillf :D
The most common problem is too much sun.
This can cause similar symptoms as deli belli.
Drink lots of water and don't stay in the sun for too long.
We suffered the first time we ent, took a long walk along the beach (2 hours) and the next day were both ill. Since then have tried to keep out of the sun for first few days and have had no problems since.
Unfortunately I think most of us suffer from a bit of delhi belly at some point on holiday. We have been taking pro-biotic tablets and will take them when there as well. Also taking the little pro biotic drinks as well.
I always stock up well with the anti bacterial hand wash, i think thats quite important as well.
Thanks for that - couldnt find any info :thanks
sometimes it can be the water in the swimming pool that can make you ill :shock:
Holland Barrett are doing half price chewable Acidophilus tablets at the moment £3-49 for 100. :D
HI re the tummy trouble theme, it's really sensible precautions, like washing hands or using wipes/gels especially before eating or handling money.
Loperamide or any anti diarrhoeal tablets are ok for emergencies but it is better to let nature take it's course and expel whatever bug has caused the problem, taking them sometimes results in return of the problem after stopping the tablets.
Ensure you drink plenty of water to replace fluids lost as dehydration can itself cause you to feel ill.
Tablets called meftelspas which you get in Goa have anti spasmodic and anti inflammatory so good for cramps!
I have never yet had a problem with upset tum (though wont be too smug as going out there next week - and who knows what might happen!) I have started taking pro and pre biotics - don't know if they make any difference but worth a try!!

End of medical lecture!!!!! - sorry can't help it's my job!
Hi Chris the tablets you mention Acidophilus, is that the ones you were speaking about when we met a lazy days? I am definitely going to get them, they sound brill!
Hope you had a nice holiday x
I buy Kordel's 'Intesto-Active' which is Acidophilus Bifidus in capsules (costs about £6.00 if bought in a well known supermarket).

I take one each day when I am in Goa and touching my head, I have never had any tummy trouble whilst taking them.
Thanks Sydney thats fab, :D will keep a note of the name and have a look in the shops for them.
Nothing worse than delhi belly :evil:
I dont usually suffer from a bad stomach in Goa.
When i went with my parents a few years ago my mam got a really bad dose of it, so my dad went to the chemist and got some yellow tablets, i think she had 2 to start with then one every few hours. It cleared up within about half a day.
Not sure what the tablets were called though, my dad kept a large supply in his wallet, so when other tourists were ill he';d proudly give them a few tablets :lol:
had it so bad last year we had to call our taxi driver who brought a doctor to our apartment, we were both given and injection in the butt and a course of antibiotics and other stuff = the doc said if you suffer with a painful diahorrea for more that 24 hours dont go to the pharmacy as you need to be seen by a professional - he also warned us against watermelon juice! which we had been drinking loads of couldn't tell us why!! Upon our return to the UK the bug kicked back inwith me and I had to have a 3 week course of antibiotics again
We were in Goa i Nov and i caught a dose of something nasty, as usual, i went to the chemist around the corner from Luma Supermarket and i started to explain my symptoms to the girl behind the counter - she offered me some diarrhea tablets and some vomistop, as this was happening i was standing next to an indian looking bloke who happened to be a British GP form near Sheffield, he confirmed my symptoms and told the girl to give me a certain type of antbiotics 500mg take twice a day, i told him that i'd had food poisoning before and the english gp's had taken tests (blood, stool) before they had administered any treatment. He told me that this was perfectly normal as the would want to know exactly what they were dealing with. He went on to say normally they would give you this antibiotic to treat most type of food poisoning - any way I took them and they worked a treat.
If anyone wants to know the name I will post later as the missus wrote the name down and she's asleep!!

Paul
We did really well for about 4 days until we all had a tunna tikka steak at a beach hut one night. I didn't get cramp or anything like that just had the runs. It lasted for about 2 weeks after I returned home too. I was never ill enough for it to put me off doing anything.

I can't stress the importance of washing your hands enough! I has a little bottle of green hand wash (alchol bassed) I got it from one of the chemists. I worked really well. I also bought some bug spray and bug cream that I put on at every night. I didn't get bitten even once!! :D
Hi Gemma 33
they are the tablets we were talking about never
had one upset tummy in 3 weeks. cant recomend
them enough, yes had a great holiday,it was nice
to meet you and your husband at lazy days.
chris. :)
Thanks Chris thats magic will stock up on them soon. Was thinking about start taking them a month before we travel.
goa
Are you all talking about the intesto-active or is there some others ?
Hi oap yes thats the tablets that sydney mentioned and also some other ones called Acidophilus. Can be bought in Holland and Barrett. I met CMJ at lazy days and swears by them, hasnt had an upset tummy in 3 years.
I bought Acidophilus tablets today and we will start taking them as we go three weeks this sunday. Hopefully no more upset tummies :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.