Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
delhi belly
128 Posts
Can you get Gaviscon over in Goa? I sometimes get bad heartburn so would it be better taking some over? Its quite pricey over here, about £6 a bottle and its usually gone within a couple of days. I dont like the chewy tablets so only the liquid will do.

P.S

How common is it for people getting a delhi belly, after all?
Should I expect to have it, no matter how many cares I have with food and drink?
I know our system can react merely to the change of water and spices, but is that what you call delhi belly?

Ive always found most restaurants/beach shacks to be good, but i suppose you have to adjust to the climate change and food change so that can sometimes trigger 'delhi belly' . Just be careful not to drink tap water, avoid ice, and some people even suggest to stay away from things like salads. If you do get delhi belly it shouldnt last for more than a couple of days. Just go to the local chemist and ask for some tablets. When we went two years ago my dad had delhi belly, think he had tot ake 2 tablets at first then 1 tablet every few hours. It went within 24hours. They were small ,light orange tablets.
(sorry for this to be off topic, my fault)

yummyummi,
my doctor already prescribed me with some basic medicins to take along and two of them are for ill-belly and that's how I'm supposed to take them: 2 at first and then 1 for each "discharge" :p I better be safe than sorrow, so I'll even wash my teeth with bottled water :lol:
With regard to Delhi Belly

Just be a bit more careful than you would in the U.k. and you'll be fine.

Don't take anything for granted, make sure you wash your hands properly after visiting the bathroom and again before eating; wipe the tops of bottles or cans before drinking and use a glass.

I'm pretty adventurous with food and drink and have only ever once (well maybe twice) been ill in Goa, which was down to my own stupidity.

If all else fails I find Honey Bee is a pretty good cure all - accept for hangovers, which it seems to make worse, take a fresh lime & soda for that
:oops: :oops: ..nothing worse than the dreaded delhi belly :oops: :oops: happens to us all at sometime in goa ....last year one of the lads who work in the (tipsy beach shack) in calangute..new i was unwell with it ..he went and got me tablets they were like miracle workers... :D only had to take 2 or 3 he told me 4 tablets was 3 rupees so i asked him to get me 100.....if you need the name let me know...has anyone else been to the tipsy beach shack RAJ ..his friend cant remember his name and DIPSY make you more than welcome.
i would never advise anyone to take anything for dheli belly that they have brought from the the uk as we have different types of viruses etc you should always get local stuff ! just as an example if you take immodium it can feed the bug and make you much worse so dont take them with you,also you can get 12 month supply's of tablets for the price of a uk prescription,as for gaviscon the best thing is to take a small bottle but find out before hand what is the best thing to take (not over the counter stuff but prescription ) and you will be able to get it in goa for a fraction of the price
as for gaviscon its not the best stuff anyway zantax are much stronger especially the prescribed ones gaviscon is more like rennie
If you tell the chemist you have the runs they will give you something called 'Eldoper' which contains loperamide which is the main 'ingredient' in immodium. It doesnt kill any nasty bacteria but it does 'slow you down and thicken you up' . I did get campylobacter once in Goa, I was off work for six weeks during which time I had a home visit from my local EHO, I was eventually given an expensive course of antibiotics which sorted me out. This didnt put me off going to Goa it just made me more careful.
Would it help if you took a 'good bacteria' tablet before you go and whilst there?
The locals will tell you to drink lassi or lime soda to settle your stomach. I never take immodium or the likes, i work on the philosophy that it's better out than in. If you get the cramps they can be horrible but can be eased with spasminol tablets. Also take vomitstop if you feel nauseous.(Both available here in Goa) Another good tablet is called Nutrinol B, it puts vitamins back into your system that you may have lost with Delhi Belly. Drink bucket loads of water and buy some rehydration sachets from the chemist. My biggest tip is to stock up on all of the above when you first arrive, that way you are prepared for the Delhi Belly should it decide to visit you in the middle of the night.
Goldenflipflop
I dont like taking Immodium either, but if the cramps start in the morning and were heading out for a day at a shack I do take one! Dont fancy visiting the shack toilets with the runs, ...........or more importantly I wouldnt want to be the one visiting it after me!!!! :oops:
Elliebee, I usually take a bottle of 'Acidophilus Bifidus' (good bacteria) with me. I take one each morning and have never had a problems.
Another cause of upset tummies is bacteria on your hands especially in the tropical heat, I bought some `Clean & Dry antibacterial hand gel` from Superdrug yesterday 99p a bottle, before you eat always make sure you wash your hands very thoroughly.
I also took acidophilas bifidus tablets, and also the hand wash
and did not have a problem with delhi belly. first time in 9 years.
Did you get the Acidophilus Bifdus here or in Goa - I suffer terribly when am away :oops: (have IBS and suffer enough here) - so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
HI Sonya I got mine from holland barrettes, and also got
some capsules from goa called lacto bacil which are the same thing
from the chemist in mappsa opersite the market.
ok thanks very much - will PM you separately.
Sounds really obvious to say don't drink the water but how many of us swallow water accidently whilst in the shower? Since keeping our mouths shut whilst showering my hubby and I have been ok. Touch wood :lol: :lol:
Don't have the ice in Club Cubana, it is made from well water despite what they might tell you behind the bar.
I forgot to say that the Nutrilon B tablets that i mentioned in my earlier post contain Lactic Acid Bacillus.
The tablets cost 12 rupees for a packet of ten and are available in all chemists.
Goldenflipflop xx
A lot of people have warned me of 'Delhi belly'/upset stomachs whilst in India/Goa. Apparentley it can make you quite poorley for a few days!! So would like to avoid gettin it if possible!!!!

Is it the Goan food or simply a change in diet?? I have never experienced a upset tummy on any other holiday i have been on.. so is it just a case of being careful?

Any advice/tips on this topic would be much appreciated :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.