Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
delhi belly
128 Posts
Acidiphilus tablets.... I'm going to start taking these. I think maybe if you have had DB they might help???

Does anyone know if they are a help for IBS?
My tip for avoiding DB is to drink lassi every day, and I just love it anyway, that's how i got mt HT name.
If you are unfortunate and get it, try the BRAT diet-- it's the acronym for the diarrhoea diet!! Bananas, Rice, Apples (grated are most effective), Tea and Toast. Drink as much as you can, only use tablets that bung you up if you must travel.
Of course if you have severe pains and fever consult a Doctor for treatment.
Lassi, what is lassi :?: :?
Besides Chai, Lassi is one of the most popular drinks in India, it is made with curds or natural jogurt, and can be sweet, salty, or my favorites banana and mango.Have a look here- http://www.answers.com/topic/lassi or
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-sweet-lassi

I've never tried the Bhang version, but wish I had :roll:
WE have taken Acidophllus tablets on the last 2 hoidays to
Goa and Kerala ,had no problems my o/h always had a few
off days on previous holidays in Goa,we take the Holland &
Barrett chewable Strawberry & Blueberry,hope this helps.
look on the web they are often at half price.
Ann
I got food poisioning when i went in march the hotel was very good and called the dr as i was going to the toilet every 10 mins so couldnt even leave the hotel. He gave me some anti spasm pills and big yellow tableys and i was ok in a day, we ate every where and everything so was just a case of bad luck for me as my boyfriend was fine till he got home and a mozzie bite on his bum got infected he couldnt sit down for a week haha i shouldnt laugh.
We got advised to take pro biotic drinks everyday next time we go so we get good bacteria in us. :D
first stop when we arrive is the chemist to get "Yellow Bombs" & anti spasm tablets so if we do need them we are prepared, they cost pence & are miracle pills.
Maybe this topic should be a 'sticky'?

I know it might give an impression to new members that getting DB is inevitable in Goa but there has been information here that I wish I had known a few years ago when I got it for the first time.

I personally have had an upset stomach in many countries but nothing has matched the dreaded DB.

Better being prepared!

It's alarming that DB appears to be on the increase. I suppose the heat and the fact that more chicken is being eaten and will 'turn' in the heat as will seafood (probably more fresh).

I didn't hear too much about DB 5-6 years ago. But then again there are more tourists visiting now and more interstate travellers and workers.
That's a great tip, the OH suffered badly while we were there in November so when we go back in March next year we'll give it a try.
I personally have had an upset stomach in many countries but nothing has matched the dreaded DB.

Better being prepared!

It's alarming that DB appears to be on the increase. I suppose the heat and the fact that more chicken is being eaten and will 'turn' in the heat as will seafood (probably more fresh).

I didn't hear too much about DB 5-6 years ago. But then again there are more tourists visiting now and more interstate travellers and workers.

I have had worse once in Thailand it took months to get over it, but do you not think if you ate rich food every day accompanied with loads of alcohol that your stomach would react even at home? on top of this you are showering in bacteria ridden water, (keep you mouth shut!!)

I think the answer is do as much as you can to prevent it, If in doubt don't eat it, no ice unless you are certain its o.k, make sure your bottled water is sealed & "You" open it, alternate eating (we do spicy food one night non spicy the next) be prepared, visit the chemist before you need to so you are armed, look at the other preventions bacteria tablets or drinks,

After all holiday days are precious

Mids
"but do you not think if you ate rich food every day accompanied with loads of alcohol that your stomach would react even at home".

To be honest with you I don't eat lots of rich food in Goa. I eat a lot of fruit and have one course in the evening of rice, non creamy/oily curry (preferably veg) and roti. I don't care for fried food anyway (never eat fries at home or fried breakfast) and beer just bloats me, prefer a G&T or Honeybee. Have stayed in Goa for 6 weeks eating curry EVERY day and had no effect on my system. It's just in the last few years that I've been falling ill.

Maybe it's water in the pool or shower or from bank notes ???
Another contributing factor can be, and I'm not saying this is always the case, the heat and amount of time spent in the sun without taking in enough water, when visiting hot countries it's easy to forget that you need to drink plenty of water and it's very easy to become dehydrated and upset tummy is one of the side effects.

I sure one of the contributing factors in my OH being ill was him saying "yeah, yeah" everytime I told him he wasn't drinking enough water. After about a week the message started to sink in and he upped his water intake and continued for the rest of the holiday with no problems.
2 weeks in Kerala... no problems
3 weeks in Goa... everyone seemed to be suffering at some time or other.
Odd.
It would be interesting to find out the number of tourists in N Goa vs South Goa who get DB.
Been to South Goa 6 times and have never had DB :D
Been to north goa 3 times, and both my O/H and myself had DB when we went in Feb this year. :cry:
Went to South Goa in December last yr, neither I nor Mr Elliebee had one day of Delhi Belly.
It would be interesting to find out the number of tourists in N Goa vs South Goa who get DB.

Totally irrelevant - I get Dehli Belly if I go to London for a weekend. :shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.