General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I always look for day flights just the thought of being booted out of your room by 10am and hanging around clock watching the last day until late at night to get going home would annoy me. I wanted to go to Gran Canaria but the flight times from Birmingham were not good this year so didn't even bother looking.
i like flights which aren't interrupting my holiday, especially when booking for this year as i'm only going for a week rather than a fortnight! i was determined I wanted flights which left early morning so that we weren't losing a whole day of our week and i wanted a flight home about lunch time, and when they went on sale thats exactly how it happened :)

Although saying that TC will now write to me and tell me my flight times have been changed lol, i have that kinda luck!
Thomas Cook rang us today and told us our flights to Malta have been changed to 6am from Manchester Airport....this in itself is not too bad because we will be sorted and in Malta by 10am! We now have to spend the night before at Manchester Airport to check in at stupid o clock...the airport is a good 2 hour drive, maybe more from our house...

coming back, our flight now takes off at 11.30am....I am good with that too!
Flight time is very important to me now we have children as I can't think of anything worse than dragging them out of bed in the midddle of the night or hanging around the airport til the early hours on the way home. We have done it and if it was the only way to get there then we would do it again but I much prefer day flights. Morning going out and afternoon coming back is ideal.

I also wouldn't do a really long transfer with the children either.
Historically I haven't minded when my flights have been. I have always worked unsociable hours so have had days off mid week so could easily do flights any day of the week at any time without losing out by using up extra holiday allowance.

Now however, OH and I are 9-5ish weekday worker, therefore don't want to take any extra time off having to get to the Airport Friday tea time or miss Monday as flight is late back Sunday.

I therefore spent a bit more to get a 0920 flight to Corfu on a Saturday....perfect time for us as still a 2 hour drive so will have to leave home early. But we will get their mid afternoon and it will still be light when we have to negotiate our hire car from the airport up to Sidari.
I dont mind the very early flights....6am from manchester to Venice

At least when I arrive, 9am airport, and after checking in hotel 10 am I have the day to my self

So can head to beach, or get to know way round town
We rarely book package holidays and have been booking DIY for some time now. I tend not to book flights that mean arriving in the evening or at night as not only does it seem like a waste of a day's holiday but I always hire a car for the duration of every holiday so prefer not to have to find my way to the apartments in the dark. I also try and book weekend flights if there is not too much of a price premium as it saves me a precious days holiday over a Monday-Friday flight which I can use towards another holiday. As for the return flights, I prefer late morning or early afternoon flights but if the only choice is an evening flight, I just book an extra night when I book the accommodation to make the last day as stress-free as possible.
I won't do through the night or very early morning flights and have even changed airports to get decent flight times. We usually have morning flights going and late afternoon/evening flights on the return journey. The only exception to this was when we went to Florida last year and then we had to do an overnight flight on the return home (day flight going to Florida). The combination of jetlag and travelling left me feeling very ill on the plane and the journey home was a nightmare. Four hours from the airport at 5 in the morning was not good but we really didn't have any choice. As long as I have young children I will always try to get day flights and probably will keep doing this after the kids have eventually decided they don't want to come with us. Have been woken up many a time by grumpy kids going past my hotel room who have been woken up at stupid o'clock for a through the night return flight. Am quite happy to pay the extra to avoid this scenario.
We fly to Cyprus at 4.30 pm on the Sunday and flight back is on the Thursday at 1.30 am, as this year we are going for 10 days (it was only £80.00 more then 7 days but £450 less then 14 days!) So we actually get a full 10 days, I must admit though I think if we had small children we may have changed our minds, but my lads are 18 and don't want to come. Happy hols everyone..x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.