General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
madmadge wrote:
definately yes no matter what time we fly,its time to holiday.my holiday starts at the airport :cheers

Great minds and all that Mad Madge! :tup

My husband, my eldest son and I have a drink at the airport (only 2 max) regardless of the time, to celebrate the
start of our holiday. :cheers
just try it this once fiona lol mind you i never used to do it when the kids were small its only since they have grown up :cheers
There are a lot of things we wouldn't usually do at home early in the morning.....
but when our holiday starts, we do what suits us as a couple.
Regardless of the time - if it is a special occasion, we even order a bottle of champagne for the flight (tut tut)
- amazing how short the journey seems!
Hope to meet up with you one day at the airport madmadge and Milly Molly!
Sorry about that Shirley I misread your post - I thought you meant you certainly would not
enjoy a drink at the airport but after reading it again - you are very welcome to join us!!!
Thanks Sue,
I'll raise a glass to you in one of the bars in Gatwick at about 10am on 5th August :cheers
We check in at 5am on the 19th July for our flight to Krakaw. After a quick squiz around the duty free, we will head to the bar for a couple. I don't need an excuse, but I have one this time as on that day it will also be hubby's 40th birthday!!
Interesting thread! Don't have a drink before the flight but am rather partial to a brandy and lemonade when I'm on the plane (worked wonders for my nerves last year along with a couple of 'Calms' tablets!). Haven't done a really early flight for years but when we go in August our flight has been changed (Direct Holidays again!) to 5.50am :( ...so not sure if I'll be up for brandy that early...might have to settle for caffeine!
I'll be checking in at 5am Manchester on 29th June, then I will head for the bar for a cheeky one I think. Only it's terminal 1 and I really prefer terminal 2........
A little tip - if you are a little concerned about what people think about you
having a drink to celebrate the start of your holiday or to calm your nerves,
is go to an airport lounge - you don't have to queue for beverages etc and
you can help yourself to whatever you want without people judging you!
Especially good if the airport is busy and there are lots of flights going out early
in the morning - eg Easyjet.
It is so relaxing and well worth the money.
Suzie - you can add hubby & I to your meeting too unless we're there before you!! ;)
if you are a little concerned about what people think about you

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I wouldn't like to be judged by the fact that I enjoy a drink at the airport. :think There are far worse things to do.
I am Not paying for the privalage of sitting in a private lounge, I prefer to mingle, and like the buzz of having my glass of tipple, whilst waiting for what gate I am going from.. Il be in T3 august 9th at 3.30am, once duty free is done, straight to the bar I am heading. :cheers
I agree Kazza all the hustle and bustle of the airport is part of the holiday isn't it, so I won't be going to a separate airport lounge just because I enjoy a tipple, if someone wants to judge me for having a drinkie then all I can say is they must have very little else to concern themselves with.
Seems like there are several members who think the same way then?
Maybe we should arrange a hen weekend?

We used to like looking around the Duty Free but now the prices can be more than in the
shops back home - especially perfume.
Cigs and booze is cheaper on the plane so we don't bother looking around anymore.
I know what you mean about the buzz though, kazza and Miss Pink.
We have a tipple before we go on our flight as to us it is a nice start to our holiday. We usually go into a lounge because, although we do like the hustle and bustle of an airport, if there is a delay we can relax in the airport lounge. Provided the lounge isn't busy they will quite often let you stay in there longer than the 3 hours.

We too have noticed that perfumes are no cheaper than the high street, quite often you can find good ones in Tesco for much less than at the airport and also you can usually buy alcohol on the plane for less.

We just like to have a bit of a mooch about in the shops before we go and chill out in the lounge.
our flight has been changed (Direct Holidays again!) to 5.50am ...so not sure if I'll be up for brandy that early..

Go on give it a go. It tastes lovely at the airport, no matter what time of day :rofl ...and as for people looking down their noses :think Who gives a stuff? :rofl
Duty free is good for nice cosmetic sets that are often not available in the shops though - if you were after something along those lines.
I agree with you, sydney. We visit the lounge at Tenerife airport too -
mainly due to the need to compose ourselves after being charged
10 euros a kilo for excess baggage!
It also came in handy when we had a 7 hour delay flying out to Tenerife!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.