General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I don't drink before flying, but OH would'nt be able to get on a plane if he had'nt had at least one inside him before he boarded a plane, and it would'nt matter what time of day it was :rofl !!!.
He is terrified of flying and finds no better way to calm his nerves, men hey ;) !!!
Yep my fella petrified of flying, he has to have aleast jd and coke and a bottle of magners before he boards... mind you I dont have an excuse I just have a glass of wine..and then another on the plane, god I sound like I am an alchoholic :cheers
I used to have a brandy and lemonade no matter what time I flew - even though I'd get to resort, see someone having a beer at 10am and think 'eeww' :rofl

I don't bother now at the airport as I'm scared I'll need the loo :yikes But as soon as the drinks trolley comes round I'll have a drink or 2 :cheers
OH would'nt be able to get on a plane if he had'nt had at least one inside him before he boarded a plane, and it would'nt matter what time of day it was !!!.

I'm the same. I have to have a double brandy and lemonade, then I'm happy as Larry-no worries. Mind, the party we go with enjoy a drink at the airport anyway, as you said it's the start of the holiday. One time, they actually opened the bar for us at around 5-6am. We weren't the only ones there for long. As soon as people saw us being served, they all came in their dribs and drabs. I also like a drink on the outward flight but don't usually bother on the return as I'm all out of holiday mood by then :(
Cup of coffee is all I need in the early hours. I only have an alcoholic drink on the plane if the flight is short haul. On long haul flights I get very dehydrated and bloated and alcohol would probably make matters worse. I drink large amounts of water and juice during the flight. To go back to the original post I couldn't face alcohol in the early hours but we're all different, when I first came to live in Germany it took some getting used to seeing people at work having a beer with their breakfast. :cheers
Just a Starbucks at the airport for me - usually a lovely strong frappucino to put me back on my feet after the stress of packing, double-checking the packing, getting up early, worrying about locking up the house etc... By the time we board the plane I'll be wide awake and ready for the holiday and then I'll have a drink when they bring the trolley down the aisle, although I do think they're hideously overpriced on the plane, it starts off the holiday and it's nice to have something to take away the taste of the in-flight meal :lol:
We don't usually drink anything at the airport, but look forward to a G&T on the plane ;)

I think if people are flying long haul and their destination has a big time difference from UK, then an early drink here, might be lunchtime/cocktail hour/nightcap wherever you are flying off to, and your body clock is going to be turned upside down anyway.
Or if you have got up at silly o'clock to get to the airport, then by the time you've checked in etc., you feel like it's lunchtime.

I know what people mean about needing a drink before flying, too.
I hate flying...but I just LOVE holidays, so it's worth it for those few scary moments of take off and landing :tup
Guilty as charged. My holiday starts at the airport (or even before in some cases ;) ) so I'll have a pint or two regardless of what time it is.
It totally depends on my mood.

When we went to Vegas in November at 6am I couldn't look at the bar, but by 9am in Heathrow I had a small vodka.

My parents like to have at least one before they fly, they're guilty of being at the bar from 4-5am.

As acorncup said, you've been up for all hours your body thinks its ready anyway.

Helen
Starbucks or similar for me, also I don't drink alcohol on the plane, I normally have some of those little cans of 7up and/or Britvic Orange as I've read a lot of stuff about remaining hydrated on the plane and alcohol does the opposite to me. I still feel like my holiday has started though once I am at the airport regardless of if I have drunk alcohol or not. :cheers :sun2
large hazelnut latte for me and i only drink water on the plane. if i have alcohol i swell up like a balloon. my husband used to have a pint or two but he's not going with me this year and he's not allowed to drink any way. i'm due to arrive in resort at about 10am so still too early for me.
our holiday starts as soon as we are in departures, whatever time of day we have something to eat and a bevi [sometimes beer usualy rum]

yasus
Thanks guys, I agree, holiday starts for me in the taxi going to the airport, I look foward to my early morning bevvie in august, although going with bmi from Terminal 3 at manchester airport, it better have a bar, and a duty free shop!!! :) or else!! :tongue
I used to have adrink at whatever time I flew when I went on holidy with my friend but not now I have children, I wll have a glass of wine on the plane if it isn't too early though.

My holiday always starts when I leave work for the last day before we go :rofl
Hi all
We like to have a drink before we get on the plane It doesnt matter what time or how early
it is :D we, like to
get to the airport early and have lunch and a couple of beers :cheers
We make the airport day part of our holidays :sun2
Pat and smudger 2 :cheers
We make the airport day part of our holidays

Same here - Once the house door is locked, I'm in holiday mood. It doesn't matter what time we arrive at the airport we have something to eat & 2 or 3 drinks. We also have one on the plane.
Hubby will have a pint before we take off, and it doesnt matter what time of the day it is either. That beer represents the official start of his holiday :sun2 . Me on the other hand will only drink tea and then water on the plane. I get so nervous about take off that alcohol would have the opposite effect on me. Rather than relax me, I would end up even more hyper about flying and probably end up being sick which wouldnt get my holiday off to a good start so I refrain until we get to our final destination - then there is no stopping me :D .

Sarah :)
just coffee for me and usually i get a couple of bottles of water for the flight as i usually tend to go for early morning flights, once i get to hotel tho i go for a beer :cheers
its all part of being or going on holiday , close the front door , arrive at airport , and have a drink , and another , and another and another :cheers only joking , i do have a drink at the airport but only the 1 or 2 no more , until i get on the plane and then i might have another 1 or 2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.