Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I stayed there in May 2005. Loved it. Great hotel. I would have a search on the forum as I'm sure there was a thread on here.
Hi all,
I am urgently looking for some info on The Dreams resort Sharm,Anyone been there? Is it ok,are the pool areas ok?what is the food like?
any advise welcome.
Mel
Hi All,
Anyone returned recently?
Mel
Hello all hope you are all looking forward to your jollys.

We are going to dreams beach resort sharm in sept and would like your varied opinions if possible on this hotel. We normally go to turkey and love it but this year with our best friends had decided on Egypt which seems a good choice as they have been to Egypt before and loved it but not been to this particular hotel, the only thing I'm worrying about most is the dreaded sharm shuffle and am open to suggestions as to try and avoid us getting this as we have 1yrs, 2 x 13yrs and a 9yrs with us.

Any comments and advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Steve.
Hi I am convinced it is due to sitting in the sun all day, drinking ice cold drinks then going back into a very cold air con room. I dont put the air con on straight away and sip cold drinks. Avoid alcohol in the day and have avoided the trots. When we went on the Nile cruise everyone ate the same and there were loads that where ill and everyone of them had air con put on as soon as they went into their cabins and had it on all night. We were one of few that werent ill.

Nothin you take in the UK will shift it and in Egypt they will tell you to take antinal - research 1st though as not licensed in UK.

Must admit it cleared up my mates a treat. dont let the chemists rip you off you can buy a pack with re hydration tablets for 10le. Ask to see the price on the pack if they charge more.

We always eat out in the local cafes and go the the koshari takeaway, buy take away cooked chicken etc.

Be careful though with fruit and veg and make sure these have been washed and prepared in bottled water and not tap water which will make you ill as our bodies arent used to it. Ask if the ice has been made with bottled water too.
Have a great time.
:cheers Nana,

I suppose its common sense when you think about it - the ice in the drinks etc but its also the logical thing to do - putting the air con on and ice in the drinks when your trying to acclimatise yourself in a much more hotter country than where you have come from :rofl unfortunately us brits are not very well equipped.

My wife is also diabetic and on our first trip to Turkey became very ill, so, we are extra vigilant and if it can be avoided (the sharm shuffle) we will do our very best to do so. We are expecting to get the trots, through change of diet, oils and sun but hopefully nothing on the scale of what i have been reading up on.

Anyways, thanks for you input, much appreciated.

:wave:

Steve
I personally think it is the food. Everybody experiences the same type of change in temperature and air c o n, but not eveybody gets the Sharm Shuffle, so there must be somekind of variable factor. To me the only thing that varies is what people eat and drink.

Loads of people who never touch alcohol get the Sharm Shuffle and people who drink often don't get it. :que

If you end up in your hotel room whereby you cannot be within a few feet of a toilet without vomitting & suffering from chronic diorhea for over 24 hours, being hot one min, cold the next & horendous griping pains in your stomach it is going to be some kind of food posioning, salmonella, ecoli etc

If you come back to the UK with it take a sample to the Docs, they will send it to the lab and then you will be able to take the correct anitbiotic to treat it. Not sure about antinal it's not licenced for use in the UK, but if I was desperate I would chance it rather than wasting 2K on a holiday spent in my room.

Regarding what you can do to stop getting it in the first place. You can ensure all the food you eat is pipeing hot (bit difficult with a buffet though, although many have show cooking), use antibac gel, try not to swallow swimming pool water, make sure you have all your jabs, the Hep A one apparently also gives some kind of general boost to the immune system so my GP told me.

I've been three times and always had ice in my drinks, the only time I had a slightly odd stomach was an hour or so after eating a fresh cream meringue that was the last one on a plate at lunch (couldn't resist it) :oops: . On reflection I should have just given it a swerve as it had probably been there for an age. Didn't eat dessert for the rest of the holiday. :( But was OK, no squits. :tup

I think the more adventourous you are with food the more likely you are to come unstuck which is a shame as many adults like to try new foods on holiday.

My DD who tends to eat Margarita Pizza, Pasta, Chips, bread and drinks loads of 7up or bottled water is always fine abroad.
We are a family of 5 and been to Egypt twice now and none of us have ever suffered. There was 9 of us last year and again, we were all fine. (I can actually talk myself into being ill) :duh

We always get the acidophilus from Holland and Barrett 2 weeks before we travel and whilst we're there. Drink the pro-biotic drinks a couple of weeks before hand too. Maybe just coincidence that we've never been ill, but I'll keep doing it.

We always have the alcogel with us and use it all the time.

Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy your holidays, Egypt is a wonderful country.

Emma
hi all,
changing subject slightly, me and the family have been to egypt twice before and were thinking of booking to go to dreams beach resort next march, been quoted a good price on net, would like to know any good / bad points about hotel and what time the all inclusive drinks stops at night as i cannot find it anywhere.
any info appreciated
tracy
Hi Tracey,
We were there last August and had a lovely time Wine stops at 10pm and the bars stop A/I at midnight,But I am sure the lobby bar which is nice to sit around is A/I all night.
You can also use the Dreams vacation hotel for everything, there is a little tuk tuk that you can catch a lift off or it is a nice 5-10 min walk. we went there often there is the most fantastic mexican and asia house you do have to pay a little extra but I cannt stress enough how lovely they are especially for a birthday or special event if you make them aware of it they really go out of there way to make your night special.
This hotel is for everyone if I could pick a fault it would be:-
An awful hike down to the beach in blazing hot heat in the middle of August!!!BUT I WAS AWARE OF THIS WHEN WE BOOKED IT.
Mel
thanks for the speedy reply mel
going for my 40th mext march, been to coral sea and holiday village and both hols were great. did you have a chance to go snorkelling as hubby and 2 lads loved it last year, can you use all inclusive facilities at sister hotel and some reports say that the rooms looked a bit tired and could do with a lick of paint, and is there a bus that runs into naama bay from hotel at night.
thanks again
tracy
Hi Tracey,
We have also been to the coral sea resort,We had lovely holidays at both!I think the facilities,entertainment and extra restraunts at Dreams Beach made a nice change.Yes you can use the A/I at the Vacation Really it is one huge complex (probebly 4 coral seas together)It is very pretty with beautiful gardens,lots of flowers.There is a nice bedowin area looking over the sea it was lovely to drink there at night.The sea is like I said down a hill but beautiful,the reef there is wonderful there are 3 or 4 wooden jetties slightly in the water and the fish even swim over them.The rooms were fine they were huge and easily slept 2 adults and 2 children maybe a little worne but very clean.For your 40 try a special night at the mexican or Asia house we were very impressed with both.My hubby doesnt like mexican but it wasn`t a problem he got a huge steak instead just let them know.
If you liked the CSR you will really like this hotel.Any more questions just ask,I always do.
Mel
Sorry Tracey yes there is a bus into naama bay,we got a taxi think it was £3.00.The new Mercanto shopping mall is also a 2 min taxi or 20 min walk,Nice for a walk out though very modern designer shops.There are restraunts and a Macdonalds who will even deliver to hotel if you go to reception and ask them to order it for you,Though we never tried this lots of people did.If your boys like kids food chicken nuggets chips etc there is a childrens buffet in the far corner of the main restraunt,Mine fell in love with pizzas and pasta.
Mel
hi

going to dreams beach resort in august ,first time visit to egypt cant wait, any tips regarding this hotel

thanks
ps this is also my first time using one of these sites.
:wave: welcome aboard cheryln, can't give you any information on your hotel but wanted to say hi, we have got loads of useful info from this site so i am sure someone will help you, we are off to egypt for our 3rd visit this august very hot but beats all this rain and have found if we drink lots of sprite and keep air conditioning off or very low touch wood we have so far not suffered with the bad stomachs that tend to happen in summer. Have a great time when and where are you flying from?
hi

thanks for your reply i am flying from glasgow
HI, Is the name of your hotel - Dreams Beach resort or has it got another name. The reason I ask is that we're going to Dreams La Romana next week and I'm a member of the Dreams discussion forum. There are a number of their hotels listed here but I can't see one for Egypt. Maybe it's just the Caribbean resorts that are listed.

Is it one of the large Dreams chain?
hi
the hotel is dreams beach and has a sister hotel dreams vacation it is in sharm el sheik
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.