Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks for the replies. I have just looked on the east midlands web site and it says that it is illegal to have lighters in your hand luggage.
I flew from EMA 3 weeks ago.
I was unsure about the lighter situation, so we took a small box of safety matches that went through the scanner in my handbag....no problem.
I was asked if I had any lighters, to which the answer was no.

We were told 1 lighter only and to be on your person for the return journey from Alicante.

There is absolutely no where to smoke now in EMA, they have got rid of the glass enclosure which was at the far end of the departure lounge....
I only wish I'd known this before, as I wouldn't have been in too much of a hurry after checking in my cases to go through the normal procedure.
I'd have gone back outside the front entrance and joined all the others having a fix. :wink:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I'm flying from EMA a week on Sunday and am looking for more info on the aiport. I can see from the website that they have a Pizza Hut - is this High Street price like the Burger King at BHX or is it extortionatley priced liked the Wetherspoons at BHX?

Just trying to plan how to spend the 3 hrs odd we have in the airport!!!
like most airports, everything is more expensive when you get through to departures.

Wetherspoons at Edinburgh was particularly criminal - £1.99 for a small bottle of mineral water. Pur-lease.

Still, its all part of the holiday. a couple of pints before you go starts it off!
is anyone flying from east mids this weekend , i am . i have just heard on local radio that the download festival is at donnington park so allow extra time for getting into the airport.

oops i am going to turkey though.
we flew from East Midlands a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning and it was a great experience, quietish, good atmosphere, not too many flights etc.

We are flying tomorrow morning (Monday) again from East Midlands and I'm trying to find out in advance what the departures are for the morning. I know I can see what is happening today but I'm more interested in tomorrow.

Any ideas where I can look to get this info - hopefully in one hit rather than trawling around the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
All I can suggest is to go here :- http://www.eastmidlandsairport.com/cms/8/arrivals-departures.html and look later in the day when tomorrow's departures should start appearing.
Trisantona,

Thanks - I guess its the only way. Will check it out this evening.

Chris
Hi TFS1 - we flew out of EMA on Monday 6th Aug and it was by far the best 'airport experience' we've had, dont get me wrong it was busy but there was no shortage of seating and no long queues in any of the stores etc ... there were loads of kids about (inc ours) but i expect that will have reduced as the schools are back very soon.
Tomorrow morning's departures are now starting to show up on the EMA web-site.
thanks - got there in the end. I can sleep easier now ! (well - until 0500!)

Chris
Used EMA last week.

If you are a smoker do not rely on getting something to eat because all the restaurants are after security where there is not a smoking area.
I would have thought that all of the inside space at the airport is now a non-smoking zone.
Carol,
If there were restaurants/cafes before security there wouldn't be any smoking areas there either, as you cannot smoke in enclosed public areas now.
I think there is some misusnderstanding here.

I know you cannot smoke in enclosed spaces but in Departures you can still go outside to smoke. After you go through Security there is no outside space.
That situation is usual in most airports. I can't think of any airport that allows you to go outside once you are through security and are "air-side"
East Midlands Airport is currently closed following a mid air collision between two light aircraft around 12pm 16 December 2007.

All inbound flights are currently being diverted to either Birmingham or Manchester Airports.

One aircraft landed safely at EMA the other landed in a field in Staffordshire and there are believed to be fatalities.

Passengers should contact EMA on 0871 919 9000

Van
I have to say that I hate East Midlands Airport. I usually travel from Gatwick, and though busy, is at least well served with amenities.

Recently I flew from EMA to Tenerife, and what a hole it is. The queue for security was a nightmare and when we got through into the departures area, it was absolutely packed, with no-where to sit. The prices at the bar/restaurant was a complete rip off and the selection of shops very poor. come on EMA you can do better than that......
Hi as anyone been in the VIP area at East Mid Airport? we are flying to Turkey in june and thought it would be a nice treat, can get it for £16 through the airport web can you get deals anywhere or is this a good price?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.