Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi there

I've always parked with Airparks which I think is just passed carpark 7. I'm fairly certain the shuttle bus is 24 hours, and leaves every 20 mins. I've never had to wait very long. Last time (march 08) I landed about 11.30pm when we had all the high winds across the UK. Various flights were delayed etc.. but the driver seemed to know exactly which ones were due in, even though they were later than scheduled and waited until all of us were on the bus. I usually book it through purpleparking.com. The staff have always been helpful and pleasant and my car has always been reasonably close to the reception when picking it up.
Does anyone know if the Thomsons check-in desks are manned all the time or do they only open for each new flight. We are due to fly out 10am`ish but like to be at the airport early, would hate to think we would just be standing waiting if they only open 3 hours before the flight time.
Please can anyone help?
Thanks xx
Just returned from Sharm via East Midlands, apart from the drive home which was a bit hard after the flight, it was less hasstle than Mancester. We parked on Car Park 3 and were in the terminal within a few minutes. Would definitely travel from here again if the price was better than Manchester.
I know it's not going to happen for a couple of years, but it's just been announced that Donnington Park is to host the F1 British Grand-Prix from 2010 and for the following ten years. This could have repercussions for people travelling to and from EMA. This already happens when the circuit hosts motor-bike races and rock concerts. Lets hope that some money is spent on improving road links in the area so that airport passengers are not adversely affected by this event.
I spent an hour and half in traffic off the M1 the other sunday trying to get to the airport because of super bikes :( hope they do improve the roads.
Couldn't agree more. My first thought when I heard the announcement was you wouldn't be able to get near the airport :( . They need to do some serious planning to make sure there aren't major problems.
Louise
I totally agree with the previous comments.
We have been frequent travellers from South Yorkshire down the M1 to junction 24 to EMA and when there's a problem on the M1, you are stuck and just have to "sit it out" because by the time you get to another junction, and are able to get off the motorway and then do the detour...what is just over a 1 hour journey for us, can turn into 2 hours or more.

Coming back 2 weeks ago, my taxi driver said the same thing, he was a little late meeting us and explained that a lorry had jack-knifed causing severe hold-ups.
Whilst it stops us going over the Pennines into Lancashire (Manchester) there is really only one way to EMA...at the moment.
TBH: I'm getting fed up of the journey and although we have only flown from Doncaster once, which was a disaster having to be taken down to Coventry and we said that we would never fly from Doncaster again.....I'm looking at Doncaster for the future...already got one flight booked from there...Xmas.

I think the baggage handlers at EMA must be the worst in the country...always ages before they load them on the carousel, and they kept us nearly 30 mins sat on the plane after landing waiting for steps because we were early and they weren't expecting us....Well, that was the excuse given.!

My brother took his lad to EMA last week for a flight to Tenerife and coming back there was an accident, he managed to get off the motorway after crawling to the next junction, some were using the hard shoulder when they saw the sign post for the exit.
He switch on the sat nav and programmed it to get back to Rotherham....he ended up in Chesterfield and then found his own way back to Sheffield and then Rotherham.....when he went over the M1 and looked down...it was chocca block.! :roll: It took him 2 ½ hours to get home.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiii
acorns8
Book with BCP using promo code bp850, and you can park on airport, car park7 for £38.82 for a week and you should be within walking distance of the terminal. Much better than being miles away!

Edit: You need the transfer bus. Takes about 5 mins.
  • Edited by cazB 2008-07-28 11:34:29
We flew from EMA last Saturday and had considered booking carpark 7 as it was cheapest, but we were arriving at the airport at 04:30 and we weren't sure how frequent the transfers were so we booked with Airparks as we'd used them before for early morning departures.

We went past carpark 7 on the transfer bus and it seemed miles away from the terminal, we certainly wouldn't have thought it was within walking distance - and we've just spent 3 days walking around Dublin!
Sorry,must have been thinking of the mid-stay carpark.
there is now a smoking area when you go through passport control,its situated near the bar area at the back,its outside with a wire fence round it. i for one am really greatfull for them doing this,dont dread the airport bit when i go on hols anymore in case of delays,well done eastmids!
Thanks for that info, friends are flying from there soon, they will be delighted.
Are there any hotels/travel lodges near to EMA? My daughter (7) and I fly back from Turkey at silly o'clock in the morning so it would be a problem getting a friend to pick us up at that sort of time, plus my daughter will be so tired that I don't fancy the hour or so drive home then either - so thought a cheapy hotel might be an option?

Any ideas please?
does anyone know a website get this hotel at discount its on site east midland airport
Anyone going from EMA this weekend please be aware that the world Superbikes are on at donnington fri/sat/sun
likely to be very busy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.