Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I have never heard of anyone haggling for the price of food or drink, and I lived in Turkey :really It certainly isn't the norm. Sometimes you will get a discount if you go somewhere a few times or maybe a free drink or bottle of wine but I wouldn't advise haggling at the door.

In Bitez I would recommend Sultan, Poyraz and Mart Kediler.

We always use cash as I think it works out expensive to use credit cards.

Kedi
Got to agree with Kedi, we never haggle in a restaurant although we are often treated to free bread, fruit or a bottle of wine. A lot of the restaurants (on the Bodrum peninsula at least) have their prices displayed outside. I would definitely use cash - credit cards work out expensive.

If you like Chinese food (although they do have other food on offer as well), I can highly recommend Salmakis - Fera (the owner) is great and the food is fantastic.

For a change it would be nice to nip into Gumbet(a very short taxi ride away) and try Seray Zetas (fantastic authentic Turkish food), Chinatown (what a selection!) and Cheers/Mascot (good for just a drink as well).

JAKKI
I wouldn't say that I haggle at restaurants but I always ask what the price of the wine is before I go in and try to get the doorman/ tout to agree to a free drink or sometimes I have even been able to get a free bottle of wine.
I used to able to have free wine almost every night at the Blue Moon in Bitez when Tommy was on the door. Not haggling, more of a bit of cheek!!
If the restaurants are quiet the doormen will often offer free deserts/coffee to get you in.
never haggled over price of food though

Lots of good places in Bitez but I was dissapointed with Red Dragon and Daphnes.
There is one little restaurant on the street corner as you leave Bitez from the back road that doesn't look much and is in a fairly bad place (street corner with some traffic) that was really good for turkish food. Sorry can't remember ever seeing a name on it. The dolmus stops just outside it, the first stop as you come from Bodrum.
Thanks a lot guys for the info. :thanks That's reassured me........so the moral of the story is to be a bit cheeky??!
& thanks for the recommendations. Especially on 1st couple of nights before we 'find our feet' around a new destination it's really helpful to have the name of a few recommended places to look out for.
[If anyone else wants to add to the list please do! :cheers ]
I think that little restaurant is just called the Small restaurant, at least that is what someone told me.
Kedi, you are probably correct.
i doubt that it has a "touristy" type of name.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.