Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thats why I let my hubby handle the money in Egypt. :rofl
He has no sense of smell and totally immune to germs. :yikes
Even the native boat boys tell us they don't like thier dirty money...
now you lot have got to be taking the Michael - aren't you :que
It must be quite a revelation on them there live boards when you hand over a tip for good service Val :rofl :rofl :rofl
Helen, tis all true me chuck..

Why don't you ask a friendly native...

also, have you noticed they don't have coins...can you imagine stashing coins???
One tug of the arm and it would be like a bandit machine.... :rofl

As for the boat boys..the crew on the liveaboards do very very well out of the divers. I got chatting to one of the chef assistants and he was telling me that he makes more in tips etc than his brother does in a month and his brother is a Dr in Cairo.

With Blue O2..we are told there is a minimum tip that each diver must leave in English £. This is then shared out between the crew. There is then a separate envelope for tips for the dive guides. There are 2 dive guides on board for 26 divers on a full boat. There are usually 10 crew...and they work so hard and keep the boat spotless. There is a certain pride amongst the boat boys as to who has the cleanest boat. I was also told that most of the crews want to get the dream job on the British boats as they are the friendliest people and the most generous tippers...but they have to have high standards of work to get the jobs.

Their money would be safe left in thier rooms on the boat as we are out at sea..but as soon as we hit land...it is squirreled away and they are gone gone gone!
:yikes Every year I moan to hubby, because he insists on looking after the money - something about it not being safe with me - I did once give a taxi driver a £27 tip for a £3 journey :really I've just told him that I've realised that he's right, and this year he can handle it all :rofl Of course, I haven't shown him this thread!!
Yep, mobiles work out there...but try and check for costs as it can prove to be quite expensive.

we found out at sea that coverage is very limited.
thanks it'll be just for an ocasional text, as I need to kep in contact with home.
You will be fine with the occasional text. As soon as you switch the phone back on in the airport (well that is what I do..whilst collecting the luggage) your phone should automatically update you to the new network..

Enjoy....and watch out for the ladies in the loos asking you for coins or wanting you to change coins..or even trying to sell you a miniscule square of loo roll for a £...they did try and stamp it out but there are still a few around...
:sun2
Be careful taking a smart phone abroad. Have read horrendous tales of people being charged thousands for data usage (charge is capped in Europe). Far safer to take a cheap and cheerful phone and transfer sim card.
If taking a smart phone ensure you turn Data Roaming off to ensure you don't get any nasty surprises, if possible try and use a free Wi-Fi location.

If you are an O2customer that has had their contract for a while you may still be able to send free texts by sending the text as a MMS, or to put it simply send your message with a picture attached.
I'm home after a fabulous week . Just trying to catch up and will give my feelings later .Really pleased to see things getting busier over the week . I felt quite upset when we first arrived . All those lovely Egyptian people just looked like they had been totally floored by the downturn in visitors . it was lovely to see their smiling faces and hope return over the week as occupancy levels returned over easter,.

Surfice to say as most of us knew there is absolutely no other difference there and no indication at all of the trouble in the middle east. Sharm is exactly as it has always been .

The tiny little roped off area for snorkellers on that fabulous house reef at the hilton broke my heart as well. There are bits of paper to sign now and another band to wear thats shows you read and agreed to the Terms if you get in the water . Heavy fines now too if you re caught feeding fish .
Welcome back Lyn, sounds as though you really enjoyed your well needed break. Hope to hear more about your holiday when you have time.
welcome back Lyn..hope you had a good time and that the diving was good for Dave and the lads...
Yep several days spent on my own but I'm used to that now . They did Tiran , some local stuff (white knight , ras Bob etc) and the thistlegorm again .

I've gone into my usual lazy state that I seem to do every time we return from holiday . dozing on the sofa , cases still standing in the hallway, still in my pj's . My some reason I still seem to think I'm lying on a sunbed. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.