Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Gemma,

sorry to put a downer on your preparations but we have flown many times with Emirates.

On two occasions on early morning landings into dubai we have been delayed because of fog.Modern aircraft can deal perfectly well with fog but the regulations mean the seperation between landing flights is doubled.

On one occasion we missed our connection and had to catch the next days flight.They put us in a hotel.

The next time we had chosen a longer connection which allowed us plenty of time.

Hope you will be o.k.

we now try to avoid short connections or early morning dubai landings.Maybe we have just been unlucky.

Papa
Thanks Papa, great to know. I understand totally what you mean. I am a bit wary about short time for connections as well. I would rather go for the more expensive flight then be stranded somewhere for a day or hours on end.
Still looking about just now.
All the information is very helpful tho :tup
Rumours are rife that Emirates are to announce they'll be operating an Airbus A380 between Dubia and Manchester commencing January 2010. I'd better get saving!

Darren
Hi

I'm flying Manchester to Bangkok, via Dubai outbound on the 3rd Oct, returning 17th Oct.

Flights are -

Man-Dub EK020
Dub-Bangkok EK372

Bangkok-Dub EK385
Dub-Man EK017

Think we're going to book online. Just a couple of things.

- What aircraft type(s) can we expect - looks like 777-300ER on each leg
- Any recomendations for seat selection, when we do check-in online?
- Will the ICE IFE be installed on these aircraft
- Are loads good on these flights at this time of year?

Thanks in advance

Nick
nickarcher,

Your flights from MAN-DXB are indeed operated by Boeing 777-300/ER's. DXB-BKK (EK372) are operated by the mighty Airbus A380-800 (although you don't say what dates you are travelling). EK385 is a 777-300/ER. Seating is personal preference. ICE is available on those aircraft and we can't comment on load factors, reasons here.

Darren
Thanks

Will try and have a look on seat-guru to see what they recommend!
If there are only two of you the last few rows at the rear of the aircraft are configured 2-4-2 avoiding sitting next to anyone if you get the two together

Papa
Does anyone know how long it takes to fly from Heathrow to Dubai and from Dubai to Mauritus .Thankyou
anstruther,

LHR-DXB: 6 hours 55 minutes (Boeing 777-31H/ER - 3421 miles)
DXB-MRU: 6 hours 30 minutes (Boeing 777-31H/ER - 3144 miles)

Darren
Thanks a lot Darren,not sure yet if that will be the type of plane used as it is a Costa cruise that I have booked,maybe they will charter a plane, its not while March but whenever I receive exact details (all I know is that its Emirates) I will forward them to you for your help once again.as the last time you knewthe times before the cruise line could tell me.
Just had 4 sector with emirates all routing via Dubai. Not overly impressed with service or safety aspects where passengers were not challenfged or told to get back into their seats despite seat belt signs being on. Food was average (yes most of it could be eaten) and leg room fine on all flights. Most annoyed about the 001 into Heathrow this morning though which ended up as a 777 ER (with really poor Business Class Config andno flat bed) as the A380 was technical.......

Nivsy
Emirates profit surges a whopping 165 percent

DUBAI - Emirates has produced a set of half-year financial results that will be the envy of many other international airlines.

Emirates airline produced a net profit of Dhs 752 million (US$205 million), for the first six months of its current financial year ending September 30,2009.

Emirates said the figure represents a 165 percent improvement compared to US$77 million net profits for the same period in 2008.

"¨"¨Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, chairman and chief executive, Emirates airline and Group said, "The months since the global meltdown have really tested our mettle.

"Unlike others in the industry, Emirates did not cut back on its product, service or people.

"Instead, we invested in these areas and looked to our people to develop ever more innovative ways to manage costs, improve efficiencies, reallocate resources, and drive alternative strategies for the business."

"¨"¨In the first-half of its financial year 2009-10, Emirates said it posted strong business growth, both in terms of capacity on offer and traffic carried compared to the corresponding period in 2008, "a performance that has been in stark contrast to the current trend seen across the aviation industry".

Capacity measured in Available Seat Kilometers (ASKM), grew by 22 percent, whilst passenger traffic carried measured in Revenue Passenger Kilometers (RPKM) was up 21 percent with Passenger Seat Factor sustained at a high level, averaging 77.5 percent, slightly down compared to 78.3 percent for last year.

"¨"¨Sheikh Ahmed added, "While some say the green shoots of economy recovery are sprouting, we expect it will take at least another year or two, before demand for air transport and travel services starts picking up again.

"In the meantime, Emirates is well-placed to weather the rest of the storm."

FOOTNOTE: In its latest industry snapshot, the International Air Transport Association said it expected airlines to lose $11 billion on a net basis in 2009 and warned that with jet fuel prices on the rise, cash flows would be under pressure.

With permission from Travelmole
Got the flight times
12.03.2010 EK0002 LHR-DXB 13.45
13.O3.2010 EK3703 DXB-MRU 03.05

27.03.2010 EK3704 MRU-DXB 22.25
28.03.2010 EK0001 DXB-LHR 07.45

Anyone know the type of plane used.
Thankyou
anstruther,

If your travel agent or website did not include the aircraft type an easy way to find out now you have your flight numbers is to log on to emirates website and do a flight search for your dates.

When the corresponding flight numbers appear the aircraft type will be along side it.

Typically on longhaul EK use Boeing 777 and Airbus A330 aircraft.However they now have some 380s.

One of the things that really annoy me about Emirates(and I have flown them many times) is the fact that they squeeze 10 seats across their 777.They are amongst only a very few airlines who do this, most opting for a 9 across layout.

This makes for a narrow seat and a pretty uncomfortable experience.

Having said that their latest IFE system is now mostly rolled out across the fleet and is pretty amazing and the food and service is usually pretty good.

Papa
anstruther,

LHR-DXB; EK0002: Airbus A380-800
DXB-MRU; EK3703: Boeing 777-300/ER

MRU-DXB; EK3704: Boeing 777-300/ER
DXB-LHR; EK0001: Airbus A380-800

Darren
Thankyou Darren and Papa for the useful information.
I am flying to Perth Australia with Emirates a week today, and dreading it. my last flight with them( all 4 legs of it) were :swear . The service was diabolical, easy jet was better. The only reason I am flying with them again, is finances, Singapore Airlines were too expensive. Seat Guru suggested that one of the very back seats would be good for me travelling alone, as the format goes from 3 to 2 seats at the back? Apparantly,they put couples in them last few rows, and people travelling alone in those seats, are more likely to have the 2 seats to themselves unless the flight is full. Can anyone tell me, on debarking, is it just the front doors that are open, meaning I will have to wait untill the whole plane is off before I am off it? Nightmare! I am worried now about getting lost at the new terminal,with just a couple of hours to spare.
Has anyone recently travelled from Manchester to dubai with Emirates?
Thanks in advance,
Debbi.
You won't get lost in the new terminal it merge's into the old one. We fly emirates all the time, off to Goa tomorrow on the airmile's and alway's book the seat's at the back more room.
Just make sure you know your gate number for the next flight.They usually put it on the screens at the end of the flight but it can change.The reason I say this is with the new terminal open the distaces involved are vast so make sure you do not wander too far.

Emirates have a policy now of closing the gate 35 minutes before the flight although I am not sure how strictly they adhere to it.

Re your comments over cramped planes Emirates squeeze ten across the aisle of their 777s which is outrageous.Maybe you may be on one of the new 380s.

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.