Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Yes, I too am so disappointed that they have reduced flights going into Varna. Who knows though - the situation might change again in the near future. Living in hope!
we were told by bulgarians that the government wanted the flights going into Bourgas as they had a say or ownership in the hotels
Is there any more news on hotel closures in Albena. We have booked to go here and have been so looking forward to it, would hate to think we may get cancelled?
Hi Sarah,

I haven't seen anything concrete so far - there are reports in the press of general price reductions in the coastal resorts in response to an anticipated reduction in tourist numbers, e.g. this Novinite report.

At least one Albena hotel (the ДРУЖÐ'А/Druzhba) will be opening later than originally planned again this year - Tonyt (who had booked the Druzhba) has been relocated to the Dobrudzha in late May/early June.

Baldur

<Edit> I've just noticed that you have booked the Gergana in high season - you shouldn't have any problem, as the Gergana complex consists of three hotels (formerly known as the Albena Beach Club and, before that, the Gergana, Mura & Slavuna). Closure of all three is extremely unlikely unless something cataclysmic happens between now and July/August.
morh wrote:
Yes, I too am so disappointed that they have reduced flights going into Varna. Who knows though - the situation might change again in the near future. Living in hope!

We live in Ayrshire west coast of Scotland & are having to fly from Newcastle to get to the Varna area ....we love Bulgaria & Varna but I'm afraid we won't travel any further than Newcastle for flights ...so if it stops flying to Varna so will we :(
Theres is no doubt we would have booked several holidays to Golden Sands if better flights were available for us. I know lots of families and friends who love Golden Sands but go on holiday elsewhere because local flights are not available into Varna.

Grrr! Why of why does the website still let you think you can fly from Scotland into Varna then they add the little addendum saying landing at Bourgas with a 2+ hrs coach transfer. A friend of mine said it took them 3 hrs!! Obviously it depends on where you are booked into and who gets dropped off first.

Newcastle "might" be an option but a wee bit reluctant to book because of their reputation of changing times (I am not just talking about a couple of hours)...... But oh I miss not going... I just love the resort. For many years I have been a huge fan of Balkan .... but now am wary.

For all of you going out to the resort this summer have a great time and I look forward rto reading some reviews on hows things are.
An update of the Hotel situation in Albena. I have found some Hotels will only be open for 7 weeks, now the big news, which has been confirmed to me by e-mail is.
A couple of years ago the "Mura" and "Slavuna" became known as "Albena Beach Club" last year they joined with Gergana and was then known as the Gergana complex. Well it has all reverted back to three Hotels under different Managers and Companies, thus we now have "Mura", "Slavuna" and " Gergana". will give you an update on situation when there in 3 weeks. Tonyt
The strength of the British Pound against (or the lack of it) the Euro will make it more expensive..Turkey is still cheap as it is not yet linked to the Euro yet. :que . Along with the fewer flights to Varna Golden Sands and Albena are bound to suffer.. :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.