Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Fine Dining
53 Posts
OOO its lovely in there! Been there twice now ;)
lassigirl

We usually go to Fiesta at least two or three times when we go for three weeks.

The food we always find to be very good - It's a little expensive (by Goa standard prices) but the surroundings are really lovely. The best way I can describe it is it's a bit like sitting in a tiered garden. Tables well spaced - not on top of one another. Couple of nice lounge areas where you can sit and have a drink on lovely comfy settees before and after you've eaten. I wouldn't say the food is any better than any number of shacks or "cheaper" restaurants that we use but it really is a lovely setting. It usually costs us (for two) abut 2000 - 2500 rupees for starters and a main including drinks.

Well worth a try in my opinion.

xx
Fiesta can be good - but it's not consistent and the menu is a bit "touristy."
If you can get a table on the verandah, then it's a nice experience.
However, I can't equate sitting in the dark with my feet in sand with fine dining.

I would recommend Le Restaurant Francais, but they've closed that to concentrate on La Plage up at Morjim.

So what's left?
After Seven, lost their way for a wee while, but we think that they're back on track now.
I95, great when they started, but they seem to have become a bit too pompous, and the food is overly fussy.
Poisson Rouge, we enjoyed, but some think it's too French.
Le Bistro, very cosmopolitan menu and they do a good steak.
The Mermaid, good food and service, but plastic chairs - so doesn't quite meet your "fine dining" criteria.
Bomras, is Burmese and one of our favourites.
Casa Monalita, simple menu, cooked well, in a lovely setting on the verandah of a Portuguese style villa.
Souyman's Kitchen, the food is good, but we don't like the setting.

I know there are lots more but I hate sitting eating a nice meal with the one I love, with buses and lorries thundering past creating dust and noise pollution. :duh
Really like Fiesta. Didnt go last season and only for one reason. Its far too dark inside. I dont know if its improved but its hard to see anything or find your way about once in there.
No complaints about the food and drinks, very nice indeed.
Lassigirl are you going to North Goa this visit?
Many Thanks everyone,
Just one more question, Is Fiesta or any of the others Max suggested, open for lunch ?
Gemma I will be staying down south, but as usual doing a lot of bobbing about, here there and anywhere :) So lunch could be a better option than dinner.
xx lassi
http://www.fiestagoa.com/index.htm#end

This is their webpage Lassi. If you click on the CONTACT link it gives you their email address. I am sure if you contact them they will advise you of their opening hours.

Been speaking to my OH about Fiesta and we are going to go back in Novmeber, its a little while since we've been there :)
Fiesta is a hit and miss and I heard that the couple that owned had split up and it has gone down hill. As previously mentioned, Le Restuarant is excellent, but didnt realise they had closed it for good, if they have La Plage during the day is great. Travel Bar is nice and does some nice fine dining type food. I wasnt impressed with After 7, but a lot on here receommend it. There is a new Taj restaurant in Panjim opened, looks very nice but cant remember the name.
I don't know if this is too far out but there are a couple of restaurants in Sinquerium that are worth a try. Shivers, opposite the Kingfisher Villa, a few yards down a little side road. Every body, including me who has been there loves it. Also, Oceans 11 is a brand new restaurant that I believe is opening very soon. It is opposite the church in Sinquerium and people I know are saying they have spent "much money" on the decor and feel and trhe rumours are they have a varied and good menu to go with.
The new Taj is called Vivanta
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2009_2nd/May09_Vivanta.html

Just go towards Miramar Beach from Panjim - it is not far out of town - before the Marriot

Different people - different restaurants again. Friends always had a good meal at Shivers so one Sunday we went along with them and all of us were disappointed.
We usually go there a couple of times every year. lovely food ,love the ambience.
Like max said, Le restaurant francais used to be our favorite place to go, is closed now, and this might sound contradictory, but i'm not surprised. it did go downhill in my opinion. they started giving very small portions and charging rather more. personally, i think this had more to do with it closing than concentrating on the Le Plage, a glorified beach shack at Mandrem.
BOB.
It looks like Fiesta is in the lead, will remember to have my little torch with me, as I've struggled so often in the past trying to read menus by candle light.
Could also pop into the new Taj Hotel, to see what it's like, as there are a couple of shops I like to go to, on the Miramar road. Up to now the poshest I've done in Panjim was the Sher- e -Punjab.
Thanks everyone lassi
We also love Casa Portugese and go at least once every year. Nice and romantic with Franscisco coming around and singing Pourtugese folk songs with his guitar. Also very good food. One of those places you need a torch as well.
The Fiesta can be a bit hit and miss - last time we went it was disappointing but we've had some good meals in the past. It didn't used to be open at lunchtimes.

For food, I'd go with Soumyen's kitchen. Food and service are excellent but the ambience of the place does lack the "wow" factor!
Youre right there Roma, Souymens Kitchen is up there with the very best in North Goa (infact probably all of Goa). Is Fiesta still very dark inside, thats the only thing that put me off the place :que
Brenliz, where is Casa Portugese. I like the sound of it. Ive seen it in passing, but cant place it at the moment.
Gemma it is on the main road in front of where East Meets West was. Jenny from East Meets West rented the garden from Franscisco who owns Casa Portugese. The restaurant is his old family home. You will get on well with him Gemma, he loves football. He runs a football club for the orphan boys and we take him things out for the boys. He knows us well so if you go, say hello from Brenda & Liz. We will see him in December.
:tup Think I know exactly where you mean Brenliz. Is is a white, kind of high building from the outside :think Will definitely pay him a visit, like the sound of it and I will say hello for you :D
You do go up some steps to it. There is a car park in front and then lots of bushes trees in front of it. The house/restaurant itself is not really that visible from the main road, just the sign. Although having said that it is always dark when I go! You will love it, I can recommend the peppered steak and the paella not to mention the banana flambe with home made ice cream, although they can't quite get it that we want the ice cream on the same dish as the flambe and usually bring it in 2 dishes and look on bemused while we turn it into one dish.
Just one other thing about Fiesta. it is best to book a table, as it quite busy at times. you can go in mst times of day to do this.
BOB.
We have gone to Fiesta quite a lot of times and never booked but we have gone after 8.30 pm. Maybe earlier you would have to book. It has always been quite busy when we have been in there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.