Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
hi Charlotte and welcome to our forum. If I were you I would prebook accomodation. It will be a very busy period then. However, others who have gone out at that time will be better to give out advice.
Hi Charlotte :wave:

I would try and sort out your accommodation before you go, Christmas is a really busy time and you will find most of the hotels are getting booked up very quickly now.

Don't worry about the food most places do vegetarian dishes so you shouldn't have any problems, hope you enjoy Goa, it's very addictive. we are in Candolim from the 14th till the 28th of December and it will be our 12th visit in 8 years.

Debs
I have been in Goa for the last 5 Christmas/New Years, and have found that it gets very busy around New Year when the domestic tourists arrive. Also there don't seem to be many Russians around till then as they celebrate their Christmas later than us. I'm not advising not pre-booking , but I doubt that it will be very busy arriving on 12th , not a bad idea to contact some hotels now for quotes
Good Luck x lassi
I always go in December, last year it was very expensive just for my little room, and I wouldn't have got that if I didn't pre-book! This year I'm going package as it's cheaper. The Mumbai crowd are also there at this time, and they don't seem to be short of cash!!!!
Hi Charlotte Hope you enjoy it, sure you will, it does get very busy as everyone is saying ... but as Lassi says 12th is still a little bit before christmas however most places get booked for the christmas week (at mega prices!!) so as you are there till 26th might be worth thinking about? might be safer, but who knows it can all change!!
chilly ;)
Wouldn't want to advise on the pre-booking. We've been there without booking anything and it does give you great flexibility and the ability to haggle on the spot. However, that wasn't on 12 December and as everyone says, Christmas will be very, very busy and you may end up somewhere a bit grotty. Peace of mind has a value and it may be worth getting something booked.

Don't worry about the veggie food. I'm vegetarian and the food is a highlight of the holiday. I've never holidayed anywhere where the veggie food is as good as Goa - virtually all restaurants have a vegetarian section on the menu, and some restaurants are exclusively vegetarian. Sure, a lot of it is spicy but there's plenty that isn't, and you can wean yourself onto various curries as you progress. Staff are very helpful and will explain dishes and degrees of spicyness.

Have a good look at the restaurant recommendation thread as it develops this season (and take a look at last years). Worth a try in Candolim are Soulyman's Kitchen, After Seven, Flambe, Roma (Italian) and there is a purely vegetarian cafe/restaurant in the centre of Calangute called the Plantain Leaf, which I like. It's very Indian and you'd have to be careful what you order to keep the spice under control! Also, definitely worth a visit is Bean Me Up - a brilliant purely vegetarian restaurant in lovely garden surroundings in Anjuna. Think about lunch there after a trip round the weekly Anjuna market.

Have a great time, whatever! :tup
Thanks everyone for your advice - I've been talking to my boyfriend's parents and they're going to look into booking in advance just in case! Also thank you for the advice on the food, didn't realise Goa was so vegetarian friendly, brilliant!! I'm really looking forward to my holiday now, so excited!
Although Goa has a catholic majority population, there are a lot of Hindus living within the state.
Hindus are required by the Dharmic Law or Ahinsa, to be vegetarians. Non injury is the Hindu's first duty in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

So you will find lots and lots of veggie food in India. :tup
True lots of excellent vegetarian food in Goa , but the majority of the population are not Catholic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Goa

x lassi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.