Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Olu Deniz sounds perfect for you. it is a central spot to stay, to see all the sites. there is so much to see and do in the immediate area, but within 2 hours drive, you can see most of turkeys most visited tourist attractions.

the scenery at Olu Deniz, Hisaronu and Ovacik are stunning. The resort has many restaurants and bars, but it is quite low key, and cosmopolitian not at all in your face.

Im sure others will suggest other resorts, go to the resort reports at the top of the page for more information to help you decide.
Sue :)
Happy Holidays
If your prepared to travel that far in miles then really the choice is all yours, If it was me I would use anywhere near Bodrum, I like you normally hire a car on Holiday, But as this is your first time can I suggest you use the Tours/Buses as I know the Roads and signs very well and they are very very hard to understand in Turkey, The roads are good the users are not so good, lol, and if your thinking about taking Sat nav dont as it is a waste of time and only will give you details of Major cities.
Rwb,

However can you say that Turkish road signs are hard to understand? They are exremely straightforward and easy to understand! I've driven all over and have never had any difficulty understanding Turkish road signs.

Cubegame,

You haven't really said what type of things you're interested in seeing: is it towns, countryside, coastal regions,history, ruins? Depending on what interests you would make a difference where you should be based. If you're just after a driving holiday, why not just book a car for two weeks and stop off at B&B's? You'll always find a room for the night (especially at that time of year).

As you know, Turkey is a huge country, so you'd need to have some idea of which route to take. As a suggestion, you could fly to Izmir and then drive down the west coast along the Aegean, and then head east along the Mediterranean coastline.

Hope that helps.

Strawberry
Lets put strawb to the test here. What do these mean in english.
Dur.
sağa dön.
sola don.
tek yön.
park yapılmaz.
And these are just signs with letters nothing else.
I know that 'dur' means stop! Can I claim my prize now? :D
Hi Rwb,

I don't think Cubebox implied that he may have difficulty in understanding the road signs :oops: - he was just asking for suggestions as to where to go sightseeing!

Driving in Turkey is very straighforward; and the route signs are very easy to follow. I have never got lost when driving in Turkey. :o

As for understanding the highway code signs - that applies to any foreign country you visit. But some of the road signs in Turkey are self-explanatory, and have pictures on that most people would understand whether they can understand Turkish or not.

As you've had so much difficulty understanding the signs,Rwb, have you considered asking the car hire company for a map; one that gives English translations of the Turkish hughway code? :D

In answer to the test you've set me:

Dur means STOP (often has a picture of an upheld hand :) )
Saga Don means Turn Right (often has an arrow pointing to the right :D )
Sola Don means Turn Left (often has an arrow pointing to the lest :D )
Rek Yon (often has one thick arrow pointing in one direction :D )
Park Yapilmaz means No Parking (often has a pic of a car with a X :D )

I have one for you now: what does Dikkat mean? (clue: :yikes )

Strawberry
Didnt need a clue m8, Attention.
Thanks for the responses so far. Neither of us are worried about driving as we have plenty of experience in driving abroad and are both pretty unflappable.

I'll wait for the told you so's though if we manage to bump it! (touch wood) :)
Dont worry about yourself cubegame im sure all will be fine, It's other road users you need to worry about.
So why do youtake the risk then, Rwb? Why don't youtake the coach? After all, you've admitted you can't understand the road signs! That's not very safe is it? :shock:

Strawberry
Firstly I do take the coach, When I leave the Airport for my destanation that is, Im thinking of the Person thats's perhaps hiring a car for the 1st time in Turkey, I have the Uk advanced test behind me also, That should take care of your own personal query Strawberry, At the end of the day you were as aprehensive as anyone else when you first went on Turkish roads.
Well, everyone hiring a car in Turkey for the first time faces the same dilemma, surely? Just like you did!

And according to you, it isn't YOUR driving that worries you - it's other people's; which rather makes your advanced driving skills useless.

Strawberry
Hi can you hire scooters in Turkey and if so how much per day?
Thanks
Yes you can but you must have a license, Shop around as they all charge different prices.
Thanks for that rwb46, I take it you mean an international driving licence. My partner drives bikes at home.
Same license you would need in the Uk to drive a 125cc bike, Anormal Uk driving license is perfect.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.