Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Sarah,

we have stayed at silver sands twice and love it! fantastic location right next to the beach, superior rooms are great, loads of restaurants and bars on beach road without being toooooo packed out. sounds a good choice for what you want. do not book a taxi transfer via tour operator - overpriced! you can easily get a taxi on arrival at the airport - it cost 750rp (i think) to Candolim - just over £10. also we never bother with premium seats on 1st choice as the economy ones are really good and spacious enough (although we are only 5'6 & 5' 8 respectively)

im sure you will get loads of replies - have fun!
Hi Sarah

I love Candolim/Calangute and we (like yourselves) are not into the nightclub scene anymore - there are loads of lovely places to eat along the strip between the two places. I think the price you have is really expensive though - I am going over Christmas and New Year (flying premium) with Thomas Cook for two weeks and paying far less than you have been quoted.

Shop around - maybe as its your first time a package deal is best - but if you fall in love with the place - and I bet you will! - you can then try the "diy" option. I usually do flight only - its only because TC worked out so reasonable that I decided on package.

Excursions - I loved the houseboat trip (booked with Johns Boat Tours - located in Candolim) but, trust me, on your first day you will have the services of a taxi driver and they will be at your beck and call regarding trips. We went to Ashwem beach and stayed in a beach hut overnight whice was gorgeous. A trip to Mapusa Market (not on a Friday as this is the package tours day and prices reflect this) - a more touristy market is Anjuna.

Hope this helps

Jo x
Thank you both :)
I will not bother with the taxi transfer through the tour operator then -thanks for the tip.

I will also try and shop around for a package price. Apart from First Choice, which are good tour operators to use for Goa?
We booked Silver Sands for January 2011 a couple of weeks ago, we booked through Barclaycard travel, the package is with Olympic Holidays & roughly £1850 for 14 nights staying in a bungalow, with premium flights. Deposit was only £100 too.
Thomas Cook are ok if they are using their own plane, this year they cancelled their Gatwick Saturday flight and used the Monarch flight. You will find most other operators use Monarch, so unless you're happy to travel with them it's best to check.

We travelled First Choice for the first time this year and upgraded, it was very nice but is very expensive compared to TC's prices.
I am really struggling to find a better price. We can go on ANY dates in Jan/Feb. Preferably for 10/11 days - but we really want to stay at that hotel.
Thanks for the tip re Barclaycard Travel. I can get a deal for £1,400 although I have no idea from looking online if that is with premium seats (my husband insists on them!). So I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.
We booked online then rang them up & upgraded to premium.
Ah - brilliant! Thanks Boro-Craig. Who do Olympic fly with?
Why is nothing ever easy? Barclaycard travel only do 7 or 14 nights. I need 10 or 11 :rofl

Typical. I will phone them anyway.

The search continues!
My best advice for what it is worth.

Do not book the taxi transfers with the tour operator it is hideously expensive.As others have said about 750 rps from the booth at the airport.

Others may disagree but wild horses would not drag me onto a Monarch flight.

We fly with Thomson/First Choice from Manchester.Now the same company sharing aircraft.Lots of info on the Flight only section about these planes but here is my opinion.

Standard seats 33 inch pitch which is more than any scheduled airline.

Premium seats 36 inch pitch drinks included better IFE if it works properly and at the moment they are having big problems which should be sorted by next season.

We always hang back until the premium seats come down to about £159 each but it is a gamble as they may sell out.

To be honest if it was not for my OH I think the standard seats would do me fine.

Lots of people now go scheduled either via Mumbai or Qatar now have 4 flights a week connecting through Doha.

Loads of accomodation options so do not be scared to do a bit of research and go independent.

Papa
Thanks Papa. I have only ever flown with Monarch once. Never again!!! We have flown with First Choice dozens of times now and for long haul, my other half insists on the premium seats. I looked at getting just flights and booking accomodation directly, but the flights alone still came to £1,700! That said, I have no idea how much the accomodation would be. It might be dirt cheap and save me a couple of hundred pounds so I'll look into that.

Definitely will not be booking the tour operator taxi transfer. We never do for Turkey - a local taxi firm is far cheaper!

Added by edit: I've checked out booking that hotel with On The Beach. It's £380 for the two of us. So no cheaper booking direct than going through First Choice. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay!
Have you tried getting a price directly from the hotel? I lurk in the Holiday Complaints forum now and again and On The Beach seem to have a terrible reputation.
Thanks for all the advice folks. I have now booked the holiday :cheers

2nd Feb 11 for 10 nights at the Silver Sands in Candolim. Flying with First Choice Premium Economy (anyone got any ideas how long in advance we can select our seats?)

We are arranging our own taxi transfer.

I am very very very excited!
glad you got it sorted, did you book with First Choice? Goa is just so magical, we always stay in Candolim and Silver Sands is right by the beach too
Yes we went with First Choice in the end. I realise that we may have paid over the odds for it - but it seemed the best option.

The Silver Sands has really excellent reviews so I am very much looking foward to going! Any tips on the hotel?
Been to Goa twice, first time stayed in Arpora 3 star hotel, great time and all well, second time stayed in 5* at Bogmallo beach and it was hell, sickness outbreak which almost killed 90% of the guests.
Still lost some weight but choose your hotel /location very wisely as it may be the end of your vacation sooner than you think :yikes
The holiday we are looking at on First Choice comes to £2,150 for two of us for 11 nights.

Sounds expensive to me.

Have you tried somewhere like Icelolly.com?

Fritz
Too late Fritz, I've booked it now :)
I am happy with the price. I realise it's probably expensive, but I got exactly what I wanted so it's worth it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.