Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
hello, zante is still good weather in spetember, we went to alikanas and loved it, although tsilivi down the coast has better water sports etc. alikanas is very ''coupley'' especially once the kids are back at their desks, lots of nice places to eat and smaller, initimate apartment complexes, but not really much history. rhodes is a good option too, alot further south so almost perfect weather til end of october, loads of history around lindos and rhodes town and some very pretty beaches. we are going to pefkos on september 5th after loads of recommendations, we go for the same type of holiday that you describe, but the agents always suggest malia and faliraki! i'm not even 30 yet, but god knows what i would look like these days with a fish bowl cocktail under my arm and a ''slappers on tour'' t-shirt on my sun-burnt back...
I think you would like Rhodes as it has a lot of history, We stayed in Ixia end of september begining of October and had perfect weather. Ixia is'nt the prettiest resort but it's great for windsurfing as there is a nice breeze. the beach is pebbles but sandy when you get in.
The resort is near to rhodes town where it is vey historical with the old town within the castle walls.
Lindos has a very nice sandy beach which is calmer so better for snorkling and has a very quaint village.
We have also been to Corfu which has a lovely old town,
Zante nice beaches not much History,
Kefalonia quiet lovely beaches not much history as it was hit by an earthquake in the 50's same as Zante.
Kos was one of my favorites steeped in history with good beaches. We are going back in October.
Think you may like Kefalonia, a little pricey, steep in history, Magnificant scenery, very friendly people, try not to choose a very tourist area, like Scarla or Lassie if you want it quiet, Lixori is wonderful but not many brochures go there any more, Thompson do some deals to the La Cite Hotel which is basic and fairly central to the main town.
Koutoulafari on Crete would be OK for you. Not far from the Knossos palace, on the outskirts of Hersonissos, a bus ride from Ag Nik, Elounda and Spinalonga, or shopping in Heraklion.

That's the first week taken care of.

Second choice would be Rhodes where there is just as much to see.

Third, possibly Cyprus if that's within budget, but as far south as possible to avoid rain which IS unlikely.
As Parky suggests Crete would suit as would Kefalonia (Agia Efimia - no english pubs in sight, good snorkelling, there's a dive centre and boat hire) or Rhodes (Lindos - cobbled streets which are traffic free and lovely roof-top restaurants)
Thanks for your suggestions, I've stocked up on guide books and am now trawling the internet for accommodation! Has anyone got a suggestion for websites to book holidays from? I'm looking at the main websites but they keep coming up with the same things which aren't inspiring me (malia, more faliraki!).
Hi have you tried Latedeals.co.uk or also eclipsedirect.co.uk are quite good. Expedia might also be worth a try.
Try the Greece Direct website.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.