Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Pippa, Yes are lifts - not the biggest but do operate. Enough to get trollies in as well.

Nivsy
I thought there probably were - I suspect she just didn't see them. She has only flown from Gatwick once before and that was the North Terminal and we took her and met her on return. She usually flies from Norwich airport but a lot of flights have been pulled from there. I think she found Gatwick a little daunting!

Pippa
yep regardless of age it can be quite daunting especially when not used to it and as you say the walk even from the gates to terminal etc can be exhausting even for "us" younger people!

Nivsy
Whilst walking is not a problem for her normally I will definately make sure she asks for assistance next time.

She also forgot she had a bottle of juice in her hand luggage when going through security on her way out to Malta. She remembered to put other itmes in a plastic bag but just forgot the juice. Apparently a form with all her details had to be filled in because of it and (in her words) she is now a 'security risk'. Does this happen to everyone who forgets that they have liquids in their hand luggage?

Pippa
Not as far as I aware - but then Gatwick security has come in for a whole lot of criticism of late for its lack of rationale -and he new airport owners are already trying to sort out some of the security criticism - I would imagine your mother would have been given some form of receipt for the form that was filled in.....

Nivsy
if someone has a liquid over 100mls it is just confiscated, if forms were to be filled out everytime this happened you would need to set up a whole army of administration workers! it might have been explained that it was being confiscated because it might be a security risk?
They have wheelie bin loads of confiscated items every day it runs in to tonnes and tonnes over the year. The rationale can only be dictated by the rules that are set down.
The new owners are addressing many improvements they want to make , including a new supersize central search area with 22 gates, and have also appointed a new head of security who previously worked for the DfT , which should be a good move seeing that the DfT set the security rules and carry out inspections to see that all airports comply.

I'm sure that if your mother asks for assistance for getting to/from gates on the "golf buggys" it would be better for her, because some of the gates are a fair good walk, i sometimes think we must be flying from Redhill after some of the hikes!
Can anybody confirm if the sofitel has tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, cant see no mention of it on thier site.

many thanks
gc
gc I am sure that it does have tea and coffee making facilities even the Travel Lodge has those.
Thanks David,

Thought it must have otherwise I'm sure I would have seen a few rants on here, after all, we all like our tea/coffee in the mornings.

All the best
gc
Hi gc, the sofitel definitely has tea/coffee facilities in their rooms.
Anyone know of a promo code to enter which will allow discounted parking near the airport?

Not flying until beginning of Oct, so plenty of time to sort this.

Cheers, all.

:tup
HI, Not sure of any codes but would have thought if you booked it this far in advance it would be very cheap anyway.Also I use BCP car parking and they keep sending me e-mails for 10% off parking,so if you browse their website they might send you one. Hope this helps Maggie
anyone know if next weeks planned rail strike will affect the gatwick express service?

thanks
As the strike is being called by Network Rail staff then I would expect it to effect all the train companies - if the track safety staff and the signallers are on strike then the trains aren't going anywhere regardless of which company runs them.

SM
Parking/ bed and breakfast

hello anybody got a recomindations for a cheap b &b with parking? or hotel with parking or just parking?
Hi,

We are off to the Dominican Republic in May & want to stay at Gatwick! Can anyone advise us of where best to stay? We have priced up the Hilton & Marriott.....
Any advise greatfully received...

Dx :sun2
The Courtyard by Marriott is fairly new, located near to the South terminal and sometimes has good prices. The Hilton, attached to South terminal is one you have mentioned, convenient but often expensive. You could have a look at the Sofitel which is attached to the North terminal, again you pay for the convenience.

I'd avoid the Mercure, Best Western, Russ Hill, and the Holiday Inn at Povey Cross, or book remembering the rate might reflect the tiredness of the hotel.

Premier Inn have a few hotels in the Gatwick area. A cheap room rate off sets the taxi fare to the airport.
Far better than large hotels (and often cheaper) are the local b&b's.

Take a look at this site which lists many of them. http://www.gatwick-guesthouses.co.uk

Highly recommended are Trumbles, Ambers, Gable End & Cumberland House. All of these have great reviews on Trip Advisor.
They all offer parking (on site) and transfers. You also get breakfast which is extra in the large hotels.

We have stayed at Trumbles and Ambers (both very good) and are staying at Cumberland House in September. My mum used Gable End which she said was lovely.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.