Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi all - I hope someone can help.

I am due to fly from Inverness to Gatwick arriving at 9.00am. I then have to collect my luggage and check-in (no through ticket) to fly with Air Transat (Canadian Affairs) to Toronto - the flight departure time is 12.00pm. All at South Terminal.

My questions that I would really appreciate help with are:
- is 3 hours enough time to get my bags, check-in, get through security and to the gate?
- does anyone know what zone the Air Transat check-ins are located?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated (I am travelling with a 3yr old so that adds extra stress)

Ru
Ruadh,

Welcome onboard :tup
3 hours should be plenty, especially if you don't need to transit terminals. Just make sure you collect your bags, check-in and go through security straight away just in case of any delays. Which zone should be displayed on the screen when you enter the check-in area.

Darren
Thank you for your welcome and reply, Darren. Will get bags, to check-in and through security as quickly as possible - thanks for the reassurance that it is possible.

I take it that Air Transat doesn't have a dedicated check-in zone? I had hoped to figure out where I was going beforehand (using the terminal maps). Gatwick seems rather daunting after being used to Inverness (which is tiny) and Glasgow lol

Ru
Flying out on Tuesday 21st September (06:20) with Thomson to Pula from North Terminal.

As we are staying in a b&b at Gatwick the night before we could do the day before check in. Is it worth it bearing in mind we will have to pay to park whilst we check in? We have our seats booked and will be at the airport at 4am anyway.

Is the North Terminal likely to be very busy at that time of the morning and is there likely to be a long queue at the Thomson check in desks?

Pippa
Pippa,

Personally, I've never seen the point in day before check-in. The time you save by not having to check-in on the morning of the flight is more than off-set by having to go the day before, plus you don't have your luggage and have to think about hand luggage restrictions, ie change of clothes, toiletries etc. The airport shouldn't be too bad at 4am. Further etails are on Thomsons website.

Darren
Thanks Darren - that is what I was thinking too. The car stays at the b&b so we will have an overnight bag which can then be left in the car so that wouldn't be a problem.

Even if we were to check in the day before I would still want to be at the airport early to allow for any queues at security so probably not much point!

Pippa
Has anyone ever used easyparkingsite.co.uk for meet and greet? Thier prices are so low I worry :rofl I have read thier reviews but I rather hear it from a HTer thanks
If something looks to good to be true it usually is search on Google for some Gatwick parking providers and take a look at the testimonial pages. A lot of companies will be selling the same car parks at the same prices. But cancellation charges and ammendment policies will differ so do some research
Can you give me some good hotels that are close to gatwick airport that offer parking at a good rate, that are nice and quiet and do good food.
Amanada.
Gatwick Worth is a decent hotel with a leisure centre next door. It has a decent restaurant for evening meal, as well as doing bar snacks and it does a nice breakfast.
http://www.gatwickworthhotel.co.uk/ There's a nice little village 5 mins away by taxi, as well
Amanda we've stayed at that hotel. It's in a nice quiet spot and has clean rooms with a nice bar area with outside seating (where we enjoyed a lovely glass or two of wine lol) and a small restaurant with good food. As Helen said, you can use the facilities of the pool and gym next door (at a small charge) and the airport shuttle doesn't take long to get you there.
Amanda,

Far better particularly if you want a quiet hotel is to go for one of the b&b's in the area. Breakfast is nearly always included (if an early flight then it will be help yourself continental) parking is on site and most include transfers to and from the airport - usually their own car - no waiting for the hotel buses. With all this included they will usually work out much cheaper than a big impersonal hotel.

Look at the general site - http://www.gatwick-guesthouses.co.uk

From personal experience I can recommend Trumbles although it is a little further away but very, very quiet. Ambers where we stayed in January and Cumberland House where we will be staying an a couple of weeks are both a very short walk from a highly recommended pub - The Six Bells in Horley. Take a look at Trip Advisor where you will find plenty of good reviews for all of these.

If you want any more info then please ask.

Pippa
Undercover hotels will be the cheapest option, you dont know where your booking until you have booked the only thing you will know is the star of the hotel
Got a room yesterday at Gatwick Travelodge for £9.00 i think thats brill never used them before but my friends have and they recommend it for a short stay )overnight)...
The travelodge at Gatwick gets some very bad reviews - particularly regarding cleanliness. You also have to pay to park, pay for transfers and no breakfast is included.

For us - no competition - a b & b every time. Our stay at Cumberland House in a couple of weeks is costing us £80 for a double room with breakfast, parking for the car for the week and transfers to and from the airport. Super value.

Pippa
This is the first time we will be using a hotel/travelodge before a flight but believe me if its dirty :yikes they'll know about it from me whether its cheap or not . :reallyWe dont do beakfast so that dont make any difference to us and we dont need transfers we have our own car..Parking is free IF your disabled but £5 for 24 hrs if your not..
Can anyone advise on the cheapest way to book a room at the Hilton? So far their own website seems cheapest :que
Amanda

We use the Mercure which is always pretty reasonable in price & despite being quite large is quiet inside as all the corridors are carpeted. Ok it's not a designer boutique hotel but it's for one night only.

Pippa is right about one thing. Ye Olde Six Bells at Horley is a great place to eat instead of the hotel. We park up, check in, slowly walk over from the Mercure, which is about 5 minutes & have a good meal, nice bottle of wine and have a really relaxed start to our holiday. Simples!! ïÅÂ

One point worth looking at is that some of the hotels are now offering cheap taxi drop off & pick up when you book online. In June it was £5 from the Mercure to the North Terminal which would compare with £6 for 2 of us on the bus & there are a number of different options on the various booking websites.

Pete
does anybody have any recommendations for secure parking at Gatwick?

Not going till June, but i'd rather have recommendations to browse through before then.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.