Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: On site airport Parking at Gatwick North Terminal

As per the above, am looking for a car park whereby I am able to park the car myself without being moved for the duration of my holiday, and do not need to hand my keys over.

I believe there is a Long Stay car park opposite the Sofitel Hotel but unsure which company it is. Can anybody advise along with EMail address or telephone number?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Pat
Why don't you just park in the Long stay car park on the airport, if you want to retain your keys.
Hi Pat, if you go to gatwickairport.com they have the parking options at the north terminal on there, there is the short stay linked to the terminal which is covered and can be booked for a minimum of two days plus , but this costs more than twice as much as the long stay where there is a bus transfer which takes about 5 mins, with both car parks you retain your keys.
Some of the other parking near the terminal is staff car parking .
Anyone planning on using Gatwick Express (or Southern local services) trains, especially from the airport to London should be aware of major engineering work at London Victoria underground station see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/Victoria-escalator-work.pdf . If you arrive London during the evening rush hour and need to use the Underground it may be worth considering using Southern to London Bridge or First Capital Connect to Farringdon or St Pancras (but not Blackfriars because the underground station there is also closed for most of this year). St Pancras is across the road from Kings Cross and about 10 minutes walk from Euston. But seek advice about tickets if using FCC as the Blackfriars to St Pancas section is classed as Zone 1 underground and your ticket needs to be valid for that before you get on.
I am booked into the no! lounge for a flight leaving at 9am. Is the breakfast any good? Will I be getting value for money or would I have been better off saving my "spends" for something else?
hi, we have a very early fight with Thomson in July. I believe we can do day beore check in. Am guessing we can just stick the car in the short stay car park. Does anyone know how ar this is to the check in desks at North Term? I have never parked on site before
thanks
Hi Rachael, Yes you can do DBCI with Thomson at LGW , it's only about a 2 min walk from the car park to the check-in desks, you get a ticket as you drive in and pay at a meter before getting in your car and exiting , it is expensive even if you are only in there for 30 mins , i had to pick up my sister and parked in there and it was over £7 for just over an hour.
i assume you are staying nearby overnight. We have used DBCI and usually book Sofitel or Premier Inn , we then use on-site longterm parking get the transfer bus to the terminal do the check-in and then walk to hotel , we've even used the Hilton as its easy to transfer via the monorail, and then in the morning we only have to walk to the security area/departure lounge.
Hope this helps.
thanks so much Andy66, thats really helpful. We have a 7am flight so the short stay parking however expensive will be worth it for an extra few minutes in bed. We are staying at the Ibis which we have stayed at before, cheap and cheerful! Thanks again.
Hi Rachael, just to let you know that the thomson check-in is in zone A , also the short term car park to avoid is car park 6 on the ground floor , it is a drop off zone but if you are there for more than 10 mins the prices shoot up (perhaps that was the one i parked in!!) .
We have a 6.40 flight in a couple of weeks with Thomson , but as we're only 40 mins away we will leave home at about 2.30 , which is alright for the wife as she does that every work-day and is used to being awake at such an unearthly time , for me i will be in non talkative mode til about 7am which is the normal time for my body to be awake.
Enjoy your hol.
Thanks for that extra info- super helpful.
Have a great holiday when you go and thanks again
Hi

im flying on wednesday and i need to pick my tickets up from the airport, does anyone know where the olympic holidays desk is so that i dont have to look for ages at the airport
Hi, we are looking to book a hotel on the airport, we are flying from the north terminal and have looked at the Sofitel but have now noticed that the south terminal has the Hilton, which is cheaper, has anyone stayed here recently, I understand the transfer from south to north is easily done via the monorail.
Also has anyone had a late check out time or know how much is charged for this, we would like to check out around 2pm ish
Hi Trod, the monorail transfer is easy its about 2 mins max between terminals. The Hilton is fine , there are newer rooms in a new wing which are nice but a bit of a walk away, the original rooms are acceptable but a bit more dated although they are better situated for the restaurants and bar etc.
The latest check out time is 12 midday , although on their website they state that if you ask at reception on arrival for a late check out they will try to accomodate your request, another 2 hours shouldn't really be a problem .
Another point is that their breakfast is really good , everything available and great quality. i don't know if you have a BB package but its worth it , they also do BB plus evening meal package if you need something to eat the night you're staying ,bear in mind the room service menu is expensive and there is not so much choice of restaurants in terminals before security. You can go to http://www.gatwickairport.com to view restaurants before security , we had a meal at giraffe last time and also there is a mini marks and spencers to buy snacks and drinks.
hope this helps
Thank you Andy, very helpfull :tup considering it's around £30 cheaper we will go for it, Thank you again.
HI :que
I was wondering whether it would be possible to order sun cream and toiletries online with Boots and pick them up at the Boots branch in departures after security (they do offer this at normal stores I think)? This would help me with my weight allowance I think .... but would this cause a problem getting on the airplane having another bag?
What do people think.....?
Cheers
Kitty :sun2
rainbowskyes76,

I don't know about the Boots question, but they sell those items in the airside store so you might not need to order them online for pick-up. With regards to bags and weight, it depends who you are flying with as some airlines enforce the one bag rule and weight strictly, with checks at the boarding gate. For example, Ryanair.

Darren
Thank you for your reply Darren. We are flying with Thomas Cook and do not know what their policy is regarding this.
cheers
Some friends of ours flew out of Gatwick earlier this week and let me know that the Terminal transit/shuttles was not working and a bus service was in force.

We are flying out of Gatwick on Sunday and are staying at the marriot on Saturday night and we wanted to walk to the South Terminal and catch the shuttles over to the North Terminal on Sunday morning. Does any one know it the shuttles is back up and running as yet.

Thanks

Gooner
Hi gooner, i think there was a problem with the transit when we arrived back at the north on 15th june as the bus service was running then , it was still out of action on sunday 19th , but was definitely working on monday and tuesday 20/21 when my wife was last in work , she's been off last few days though. She will back on shift 1st day on sunday, have a good flight
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.