Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
It'll certainly be hot in July - high 30 - low 40s at least. Even the sea temperature can be high 20s. But the air will be dry so it's much more bearable, not like a sauna. Drink plenty of water or soft drinks during the day. Use the shade particularly for the kids, and high factor sun creams (30+ perhaps 50 for small children, you'll still get a great tan from the time you do spend in the sun). A cap or sunhat can help avoid problems no end. We've seen people with very small children take a little tent for them to play in. Finally, of course, make good use of the pools and sea to cool off.

With a little care to avoid sunstroke and dehydration the heat is fine.
I'm also going to Sharm at the end of July, same time of year as I went in 2005.

It was very hot but as Alan says, not humid, so not at all like a sauna :wink: So long as the pool, sea and some shade are close by you shouldn't find it too hot.

Pippy :D
Yes it will be very hot but the type of heat is very comfortable due to the dryness.
Regarding the children just ensure plenty of water but not icy cold, dont have your air-con too cold in the room as this can have an adverse effect
on the body and of course t-shirts to cover up and sun block for the kids.
Please dont worry as it is a wonderful place to have a holiday :)
Sorry about the ??? ! god knows where they came from, i meant air-con.
Aah i think i know what is happening :roll: air conditioning :?
Yup Phyll, C O N is interpreted as a potential problem, you may be slandering someone so it gets excluded...

Dashed clever little website, what!
Hi Lardy, I do concur with the " dont have the air c*n set too cold" idea. I have suffered in the past from doing it and it is not worth the discomfort.
Hi Lardylegs, if you follow the advice given by the folks here you should have no problems in the heat. We were there at the end of June last year and saw quite a few small children who seemed to cope ok. If you want to be particularly active choose early or late in the day and you could always follow the Spanish lead and take a siesta... I don't know how old your children are but I know that mine benefitted from afternoon naps when they were small. Both sand and poolside surfaces can get very hot so take flipflops/sandals for all the family.

However, you may find that next time (when you go to Egypt most people - my husband excepted - can't wait to get back so there is always a next time) you choose a slightly cooler time to go....

Relax, look forward to your hols and enjoy!
Worth mentioning that if it is very hot and you are loosing body fluid don't just drink water alone, you are also better to drink some of the sports style drinks (Gatorade, Lucozade Sport etc) that also replace lost minerals and electrolytes in your body.
Drinking water alone if perspiring can cause the remaining minerals such as salt etc in your body to be diluted and you can end up feeling a bit ill with leg cramps and headaches etc.

If you do feel a bit off try putting a small amount of salt on to your food as that may help you replace what is an essential mineral in your body but is also lost quickly when sweating.
Hi,

I went to Sharm at the beginning of July and I found that it hot, but not unbearable.

I'm rediculously fair skinned - never had a tan, freckles, red hair (you get the picture) and I was fine. I wore a SPF60 and a kaftan in the sea to protect my shoulders and that was adequate. Also, all of the beaches and pools have plenty of parasols, so if I felt I might burn I just lay in the shade for a while. There were tons of kiddies when we were there, and they were all having a whale of a time!

I didn't find it any hotter than when I went to Crete the previous year!
Worth mentioning that if it is very hot and you are loosing body fluid don't just drink water alone, you are also better to drink some of the sports style drinks (Gatorade, Lucozade Sport etc) that also replace lost minerals and electrolytes in your body.
Drinking water alone if perspiring can cause the remaining minerals such as salt etc in your body to be diluted and you can end up feeling a bit ill with leg cramps and headaches etc.

A nice sweet fizzy drink will do a decent job without the extra cost as well. That foul-coloured Egyptian fizzy orange stuff seems to do the trick!
I feel suitably reassured now, having read everyone's posts. Thanks so much!
This was one of the reasons I was dreading my first trip to Egypt - our first trip was to Luxor at the end of July, beg of August - it hit 51 one day! However, it was much more bearable that our trip to Side in Turkey the year before where the humidity was really high. However, totally hooked now, been to Sharm and El Gouna since and returning to El Gouna again this year - so the moral of the story is the heat HASN'T put any of us off returning!!!!!! Hope you can now start looking forward to your holiday and not being apprehensive. I cant wait to return!!!!!!

The only thing I found irritating was the fact that it was too hot to actually 'sunbathe in'... something I do like to do! However, the antedote for this was a lilo - I pop into the pool every hour or so, float for about ten mins back and front, then back under my brolly again to read! End up with a fabby tan without the blisters, sweat and tears, LOL.
my hubbie never wears any protection do you think he better never been to sharm before going july, he is completly bald but he will think he is macho and doesnt need creams :bhead
Michelle, if you are going to sunbathe in Sharm in July, then it matters not one iota how "macho" Mr. Maylor is, if he doesn't wear any protection then he will burn to a crisp and likely be quite ill with it, involving more worry and expense. He will then spoil not only his own holiday but yours too!
You say he is bald, well some say I am "thinning" a little, :lol: , but a hat is essential if you are walking around for any period if time, even if it is just along the beach.
In Sharm or in fact Egypt in general, it is not considered "sissy" to wear sun screen lotion, certainly for the first three or four days until you have a basic tan forming.
thanks alot with the way woman can work you men he will wear protec :roll: tion
We went last July in a heat wave and it was 130 degrees in the day and 90s at night, always wear some sort of shoe on the beach, one of the divers we made friends with had burns all over his feet from standing on the sand. He had to have plastic bags wrapped around them all week.
A siesta is a good thing especially for the children, if they are up to long, it could make them very tired. Mostly with them though its lack of fluids. You can buy dioralite from the UK as a supplement for lost salt.
I used factor 50 + (think it was a boots soltan product for kids, really thick and gloopy -yuck) for my two kids last April and they are youngish teens, I kept reapplying it ever couple of hours, and after swimming, even so the tops of their shoulders burnt a little :cry:

I can't stress how careful you must be with this, don't worry about them coming home 'whiteish" and not looking like they have been abroad.

Their long term health is so much more important. You do see 'red' kids round pools in Sharm.
Hi Lardy, last Easter I took swim tops (rash vests) for the kids and these were much more comfortable to wear in the water than t shirts. Next, M & S, as well as Surf shops sell them :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.