Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
* Car Drove Into Arrivals Terminal And Exploded *

Breaking News.

Look On Sky News For Latest Details.
We're going to Turkey tomorrow from Humberside via Glasgow airport. Should I be worried or not :(
Laura, keep an eye on the news and the glasgow airport link that David has posted. Follow all advice given.

Sarah
Hi I was just out shopping very close to Glasgow airport and yes the motorway is at a standstill and all turn offs to the airport are closed. The emergency services and media are everywhere and people have been evacuated outside the main terminal building. There are numerous planes parked up full of passengers along the runway. Glad they caught two of the culprits and hoping no one else was hurt or injured.Understandably,all flights suspended until further notice.
  • Edited by FionaI 2007-06-30 16:37:10
laura ... it would be best just to keep in touch with your airline tomorrow in case of any schedule changes.

David
thanks for your advice, will keep an eye on the news and websites. hopefully we will be okay.
Watching the news, I am shocked that this has happened, it has certainly put the fear in me.

Some of the reports coming from the news are just unbelievable but true, and change how I look at airports

I hope everyone is ok
Hi Laura,

The current update on Glasgow Airport's website is that all flights have been suspended until further notice and passengers are being advised NOT to travel to the airport.

Glasgow Airport Website - check this link for more information.
Leanne ... in case of any confusion, Laura is not travelling from Glasgow, she is travelling from Humberside via Glasgow. The flight may now operate direct from Humberside avoiding the stopover in Glasgow, hence it is important to keep in contact with the airline in case of any schedule change.

David
Just a matter of time before something like this happened at glasgow airport, travel from there all the time ,and there is virtually no security at checkin and arrivals , no security checks untill you go through to departure lounge, have arrived many times early in the morning and there is not even any customs check,just two young girls checking passports.

Bluepeterno1
bluepeterno1 .. that certainly doesn't sound like the Glasgow Airport I know. Security there is on a par with most UK airports, with uniformed and non-uniformed officers (some armed) patrolling inside and outside the terminal. Security checks prior to the departure lounge are obviously to detect any restricted items before they can be taken on board an aircraft. But like last year, checks may now be introduced again on all passengers entering the terminal building. Security checks (other than passport checks) on arrival are uncommon at any airport, as passengers have already been checked at the departure airport.

David
oops! thanks David! Read Laura's post wrong!

I'm shocked to say the least! and I wouldn't say that Glasgow Airport is the way you describe it either bluepeter, it's always been security conscious anytime i've been!

we fly from Glasgow 2 weeks tomorrow! Hopefully things might be heading back to normal by then but I feel for anyone going in the immediate future.

EDIT: Sorry Leanne .. I have had to edit some of your post, as we prefer not to discuss media speculation such as that.
David HT Mod
we are supposed to be flying from glasgow tonight at 23.00.dont know what is to happen.message when you call the airport when you call just says to contact your airline.we are flying with thomsonfly and there call centre closed tonight at 19.00 very convenient :( we will just have to keep trying the airport but it doesn,t look like the airport will be opening tonight anyway.
Sorry to hear about your flight, I would keep trying the airport and check for online updates.

Sarah
Glasgow Airport is now advising that anyone due to fly overnight tonight, or at any time on Sunday, should reconfirm the status of their flight with their airline, before leaving home. All flights remain suspended until further notice.

More than 2000 outbound passengers who have been stranded on aircraft on the airport tarmac since 3.15pm this afternoon are now being offloaded and transferred to a reception centre at the SECC in Glasgow.

David
Thomson have a post on their website advising people on 2 of todays flights , 1 is leaving from prestwick in morning.
Here's some info. from globespan too.
http://www.flyglobespan.com/news1.asp
P.S.
These were pretty dramatic scenes at Glasgow yesterday afternoon but I'm So glad no one else was hurt and none of the recent attempts had quite the devastating impact that was intended. Hoping everyone gets off on their travels asap and people are re assured now by the very high security in place in and around the airport at Glasgow. Long may that continue throughout the U.K.

I've relatives who were supposed to be travelling to Florida today,but unfortunately they've been told by their TO they won't be going today. They are waiting patiently. Hopefully they'll get away soon.
A slow and phased re-opening of Glasgow Airport is now underway. However, flights throughout today may still be subject to delay, diversion or cancellation. In addition to the 77 outbound and inbound flights cancelled yesterday, other flights have been diverted to operate to and from Prestwick, Edinburgh and Newcastle.

Glasgow Airport is still a major crime scene. Investigation of the incident and repairs to the terminal may hinder some routine operations. Additionally, many aircraft are still out of place and flight crew out of hours. Passengers due to fly from Glasgow today should contact their airline before leaving home, to confirm what time and which airport they will be travelling from.

Many thousands of passengers were affected yesterday, and the massive task of reuniting them with their baggage which was left behind during the evacuation is now underway. Most of those passengers were accommodated overnight in Glasgow, either in hotels or at a reception centre created at the SECC. Those passengers are in contact with BAA or airline officials. However, other passengers decided just to go home, and they should now make contact with their airline at the earliest opportunity to discuss their flight status, or to have their baggage forwarded to their home address.

More information will be made available throughout the day at http://www.glasgowairport.com but to verify flight status, passengers should contact their airline directly.

David
It would appear that there are now scenes of organised chaos at Glasgow Airport, as many thousands of hopeful passengers report there in the hope of being able to fly as scheduled today.

Check-in queues are forming outside the terminal on approach roads, with thousands of passengers currently standing in a queue which is already being reported as almost half a mile long. Many of those passengers should not be there, as their flights have been delayed, cancelled or scheduled to fly from other airports.

Advice is that passengers must contact their airline before setting off for Glasgow Airport. But it seems that some passengers are reporting have done this, only to be greeted by the usual weekend recorded message telling them to ring back on Monday. This has left them no alternative but to head for the airport, hoping that their flight will depart from there.

Airport staff are doing their best to advise passengers in what must be a very stressful situation, but as the terminal is not yet fully operational, external queues and considerable confusion are unavoidable at the moment.

David
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.